Testing 194: Epic Skills, Skill Sets and the Exchange!

yha me to. had to ask jiivita in game to figure it out.
by the way thanks @Jiivita :fist_right: :fist_left:

6 Likes

Got the wrong thread, oops.

Grapple use costing 150ap when standard regen is 100ap is much less usable/fun now. Even with full grapple mastery which the unacquainted could be forgiven for thinking would make a grapple useful.

As is without investment in an epic skill as well as mastery / zeal, it’s pretty poop.

Your absolutely right Omni is making a stink because he wants to be able to craft EVERYTHING and then SELL IT ALL cheeper then everybody else!!!

And he is right in that this is pay to win and he will simply make skill sets to do it…

What we need is to get rid of the skill sets so Omni can’t just get around the skill limitations!!!

However at the same time many skills should not be skills… Jump Height, Run speed, the ability to craft building blocks all these should be universal skills everyone has!!! To build a nice fancy looking base should not require any skills everything else in the game though… Like Hunting the crafting of fancy tools, foods and brews thoughs should all be stuck behind limited skill walls… where choice matters…

So the issue here is there are many skills that should not require skills at all… As everyone playing boundless should be able to build there dream base with no skill needed… or enjoy traveling without skill investment.

But professions need to be professions and to master A profession means you can’t master the others…

So take many of these skills out of the skill tree:

Jump Height
Movement speed
Crafting Blocks
Inventory
Crafting Glass and Doors
Chiseling

Get rid of the skill sets no Pay to Win please!

And deal with the fact that a profession is just that…

1 Like

well, sorry, but I think this points are good as skills. To have them basic abilities would make the building and crafting branches mainstream and removes the need (and use) of being specialized in them. Yes, jump hight is cool to have, but not needed and an edge when in combat, especially when pvp will be a topic in the future. Same goes for running speed and all other mobility parts. Only the inventory should be on max (or at least higher then used to) because the basic inventory limited ALL aspects of the game to much.

1 Like

Building is Mainstream its the whole point of the game… You don’t lock building behind skills in a building based MMORPG…

So If I am understanding your post…

You want building to be a specialization too which makes you even more on the side of specialization then I am…

As I feel every Oortian should be a master builder and then have a Primary profession be that Mining or logging or Tool Crafting or Brewing or Food or weapon crafting or forging etc etc

So TheBirne there needs to be a Medium a place in the center that everybody is equally unhappy about but can deal with it…

Omni’s groups wants to be able to do EVERYTHING with one character…

And I am trying to propose something thats inbetween these two things that your side and his side can live with!

You want to be able to do nearly nothing lol

I feel a lot of darkness in your soul, young Padawan ^^ … I’m totally against “maxed out jack of all trades” as well, but builders sometimes don’t need to craft their stuff on their own (at least not all of it) because of the community and the ability to trade … if you remove the ability to skill in decoratives for example you remove a part of the economy and the community meta. For thew skill sets I’m also split in opinion. On the one side I like to be able to use more then one built on a char (used to through many other MMOs) but still it should be not possible to get the benefits (or at least nearly all) of ALL trades with this possibility. To limit them to 3 at maximum and the mechanic of epics which excludes others from your options seems to be a good starting point to get it working exactly the way it should.

1 Like

Blockquote especially when pvp will be a topic in the future.

Not sure where your getting this info I have never seen anything regarding PvP in boundless…
As an avid player of every MMORPG that had open world PVP I am not scared of PvP but with that said…

Boundless is not a place for PvP its just not… Some games are totally not pvp games and this is one of those!

Maybe a PvP beacon type thing could work… but never open world…

1 Like

I more think of beacons you can set to pvp (which was suggested more then once over the years) so that people may build arenas and then fight or even allow block placement to use on the fly builing as an additionals thrill. Open PvP should be a no go or at least limited to private worlds, that’s for sure.

So TB I think the limitation in professions will offset any lose to the market of decorative building blocks…

We have to have a give and take to get to the middle…
Many of us don’t want jack of all trades and
Many do want jack of all trades…

Skill sets are horrible no effort needed just reset skill points atleast with another character to still have to work up the character to get the skill points…

I think Skill Sets are evil incarnate…

As for the ability to buy more characters its still the same thing but with some more effort needed… I think if you reasonably price these HIGH enough and maybe put a hard cap on the characters 1 account can have we may reach an equalibrium…

But from my side of things!

Skill Sets are a Hard NO…

Skill sets are nothing more then a quicker “change to another character” option. It’s good to have it, but it should not be omnipotential (giggle ^^)

I like them, especially because I don’t have to use different chars with different names just to be able to go on a hunt with my miner/gatherer.

1 Like

I rather have multiple characters than a single character with a ton of different skill sets on it.

Mainly cause I like the idea of having alts that I can jump on and not get PMed by people or so I can hide the real identity of my warehouse, factory, etc. from customers of my actual shop(s).

Maybe you didn’t see this other post earlier in the thread.

Skill sets isn’t about Omni. It isn’t about anyone specific. It’s about players in general being able to play how they want. If someone wants to have 10 different skill sets on a single character, they will be able to. If I want to have 3 or 4 or 5 different characters each with 1 or 2 skill sets, I will be able to.

There’s nothing wrong with these being skills.

That’s the thing though man. Not everyone is going to have a character that has a ton of skill sets to be able to do everything in the game. I am not going to have skill sets that revolve around bombs since hammers are going to most likely be a far superior way to gather resources with the Centraforge (in theory and complete guess in the dark). Same goes for having any crafting skill set with brews. I just don’t want to bother making that stuff. There’s going to be plenty of people out there that don’t want to make tools or decoration blocks, etc.

