Testing 19: Art and GUI improvements!

This update is accessible via the Steam Beta “Testing” release of Boundless.

This release contains a collection of visual and performance improvements. We’re trying to polish up the Testing releases before releasing it as the Live version for all players.

Release Notes:

• Optimisation of GUI Setup - it’s done at load time rather than when a button is pressed.
  • Fix for GUI menus not always coming up when the key is pressed (especially with low framerate).
  • New item meshes: glue bottle
  • Decals on machine crates to signify machine type.
  • Animations of working machines, but for one part of the compactor so far.
  • Re-enabled many sounds from the legacy version of Boundless
  • Adding more audio infrastructure for future improvements to Boundless audio.
  • Correctly set saved sound volume on startup.
  • Updated font sizes on some of the onscreen text when running at resolutions above 1080p.
  • Improved pad support for item radials.
  • Updated the mesh for plinth, machine crates, hammer, chisel, axe, and beacon plotter.
  • Workbench and flowers coloured correctly.
  • Updated OPTIONS and TRADING GUI.
  • Added Weather system back in.
  • Added Beacon Plotter mesh.

Resolved Known Issues:

The following items were known issues in previous releases and have now been resolved.

• Some meshes missing from the game (machine crates, plinth, etc).
  • Stone Crucible missing the gradient.

Known Issues:

The following items are known issues in this release.

• Some of the items displayed in the inventory screen are not positioned correctly.
  • Some of the items are not positioned in the hand correctly when the players are seen in 3rd person view.
  • Z-fighting with some items (workbench and other machines) when placed underwater.
  • Cannot ‘drop’ items from [Workbench Ingredients] and [Completed Items] lists.
  • Iron Fire Pit missing texture.
  • The recipes are not final.
  • Beacons and locks cannot be shared amongst friends as the friend’s token cannot be added to beacons.
  • Doors are too big when held in first-person view.
17 Likes

I had couple crashes and now for some reason I’m unable to use items on my left hand, they don’t even appear as if I can’t select them.

Aaah, perfect timing! I’ve got a 3 day weekend to WRECK THIS UPDATE!

…tomorrow…

3 Likes

Can you let us know what you were doing when the game crashed?

the gui pic looks fine i think i will test it this evening

Currently the GUI work is focused on function - a visual skin will be applied later.

First time I crashed was short after teleporting to capital in testus1 couple other were after minute or two after restarting the game and I were just walking around. I’ll mail the crash dump from the last crash your way, also I think I was about to go through portal on the second crash and after that I wasn’t able to use the left hand anymore.

Though the game haven’t crashed after those few times.

Edit: So seems that I just didn’t have enough know how of the dual wield system, so I’m again able to use my left hand. :sweat_smile:

by pressing e to trade you can spam it and it makes the other player unable to play, you should ad a delay before next trading

my iron hammer and iron axe look orange, like really really bright orange. Also, is the torch lighting range suppose to have gone down? And has the compressor been added?

my iron tools are green

2 Likes

If y’all could post screenshots of things that appear to be the wrong colour, that’d be helpful.

the black iron hammer (warcraft dwarves invaded my hammer)

the black iron axe

I thought it was just inventory and held items but the box disagrees

1 Like

Same here, the head of chisel, axe and hammer are black, missing some textures.

Good to see weather again, and the new colorfull grass looks good.
The sound of the goat when you hit him remind me of a stressed chicken. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I still miss the legacy graphics they where better and the textures

1 Like

Can you tell us the graphics card you are using? Thanks

It looks sooo nice, thank you guys :smiley:

I have red iron tools (chisel, axe and hammer). Seems to coincide with the mesh updates mentioned in the release notes.

My graphics card is way old… AMD Radeon HD 5800 Series … but drivers are as up-to-date as I can make them.

ok, logged back into the game again, and now they have gone green, with some small parts of the texture showing through. Could they be using the old texture on the new mesh?

Noticed an issue with items collected pre-update, in that they do not stack with the same items collected after the update (including things like raw meat, tallow and bones which I think aren’t tintable(?)). I’m guessing your internal ids on the server side of things have changed for some items.

I can’t seem to find a recipe for either the compactor or the plinth, so am guessing these will come in a later release so we can test them.

I think the stone container is a little too big as well.

Beacon plotter looks amazing by the way! So much more intuitive now!

1 Like

Question- How do workbenches work? i made one and placed it down can’t do anything