Test 249: Pigment coils don't do much

Edit: Since I got some clarification in the thread, the best info for this issue is here: Test 249: Pigment coils don't do much - #7 by Rydralain

This seems to have possibly been missed among other discussions, so I thought I would call it out more.

Coils do not give a bonus to pigment output in any scenario.

With or without coils, this is the output for 1 pigment.
No skill: 4
1 point: 6
2 points: 8
3 points: 10
3 points & epic: 20

I put too many coils

This is with no skills:

With all skills:

I’m not experienced with pigments, so maybe I’m missing something, but I wanted to at least bring it up in a more visible way.

2 Likes

I’m fine with no bonus, I will be super happy getting 20 paints per pigment

1 Like

Yeah, 20 is definitely more than, what is it, 5?

If the coils are being removed, the UI needs to be updated and the coils need to be removed and… Maybe a refund plan? So I figured it needs to be addressed in one direction or another :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think coil reduce queue times thought. Just if the bonus isnt anymore, it should be removed from the UI.

1 Like

Ah, I figured I was missing something. Did you happen to test that the speed boost works?

1 Like

Hmm no last I checked the coils reduce the spark needed and increase the quantity of sprays created. 10 coils = 10% more sprays. I tested it myself at one point for my boundless guide.

Edit to add: I think maybe the reason you’re having trouble is you need higher inputs. 10% of 4 is less than 1 so you won’t get a bonus. Try putting in more pigment at once and see what happens.

However this was all several months ago and I haven’t looked at recent update notes so I could be totally outdated.

1 Like

That seems to be part of the answer, yeah. Thank you.

No coils, no skills:

Full coils, no skills:

No coils, all skills:

Full coils, all skills:

I think it’s doing the 24% increase, but the skill boost doesn’t interact with the coil boost at all. Thanks for the help, everyone who actually knows what they are doing!

I still think this is wrong, though. The % increase from the coils should, IMO, apply after the skill increase, not before. This 20 pigment should give 496 spray with max skill and coil.

And I’m not just saying that because I want more spray paint, it is just more intuitive :slight_smile:

3 Likes

How many blocks can you spray with one can? Could not find out from creative…

Regards,

Each can sprays one block.

2 Likes

Agreed! Much more intuitive

2 Likes

nice one, i tested that before posting but maybe i did not have enough pigment aswell.

Edit. No matter what they do with this bonus, this update will be great for the goo farming. 45 pigment to gain 900 spray cans is really decent.

1 Like

It occurs to me that the without skills is also this unintuitive thing.

No coils:
20 pigment -> 80 spray

Full coils 24% bonus:
20 -> 84 spray

Those coils are adding the bonus on the wrong end even without the skills. That should be 99 spray.

Base output = pigment * 4
Coil bonus = (pigment * .24) (rounded down)
Skill bonus = pigment * skill level

Output = Base output + Coil bonus + Skill bonus

It would be much more intuitive to make them stack

Output = (pigment * (4 + skill level) * 1.24) (rounded down)

2 Likes