There’s going to be players, like me, who are going to have a single character as a crafter focus on specific things to craft as an alt while also leveling up other alts to do the same because of all the level up benefits of plots and coin and qubits.

I don’t see how being able to do everything on a single character is a bad thing. The majority of people in the community asked for this in the first place. So now that we’re going to have it, we’re going to complain about it now? Because we’re going to have the option to spend money and get skill sets? That’s a little silly to me.

I honestly liked the idea of having free skill resets once a week. Perhaps the happy middle ground you’re talking about would be a free skill reset once every 24 hours and each character has a limit to 3 skill sets. I don’t know what sort of character limit per account there might need to be but I doubt there needs to be one to begin with since that’s a whole lot of hours being put into the game in the first place.

James has said they will be looking at possibilities for pvp on really dangerous worlds. You and others might not think Boundless has a place for it, but it does for other people and those who plan on having some sort of project to be made on those kinds of worlds. I’d have to look up the exact thread and get an exact quote of what he said but you can easily look up PVP on the forums with the search engine it has.

2 Likes

I could might be fine if the skill set change is still a skill set within the Premise of the character…

Like a hunter being able to switch between DPS and Tanking

But I dont like the Idea of a Tank being able to click a button and now become a Chef and with another click become a cook…

However I could deal with a cook clicking a button to be a Brewer… As this makes some sense…

This is what kills most sandbox games with a player-driven economy. It’s innocent thinking, for most, but that doesn’t mean it’s not still based in laziness and greed. I don’t mean this pejoratively; I mean it as a matter of fact. People want to play a game with little resistance and/or work involved. People want to have their cake and eat it too. We want cheap fun, fast. That’s just how we all are. But in a sandbox game with a player-driven economy, this mode of operation quickly causes inflation and boredom because everything is too easy to acquire after a certain amount of hours. This not only affects prices of goods, but also devalues any potential rewards for new players trying to break into the market, since they only receive pennies for their efforts, and only the biggest guilds make thousands of those pennies in transactions worth it for them.

If anyone on these forums has felt personally attacked by anything I’ve said, I apologize, but I’m not using words like greedy to target individuals. We’re all greedy - it’s part of our nature. But it also ruins games. If we use just a little more foresight, and think about the long term survivability of this game, we’ll want to make things a bit harder, a bit more limiting, and a bit more expensive for all of us.

1 Like

Nice would be an option to have the choice how much different char slots and/or Skill sets you have with a maximum in total. Like you have 3 … one char with 3 sets, 3 chars with one set each or one with 2 and one with 1. To have a player that is able to do all himself kills economy and versatility, that’s right.

I’ve got extremely tempered thick skin. Don’t worry about whether my feelings have been hurt. I don’t pull my punches with anyone from this community and never will. But yeah I get what you’re saying man. If I have a problem with you or someone else that I care to resolve or fix, you or that person will know about it. This is something I’ve done.

Having a character, with 1 million skill sets is completely irrelevant if they can have skill sets of every single point combination you can think of and then some. Why? Cause they still have to put the time into getting anything done in the game. If someone wants to be able to craft everything in the game then it doesn’t screw with the in game economy. Items still have to be acquired and crafted. That’s a hard fact of this game.

Having pretty much no limit to how many skill sets you can have on a single character doesn’t ruin the game. It doesn’t ruin the in game economy of items being sold and bought and coin exchanging hands left and right. It doesn’t ruin, hinder, or stop that in any way. Someone that doesn’t participate in the game’s economy because they can have all the skill sets that let them play basically solo on a pubic multiplayer server is irrelevant to any discussion involving what can ruin the in game economy simply because they aren’t a part of it to begin with.

2 Likes

I think I’m going to have to reserve judgement on this update for now as I’m still not clear on just how limiting these skills sets etc are going to be. If they mean being locked into a ‘career’ because some people think that’s what will help the in-game economy rather than letting people enjoy the game then I can quite happily go my merry way knowing I’ve had excellent value for money already in the 11 months I’ve been playing. For me the complexity and diversity of crafting is already a very good limiter without now being locked into an in-game profession.
I like to do a bit of everything, I like to explore, I like to build, I like to gather, I like to mine, I like to craft, I don’t like to have to rely on other people, I don’t like to run around all over the place looking through shops for something I need because it’s not part of my ‘career path’ especially only to find it’s so ridiculously over priced because of supply and demand. I’m not greedy I just enjoy being a predominantly independent player, my limited time online is precious to me. I like to interact with other players because I want to not because I have to.

2 Likes

I would like to know what is going to happen to founder package plot bonuses. Is it going to transfer over to Cubits you only get through leveling up and not purchases?

No where in the notes do I see that and perhaps that is intentional.

1 Like

Reading through a lot dealing with cubits, progression, skills, and the Exchange as well as current balance, I think we have all missed out on some perspective since we have higher leveled characters and aren’t getting the actual experience of leveling through these new systems. That said, I do think that some balancing should be done, but the main point of the exchange is to progress in the way you’d like as you play. I am personally for skill sets and all because it does allow people to eventually be able to do everything on one character if they choose to. Granted, it might be faster to use alts still, but the possibility exists on both sides now.

3 Likes

It’s been said many times there will be planets with PvP by @James and others. However, it’s your option whether or not to go to a planet that has PvP. From what I have seen, as with most games anymore there is a fan base for PvP that won’t bother doing anything else if they don’t have to. Some games you have the arenas where you can start an account and five minutes later if go straight to the arena you are max level with gear to match. Many of the fans of that will never do anything else as they can’t bear the thought of ever not being max level or not having max level gear. Then there are many of us who will never step foot on a PvP planet as this is essentially a building game to us or at least a place to escape from PvP games.

3 Likes