Testing 194: Epic Skills, Skill Sets and the Exchange!

Another way of saying it is “It was pleasurable to play as it was, now it has progress gating I am not comfortable with.” Not liking a change is not necessarily being greedy, and resorting to presuming other’s motives seems a little insulting.

However I absolutely am greedy and as well as adjusting the changes to make it less tedious to play I’d like double run speed and a supergrapple and fly and chocolate coins that spit out my DVDR as in-game rewards.

1 Like

Omni and friends really don’t want these patch changes to happen. Let that sink in for a moment. He says he’s not worried, but has his entourage coming to defend him at every turn.

I might not even do a shop for 1.0. But what I absolutely do want is that everybody feels empowered to open a shop if they want to. Not everyone will stick with it, or even sell much. But if prices are super low, only those with the highest stock will have any chance of making a profit.

3 Likes

Stop making this thread about players please. This is not a forum about players… it’s about Boundless. Keep it that way

On topic: My initial thoughts Of the new system is that it’s incredibly restrictive, but that’s only because we’ve been used to having so much freedom to try everything. I’m going to play on the test servers all weekend with a new character and see how that feels from the beginning as a new player. Until then, it’s harder to see the bigger picture I think.

14 Likes

schasm, that makes zero sense. If the game previously had double the drop rate of gems, fibrous leaves, and ore, but wanted to resort to the actual current state you’d complain that it “now has progress gating” too. It’s relative up to the point that more time and effort, while increasing value, doesn’t become too much of a grind. Only new players can determine that, since all of you old birds are accustomed to the old grind already. I mean, it’s shocking how shortsighted you’re all being.

1 Like

Unless you’ve successfully conquered mind-reading I don’t think you can be confident about that. It’d be better for us all to engage on the points raised not the motives of other posters. Otherwise it may escalate and a useful thread get diluted or closed.

3 Likes

I am confident about that. But I won’t go on, since I feel like we’re derailing the thread.

1 Like

I really think you need to drop the insults.

Resource drop rates are not skills. And yes, I may well “complain” that it has progress gating - that’s what I’m here for. To play, test and feedback. Time investment is a part of play and upping time required to do things is part of that too. I will continue to feed back that I think the new system is overly punitive in terms of time, skills and flexibility. I suggest you do the same and offer views about experience, data, systems, anything really except calling out and insulting other players.

You might want to reconsider me being an old bird too, I’ve only been here since about 191.

2 Likes

I did not mean to, nor do I think I insulted anyone. I love this game and everyone in it.

2 Likes

@olliepurkiss: This is also creates a potential P2W scenario. Until I get enough skill points to max my 5 skill sets I’ll be using qubits to unallocate crafting epics and switch them every couple of days (using single point unallocates) - that way I’ll be have crafting access to everything way before anybody who does not dedicate qubits to switching crafting specs.

I appreciate the need for multiple specs - but doing so for crafting with such a cheap respec cost or prohibitive but attainable time cost is ripe for abuse.

Well it does all come off as quite personal and insulting. Make sure to be more careful and not make things personal, otherwise your messages will have an unwanted effect.

5 Likes

I’m mainly a hunter. I like to do a bit of everything so I don’t get bored. I like crafting but since I came back I’ve bought most of my stuff, I get good money from my work at the shop and hunts, so I can spend on anything i don’t feel like doing at the time. I like all aspects of the game. All activities. And I like to try them all. Working at a shop alone even a small one was a bit too much work and commitment for me that’s why I recently joined Omni.

Being forced to make alts was a huge drawback for me. The game was good enough that I sticked around and leveled up my alts and now life is good. Still I was happy when James said alts wouldn’t be needed anymore. But it seems it was just a cruel joke.

As Omni said, if you want to craft all max level products you will need 5 skill sets just for crafting. Because epic 2s and epic 3s stack together that way.
gear crafting epic 2 + tool crafting epic 3
gear crafting epic 2 + weapon crafting epic 3
gear crafting epic 2 + tech crafting epic 3
consumable crafting epic 2 + food crafting epic 3
consumable crafting epic 2 + brew crafting epic 3
all contain mutually exclusive skills and need to be different skill sets/characters

Let’s say I just want to craft all tools/weapon/tech on my crafter, I’m not even interested in brews and food. I need 3 profiles for that, cause I sure won’t craft without the 20% spark discount. Meaning I need an alt for my hunter. Because you also still have that arbitrary skill point limit by profile. And apparently 3 profiles max.
Basically we were supposed to get no more alts. But we will still need alts like before, and now we have skill sets on top of that, which you need to grind for as much as for alts. And way more restrictions.

I must say I’m disappointed.

7 Likes

Love the update, so many things done, amazing work put in!

I like how game is developing, once more we can see that devs are really paying attention to what community is suggesting. I’d like to emphasize this since once we get what we wanted we take it as a given and move on to how new stuff could be improved. So I’ll just take a moment to enjoy seeing how suggestions I read so much times in forums were actually taken seriously :ok_hand: :sunny: :revolving_hearts:

9 Likes

I’ve started a new character on testing and I’m primarily a builder and what i really really love about Boundless is the concept of saving resources by masscrafting and that one log/rock gives you two timer/stones.
Meaning you only have to farm 18 blocks and get 50 you can build with, that feels super rewarding.
That way I have to spend less time with stuff that I don’t like (gather materials) and more time with stuff i like (building).

It’s not something patch specific (except that you now have access to mass craft quite early) I just wanted to express that feedback!

6 Likes

I just need some clarification. Do we gonna start with 3 alt characters at start or we start with only one and have to buy the other slots ?

4 Likes

I’ve never been on testing, could someone please tell me where I can find the Beta Access Code. i would like to experience this update as a new player to see if it’s as restrictive as it sounds. I bought this game because it claimed to be Boundless but from what I’m reading on this thread it seems that we much choose a career path and not be able to enjoy the game as I do now. I’ve just upgraded to Wayfarer and when I first saw the release notes for this update I thought it sounded fantastic and I’d made the right decision but now I’m beginning to have my doubts. Obviously a huge amount of work has gone into this new update and I’m sure most of it is for the better but being called greedy because I would like to experience and play all aspects of what Boundless currently has to offer seems a bit insulting.

2 Likes

You go to Boundless on Steam Games Library, right click, select Properties, switch to the Betas tab, click the first drop down & select testing. Then when you press the Close button it loads the necessary extra stuff & changes the game to the Testing servers. You can then play on testing. To get Live back just change that last bit to selecting Live or whatever the regular game is called. Edit: Ah you select None as in None of the betas.

3 Likes

Thanks Schasm … checking it out now :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I’m in testing but there’s no option or tab for my character skills, exchange etc … the only options are: Character select, Return to the Sanctum, Support, Settings and Quit Game.

2 Likes

Press Tab @GreyArt247, that’ll bring up the menu you need.

3 Likes

Thanks Steggs101 … I just kept using Esc :crazy_face:

4 Likes