Testing 194: Epic Skills, Skill Sets and the Exchange!

I like this solution, as it appears to satisfy a lot of complaints from players while still making death something to be avoided (or alternately, rewarding players who successfully avoid dying). I didn’t have any issues with the XP loss (tho I admit I didn’t like the tool damage… although I kind of like the idea that if you fall into lava, the tools in your hands take damage, heh). I did like the earlier option to avoid death sickness if you were revived by a Healer (possibly because I have often enjoyed playing healers in other MMORPGs), not sure if it plays into this solution, though.
Regarding one player’s earlier comment about a non-obvious time frame for death sickness, I am not sure if something like this was already part of the plan, but maybe having a ‘death sickness’ debuff icon (like the one that already exists), with a countdown timer that decreases according to one’s progress at reducing the XP deficit?
Thanks for all your hard work and giving consideration to player’s concerns. :smiley:

-xCurryBear/Yurikuma

1 Like

Actually yeah thats a cool idea! Since they are exposed to the lava too :wink:

1 Like

This is really a very good Solution, i was afraid that with Release we get Boundless Darksouls Edition with the Penalties xD

To provide some feedback for discussion, this could essentially be “death penalty free” moment where you go on a spree of just dying because there’s nothing left to lose. Could be exploited by just going tank then die, mine under the lava, dig underwater till you die, etc. repeatedly.

Probably not something you’ll do intentionally but could definitely pop into someone’s mind when they have already died honestly then just take risks and make the most out of this unfortunate moment.

Edit: To add to this, so we are actually saying that a character on the highest level would not have any death penalty as they don’t need to progress further exp-wise?

2 Likes

I posted some days ago: Testing 194: Epic Skills, Skill Sets and the Exchange!

TL;DR: Buff to XP the longer you’re alive. Buff to survivability inversely proportional to the XP buff.

1 Like

I guess it’s a thing. But I don’t see a real exploit there. You’d still get the penalty the whole time doing it. And that’s a lot of sanctum visits, other methods are probably more efficient.
Not sure what you meant by tank and die, but you lose aggro on dying. So if you die you’re not a tank anymore.

For the highest levels being unaffected, well you can get 3 skillsets per characters so you can spend skillpoints for a while, and after that you still want to level up to get plots and others cubits rewards. You probably care less than a low level, but low levels get hit less hard on the xp loss. I guess lvl 50s are hit the hardest, provided lvl 50 is still the “max” level, where you get maximum penalty and still care for skillpoints.

Overall I think the proposed penalty is really fair and hard to exploit.

It is the same now with xp loss, when you lvl up (zero xp), you can go wild with no death penalty.
On the other end, when soon to lvl you mine in a solid mountain to be safe.

2 Likes

This makes a lot of sense to me :+1:t2:

My guess is its based on last level xp requirement.
Question would be: are you getting the 50 lvl death sickness when you are defeated when using a not yet maxed skill set?

FAKE DOORS!

1 Like

Could you make an exemption to death penalty while an unstable connection is warping you all around?

Could be exploitable though… Just have a macro to throttle your connection or something… Idk - anything that skips the penalty has the possibility to be exploited.

2 Likes

After reading through this post to try add my own views I then came to this which seems perfect to me. Think those that i play with would prefer it to current and current testing approach to. :slight_smile:

After playing a bit on Testing and setting the skills for my three alts, it does seem that each is quite lacking, perhaps this is due to being so used to my old skill-sets, but it feels however i play with the skills there is allot missing from all of my builds.

This may also be due to me not having played with the forge, meaning i am having to spend allot of points to use gem tools, but cant get to anywhere on testing to get to my stuff and test yet :slight_smile:

Change in number of skill points received, for early basic skills (just added) is a very big QoL improvement for new characters.

3 Likes

Updated OP with details of Testing 194.1.

12 Likes

Any chance that you can update live with this patch? It really will help the testing effort out a lot…

4 Likes

Agreed. I feel it’s close enough now to the wipe to have this stuff in the game and test in current worlds/builds.

Personal opinion of course!

5 Likes

I agree as well! Spend 1-2 days making sure there’s no glaring bugs, but then release! :smiley:

It’s always a balance between quality and urgency. We were thinking about trying to squeeze this onto Live tomorrow morning. But I experienced a few crashes testing Testing this afternoon - sooooooo it could de-stable Live for everyone. It’s a balance.

6 Likes