Suggestions for crafting professions

I am kinda busy so since i am at a birthday, but i would like to throw this up here for a bit of discussion and then i will go into details when i get home. this is my idea to some of the different professions which could be made and how they would go together and use what

Alright. back and ready to give an explanation, i will try to explain how all of the things are connected and what all of the bubbles mean.

firstly. this thing goes together with my Crafting pick two

https://forum.oortonline.com/t/crafting-pick-two/66

i am still against everybody doing everything, cause creating a niche is what creates a healthy economy. sadly alot of people want to not have any consequences in the game in terms of being forced to choose one thing or another, but that is still my opinion.and i still think it is the better alternative. but never mind that. to the post.

The idea is that the game have progression, use something to level something, basically a bar that looks something like this.

or to show it from another sandbox, which also have a pretty huge skill progress system, The Repopulation

Repopulation allows you to master every skill if you want, but it takes such an unbelievable amount of time its near impossible, which i can also live with, but back to topic.

the more you use a type of skill/crafting/gathering type the better you get at it and the better things you can craft/harvest. here are the tiers that Repop use and which is quite descriptive

• Unskilled
    Poor
    Below Average
    Average
    Above Average
    Skilled
    Very Skilled
    Talented
    Adept
    Expert
    Scholar
    Elite
    Master
    Grand Master

The better you get the more stuff you can make and harvest as explained, getting grandmaster in something takes a really really long time, so that is an explanation on how leveling them would work, here is the skill explanation.

All of the professions are basically one of two different types, Crafting or Gathering. The Gathering professions are the ones which gives you materials and the crafting is how you use the materials.

Gathering:

Farmer: Uses seeds to get things like vegetables and roots

Fisher: Catching fish from the oceans and lakes

Herbalist: The gathering of wild plants and roots

Miner: The gathering of metals and gems

Runemaster: The gathering of magical runes which are spread over the world

Survivalist: Getting skin and meat from killed animals

Tamer: The profession of taming wild animals which can be used for mounts, pets or breeding

Woodworker/Lumberjack: The gathering of wood for different crafting professions

Crafting:

Alchemist: Able to make potions to buff yourself and tonics that can damage enemies using Herbs aquired from Herbalism

Blacksmith: Makes heavy armor using Metal aquired from miner

Breeder: Able to keep a farm of animals and breed them, making offspring either with better stats or with the tratis of their parental, these animals can be used by a survivalist for materials

Carpenter: Able to make furniture using wood aquired from wood working

Cooking: Able to make food which regenerates help and gives longer lasting buffs. uses vegetables aquired from farmer, fish aquired from fisher, Roots and wild plants gotten from herbalism and meet scavenged by survivalist

Decorator: Able to make decorative items for houses and forts such as a banners, flags and other things. uses wood and cloth aquired from woodworking and tailor

Enchanting: Able to enchant equipment using runestones aquired from runemaster

Engineer: Makes items for different uses, such as bombs and gun powder.also makes Guns (deleting gunsmith) using metal aquired from miner

Heavy Weaponry: The crafting of 2hand weapons such as greatswords, 2hand axes and 2hand hammers

Jewelcrafting: Makes accessories made from metal and gems aquired from miner

Leatherworker: Makes medium armor from leather which is aquired by survivalist

Light Weaponry: The crafting of 1hand weapons such as blades, axes and hammers, uses metal aquired by miner.

Scribe: Able to make maps and notes, turning wood aquired from woodcrafter into paper and allows the use of runes to craft magical scrolls using runes aquired from runemaster.

Tool master: (unneccesary)

Tailor: Makes light armor for maximixing magical energy, also makes cloth which is aquired by survivalist

Wood Crafting: The creation of Shields using wood and metal aquired from woodworking and miner, Bows using wood from woodworking, and staffs created using wood and runes aquired from woodworking and runemaster (deletes shieldcrafting, Bowcrafting and staff crafting)

Looking at the list i would not mind allowing you to level them all up as long as it takes long enough, this might honestly be quite a bit of work but i feel like this is a way to create difference in who does what and make you able to feel like there is always something to master.

Gathering professions would only get broken materials if they didnt have sufficient materials. so a miner too low to mine saphire would be able to destroy the block but not being able to get anything from doing so because the person didnt have the sufficient experience at mining to get the gem out without destroying it (if you want a lore reason)

@james i know this is quite long but i hope you guys will consider the idea because i think it is a good alternative to not locking people down with choosing a few while still allowing you to feel like there is a difference on the different professions.

