Testing 214: New player polish!

This update is accessible via the “Testing” release of Boundless on Steam.

Please restart Steam to make sure you get the latest version of Boundless. If the update happens whilst Steam is open it’s unlikely you’ll get the latest version.

Please report all issues discovered to new posts in the #support category.

The following release notes are not final and should not be considered complete or exhaustive.

Overview:

The aim of this release is to fix a collection of rough edges that hit many new players.

The most significant change for all players is that warping home is now free.

We aim to get this release onto Live early next week, so please try creating a new character and running through the new player experience.

Testing 214:

Sanctum + Tutorial + Objectives + Progression:

• Added an arrow that shows the steps in the tutorial to make following the tutorial easier.
  • Added custom lighting to Warp Conduits during new user tutorial.
  • Hide non-critical tips during the tutorial flow.
  • Add an error log if you try to interact with a campfire, informing the user they cannot be interacted with or refuelled, and to use a beacon controller instead.
  • On reaching level 10 and claiming rewards we now show a popup asking for feedback on the game.
  • Make warping to your home beacon be free, rather than just allowing coins to go negative. All players can now always warp to their home beacon for free. This is to help players who get lost, or stuck on worlds with dangerous atmospheres.
  • “Mapping the World” Objective can now be unlocked sooner by completing “Mountain High, Cave Deep” or having a Furnace in the inventory.
  • The Core Objective “If you Build it They Will Come” has had its Prestige requirement to complete dropped to 150 from 200.

GUI + HUD:

• Add various icons and markers to the atlas when held up in front of you, as long as it is an atlas of the current world. Any settlements and players as well as your home and any currently set destination on the compass will be replicated onto the atlas with the same visual icons, as well as the top-50 settlements, and any settlements in your Places menu, and will also show any other players on the world even if not on the compass. The atlas will also show your saved locations and beacons from your Places menu with the usual planet-in-the-sky marker icons. No icons or markers will be shown if the atlas has any resources equipped.
  • Made the atlas larger when held up in front of you to get a better view.
  • Upon dying you will now be given a second choice, to return home via the sanctum. Technically this is not something new, as you could always do this by interacting with the second warp, but many users did not understand this. If you have the option to “revive” then this will replace the usual option to return to the sanctum.
  • The game now supports Xbox One and Xbox 360 Controllers on PC with relevant Icons.
  • We will now only ever show the 3 most recent news items at the start of the game.
  • Added an exchange promotion for upcoming special worlds.
  • Added an exchange promotional item for our upcoming Gleambow Racing event.
  • Exchange promotional items will cycle on entering the screen if there are multiple to be shown.

Bug fixes:

• Fixed a bug which inhibited progress in the tutorial for characters who have gleam club.
  • Fix beacon refuel text when you need to get more plots from the Exchange.
  • Fixed early tutorial so that the correct number of items are reported that need to be collected.

Testing 214.1:

• Fix a crash with out of date clients when new time limited events are added.
  • Fixed a client issue when returning home after death that could leave the client stuck in the sanctum if the connection to the server was lost (only applied to returning home after death).
  • Fixed client crash when receiving rewards for >= 20 levels.
50 Likes

Portalling home for free will be even convenient for us old timers! Thank you!!

15 Likes

Looks like some great QoL stuff

3 Likes

All good things I am looking forward to the promotionals.

1 Like

Wah wah waaaaaah?

10 Likes

Love it.

Love it

Love it.

8 Likes

@james you should probably add “for PC” to avoid confusion.

1 Like

Fix the foundation, then add new content when your foundation is stable. Great update

10 Likes

wowowowowowow

Something that would be very useful to new players would be a legend that tells you what the various compass icons are. It took me a long time to figure those out.

Also, as a new player, the region system was extremely confusing. I had no idea why it was showing “???” at the top of the screen. Instructions for the objectives for using the atlas to discover regions were also inadequate.

8 Likes

When is tier 7 ? (

1 Like

This update will be great for new players! And good for us old players too. Thanks.

2 Likes

From a quality of life and time saving point of view, I can’t express how awesome this is.

The amount of time I waste just running back home…I’ll be able to get so much more done in the same amount of time.

Huzzah to you folks. I SAY HUZZAH!!

:heart:
It’s the little things!!!

sounds great! but if i’m looking for resources, wouldn’t it get too crowde-

ooooo you did it! you guys are so good. perfect.

Perfect. :ok_hand:

YES!
this is a sign of good developers. they understand not all of us use the same stuff!
it always bothers me on pc games seeing the xbox buttons. I use PS4 (and ps3) controllers!
Bravo, Devs.

?!?!

:open_mouth: :scream:
what are this?!
need more input! :racing_car: :rainbow:

2 Likes

This sounds pretty epic right here

Does the main portal still toss you away?
It is some of the most annoying things there are.

Should need an alternative to return where you died.

1 Like

This seems to be a point where a lot of people get confused/lose interest/quit so good time to find out why

It sounds like this will have no cooldown? Is this true? If so this will make my farming trips way easier. Not like people will get footfall twice if i’ve already went that way to get to my location

Ugh! I hate free teleporting!

J/K… some one had to say something negative.

Nice update.

2 Likes

Bless your 8-bit gamer hearts!!! :heartpulse::heartpulse::heartpulse:

7 Likes