Testing 18: World Wrapping

thanks! makes sense now :slight_smile:

what is not available yet right @yota ?

Thanks for the information, the bug has been logged.

1 Like

i experienced random crashes yesterday.

1 Like

We pushed a fix for a case where lights were causing crash in some cases. If you do get crashes can you email in the mini dump files (*.mdmp) from %LOCALAPPDATA%\Turbulenz\Boundless\ to boundless@turbulenz.com. Thanks.

2 Likes

I had a few crashes last night as well… will fire over the mini dump files tonight when I get home!

2 Likes

Oh I like this concept, but won’t it keep world’s at a certain size? Not a bad thing really, but it would mean a theoretical limit to the size of proceedurally (Is that the correct spelling?) generated world. Is that the intent? And I would understand why.

Yeah that is the intend indeed, a limited size world makes it easier for the servers in the long run and encourages exploring new ones.

1 Like

To limit the size of a world is a good idea, because if you don’t do it you would have A: Worlds that will get so damn big (in data) that the servers may be in need for more memory over time, and B: People will be so far off from each other that they cannot meet each other if “out there”.

We will have many different worlds and we will get more if space get’s narrow ^^ (Also made by players (connected rented servers)

And since we have a regeneration you don’t need endless space :wink:

Yup, on games like Planetside 2 when Emerald is down I play on the EU server. Since that’s a combat game though you do need to be extra aggressive to counter balance latency.

I would not be to concerned about lagg connecting to a US server from EU unless you are pvping. Australia would be another story though.

I think the world size limit plus regeneration will work quite well.

The Worlds aren’t limited in size, they’re fixed in size. The World Builder and Generator can still build worlds which are almost any size: 2km x 2km, 4km x 4km, 16km x 16km, 100km x 100km, +. The balance we need to find is the # of players per world and the density distribution - so that exploration and community building feel good.

7 Likes

Ahhhhh. Interesting, very good. So say one world ends up being more popular then suspected, could it be increased from 50x50 to 100x100?

It wouldn’t be safe to increase the size of existing worlds (if you have a build on one of the “seams”, your buildings could be split in half!) - but new worlds could be made larger

Ohhhh, hmm. Interesting engineering going on here then.

16kx16k is quite a good space for maaaaaany people, keeping in mind that would be 256 km² … also in different layers through the caves and other circumstances ^^

i like that the worlds are basically not randomly created, this makes worlds more interesting and beautiful (no random things). Btw does one world follow same pattern or will there be multiple biomes in it? (example you walk certain distance to north and this sandy biome turns to a snowy or icy area or walk to west and you find jungle?

Each world contains a collection of different biomes.

3 Likes

One thing, do you consider a few more wipes in the next time?
Because the last wipes came pretty frequent.

Then I would wait as long as you say: “this wipe will be the last for some time (acc. your schedule)”

Because farming the stuff takes some time. And I just do to have a lot materials to play with the next update. But if every update wipes the world, it does not really make sense. The effort takes too much time and has no use later (if I am not searching for bugs and improvements or something).

@james what do you think?

I mean they’re trying their best with the balance of “let’s release new things to be tested and vetted by the community” versus “let’s try to polish and release things in tandem with other relevant systems and functions so we’re looking at the bigger picture as we go”.

Keep in mind that we’re still in a testing phase. If losing all progress on builds and resource acquisition is upsetting or frustrating to you, then you may want to wait until release to play. Just a thought!

3 Likes

Or just play on the ‘vanilla’ branch of the game.
The ‘testing’ branch has it´s name for a reason. This is where the community can get a first look at new features , not where big builds are meant to happen.

1 Like