Testing 17: Crafting and Dual Wielding

Good feedback @Vastar – thanks.

You shouldn’t have to hold both keys simultaneously. Q is held to assign items to the slots (when in the inventory), and to equip items from the slots using the mouse. If you want to equip items using the mouse wheel, you can just roll the wheel for the right hand, or hold ALT and roll the wheel for the left hand.

Good bug! @vdragon – you should log this.

What I mean is. If you have only for example 1 axe but put the axe in the left and right hotbar. If you have it equipped in the left hand then the right radial (is that what you call the toolbars?) will jump over the axe when selecting stuff.
Could mess with the anticipated position of the pointer when in a stress situation because you basically miss a position.

Maybe just not equip a second axe but let the pointer point to the axe instead of skipping that position.

I think that’s a good suggestion, we’ll put it on the list.

What would be your alternative suggestion?

Hmm, so you’d switch back to an empty hand instead of the item? (Which you can do by holding Q and clicking by the way, not sure if we documented that). That’s not a bad suggestion. What you you think @olliepurkiss?

1 Like

Funny enough I already wrote an answer to you 3 months ago about that^^ (And linked it twice the last month I think.)

This and the following posts from me should be pretty much the whole idea.

TL:DR Find stones on the floor. Bash them together to make tool heads. Take sticks from leave blocks. Make tools directly from stones instead of wonky wooden ones.

@AndyD Well visually and game wise you’d have an empty hand yea.
The pointer would be on both radials on the axe in this example but you’d only have it displayed once and you can only use it once.
Maybe the hand you had equipped it first is the one showing the tool. And the default for switching both at the same time would be your main hand (if that’s going to be a thing, if not maybe just the right hand?)

2 Likes

This was the first time I tried to exit by alt-F4 in a while, so it was more of a general statement than specific to this update.
Tho, iirc it was working right when I bought the game early 2015.

shouting

Hm, I ques I was just holding down “q” all the time because I´m not used on how I assigned my inventory to the hotbar yet :sweat_smile:
I still think that the option whether you want to press or hold ALT would be much appreciated.

Maybe something like a metal rod?

That is capable of mining stone + wood (instead of just wood like the current stick) thus allowing to remove wood tools from the game.
(Cause honestly, 5 minutes into the game I threw away all my wood tools and I´m not planning on touching them ever again :smile:)

Ever assembled some IKEA furniture? You ALWAYS need glue + nails for those :smile:

4 Likes

That just means you are bad at assembling them :wink:

3 Likes

Those things come with glue, even the manual tells you to use glue.

That would actually be a nice idea too. I’d be fine with either one. Yours might be easier to implement because it only needs a texture change.

to this day still haven’t used glue on any of the IKEA furniture I have assembled. (getting a bit off-topic though)

2 Likes

More odd to use nails in stone.

1 Like

hmm weird, bone and sap are ingredients to craft glue but if i ad both to furnace it still says missing ingredient. maybe bug ?

possibly, I haven’t played around with the machines yet^^

Use unrefined bone from animal drops. Don’t use fossilized bone or refined bone. That is what took me so long to figure out the recipe as well. Credit to @nevir.
P.s. it’s 2 sap and 2 bone per glue.

3 Likes

i see, 2 sap and 2 bones. had only 1 so i tought its not working

I would like a tabbed window with the different workplaces, its a lot of clicking between, and open/close windows.
Would like a close icon in the windows for the mouse to.
And that the ESC-button closed window, and not jump to system-meny.

And as suggested, move recepies from lover tier to higher. No more close window for to go to lover workbench to make some basic stuff.

Is eu-servers down?
I got only 2 us-server since the new patch.

1 Like

Hi everyone,

great to see such a huge update. Feels awesome to play with and now you really get a lot of feedback.

1) Controls
Current Version of Selecting items to one of the toolbars and switching through tools while not in inventory feels very akward indeed.
After I read the “q” and “alt” button press methods (and since I didn’t read closely) I intuitively tried this:
Pressing “q” and turn mousewheel to cycle left.
Pressing “alt” and turn mousewheel to cycle right.
Didn’t work like I hoped, so I needed to read again. haha but actually that would work great I think. call it method a)
Turning mouseweel without pressed key to switch both hands clockwise feels just right!

Method b) I had in mind is switch “alt” with “e”.
Pressing “q” and turn mousewheel to cycle left.
Pressing “e” and turn mousewheel to cycle right.
Turning wheel to cycle both

Method c) give us the chance to set key functions as we want by a key contol menu :wink: I don’t know how comprehensive this is planned.

2) UI (or how I could I describe this)
here I till now have just 3 issues. Could be updated soon.

• still feels weird to produce something and not been able to see how much ressource i have. Seeing amount of inventory somewhere while selecting stuff you produce, would be nice.
  • the camera direction to the character when being on workbench is strange. Why not putting the camera in his back with view on the workbench and maybe looking at his moving hands (hand moving animation required).
  • there is no indicator that you created outputs on the workbench. There should be at least appear a number that indicates the amount of stuff you created 4 same blocks + 1 tool = indicated number = 5.

3) dual wielding
Is it just appearing to me like this because I didn’t try same tools in one hand, or are they not hitting simultaneously? They are just hitting one after each other. Means I have the same working speed as if I would use a tool in just one hand. Where is the benefit of dual wielding then?

3 Likes

You don’t have to swap your active item! With the old system you’d need to swing → switch → swing → switch

I don’t get it. Why do I have to swing and switch? Usually I am anyway just working on one block type for the moment.
Then I don’t have to switch something… or did I not get your intention?