2 Likes

Depends, describe ‘profession’ and what you mean with that exactly I know at least 3 different ways that word have been used in MMORPG’s

a Jewel crafter makes accesories
Light weaponry makes light weapos and so on.

its crafting professions so that should be pretty simple.

1 Like

But does a profession restrict what you can do, increase your ability to do certain things or is it just a way to classify different action?

I prefer limitation in case you havent noticed, but too many people scream witch trials, so in theory just a way to classify the different forms of crafting, i would really hate if everything could be crafted in hand like now (i know this is really early) like ‘‘i have wood and stone, BOOM, pickaxe!’’

2 Likes

A tinkerer, assuming there’s a bit of the steampunk with crystals thing, a profession that focuses on making things that are mechanical, things to push, to pull, to grab, to throw, to automate and rotate. maybe the tinkerer can create a better home defense system than your average trapper, like in Tiberium Sun NOD’s Obelisk tower can laser the ■■■■ out of unwelcome things.

I think it sould be not to much professions. More then 10 are to many. I would like to have them a bit more grouped up. For example: …

• Weaponsmith
  • Armormaker
  • Equipment Engineer
  • Carpenter
  • Gemcutter
  • Miner
  • Hunter
  • Farmer
  • Herdsman
  • Cook

That would be quite enough. I also think that this Professions should not limit the player in there crafting abilities, but give them bonuses to the created stuff. Limiting would be frustrating.

5 Likes

Updated explanation

i always disliked armorsmith and weaponsmith.

‘‘Oh you just made a metal chestplate, here is exp towards working with cloth’’

‘‘oh you just crafted an axe, that is clearly the same as crafting a staff so here is some exp’’

its just… no.

1 Like

Will definitely check it out. We’re looking at player progression at the moment so it’s timely!!

2 Likes

nice. thank you for taking the time :smile:

also these skill levels could also apply to weapon use. i think you guys will come up with something amazing and want to make it original, but i have to say i really like this system (although i despise the combat in the repopulation >.<)

1 Like

I think crafting and handling a weapon are two totaly different things, so there have to be seperated skills for them.

just the progress bar, the more you use it the better you becomes at using it and then having tiers where you unlock abilities when reaching certain points i have a long post about it (actually 2) on how the skills themselves could be obtained, but on the site it says they are going for the feel of ‘‘use it to master it’’ :smile:

Using to learning/becoming better is good, but please no limits to crafting through to low skills … I love the concept of “you can build everything if you have the right materials”, they just don’t have to be good then :wink:

that on the other hand i despise like the pest. you dont want to be limited for not using time to level a skill? that would completely nullify any sort of progression, might as well give people who just started the ability to use epic master sword of doom, because why not?

that is such a bad idea if you want any hope of having a working economy mate -.-’

Sorry. that was a bit too rude. hope you understand the idea though

It’s pretty unlikely that everything will be crafted in hand at full release. I’d prefer the current crafting gui to be for work stations, and hand crafting to only allow one, maybe two slots, but that’s off topic.

In the few hours I’ve been trying to draft this reply (I’m on a mobile at work :frown: ) @thebirne summed up my opinion perfectly, so I’ll go with “what he said”.

The handcrafting should be there in a minimum form for the basic things you need, like making a forge or a workbench, things like torches too.

1 Like

yeah, I get your point. What is whith the need for a workbench, which you only can build when you have the right mats for ist (for example parts of a titan) which also may be bound. Or a generator cell, which you need to equip. On this way you can limit the capablilties, but not by skill. I just don’t like the idea that noone can build all stuff (without the need for month of gameplay for each branch)

For someone who is likely to never be big in the battle side of things this might be a challenge I would like to pursue. Master a profession or two or three :slight_smile:

picking a profession to level is the idea, making special crafting stations is also an idea i am playing around with and thinking about posting about. but there needs to be progression to seperate the noob from the master, things like this takes time, reward for being patient and persistant. cause where would the fun be if you had nothing to pursue from crafting, where would the economy be if you could make everything yourself with 0 effort.

@KuroKuma Kuma is this system better to your taste?

1 Like