Testing 218: Exoworlds, Blink, Rift and Umbris!

Fir most it was like the rest XP most mmos or online games offer.

After long sessions of mining and some time into management i knew i could come back to some “rest xp” lets call it.

Which allowed me to concentrate not on hunting or gathering but building. Thats the biggest issue now, plots.

Its only an exploit if it effects other players. Like is said before theres no pvp.

Its solving an issue by distrupting what is already a foundation for players, to earn something by doing a task. Instead of adding content to compensate for it which is over due in my oppinion.

These re skins of the same and old is getting really boring and they put their efforts into something that has no effect on other gamers.

Lets say im lvl 50, someone else is technically 200 because of the stone xp gain. How does his level affect my gameplay? I have not once ran into an issue where other players level or skills effected my gameplay in a negative way, this needs to be elaborated on, what is the balance issue?

4 Likes

Theres a lot of planets with plenty of room to build. I think encouraging more vertical building will make people having too many plots a non-issue. Bring the ladders, elevators, warp pads, etc so we can build vertically and spend our plots there

6 Likes

Just a quick question with all this talk about how much XP should be given for which activities and how fast we should level: Why does this game have xp and levels at all? What do we gain by levelling up alts? What would we lose if we just got 100 points to spend, and then another 100 when we buy another skill page?

I mean I guess you lose some character progression, but is that really something that you should have in a sandbox game? There are other incentives aside from xp for doing every activity in the game, so what is it adding really?

Maybe for a new player 100 point is overwhelming and you want some progression at the beginning of your first character just to focus gameplay a little, but once you have a handle on the game’s mechanics, I suspect that levelling and xp adds nothing to this game.

My 2c on the rock xp thing…

When i was first starting the game, i had no idea you could craft teaching pies, and then heaps of rock, to quickly level your character.

I was too busy exploring, building and discovering all the cool things in the game to care.

And i loved it. If someone had said to me “theres a way you can skip the first 50 hours of gameplay” i would have told them not to ruin it for me.

It wasnt until about my 6th alt that i actually used rock to level quickly, and i was well past needing levels by then.

I dont think this change will affect new players nearly as much as people are saying. New players have heaps of other things to do and shouldnt care (and simply dont know its a thing), this game is meant to be played at your own pace, discovering things along the way, and thats what makes it great.

Its us more established players that use the technique, cause we know it, and we’ve done the start game thing a few times and want to skip it.

If we’re being honest i think the main arguement would be “i want to fast forward the first 20 levels on my 8th alt, cause ive already done it 7 times”.

Its not about new people. I wish i could go back to those first couple weeks and discover it all again, and there is no way i would try skip any of it.

9 Likes

The concern of new people or people like me that are in mid game is not if they remove an exploit which isn’t used by that demographic. It’s that they are removing one of the sources of xp from the game. Early and mid-game players depend on steady influx of xp to continue progressing, getting skill points needed for new activities.

Here is my biggest concern: when end game players find the next mass craft item to abuse for extreme leveling will that xp be removed from the game as well? Do you see the negative trend that would form? Don’t take away xp sources from early and mid-game players due to the actions of end game players.

7 Likes

After we rock xp changes we might start to see these stone towers like after launch.

Only difference is that players need to do it now on beaconed area, at least deplotting is not needed anymore because of smart delete option on beacon :wink:

Ok, here’s my 2 cents.

Add a debuff that builds up for ‘over activity’ with xp gain. This way you can throttle the speed at which people can milk all the various areas they try and shift to gain excessive amounts of xp. It would be a diminishing return on consecutive xp flow, so let’s say you want the throttle the max to 3000 cubits a day, you could add a script that calculates all the players crafting during a 24hr period, and start the debuff announcing that they are getting diminishing returns on their efforts.

Case 1: I’m mining with a full stack of AoE fast hammers… by the 6th hammer i’ve earned 3k cubits potentially, and get the debuff for 24hrs. I can either log out, continue anyway, or go chill with a less intensive activity - the debuff would slowly drop off.

Case 2: I have a load of mass crafts popping out, and i’ve got an xp pie on. I get my 3k worth for the day, but then the rest suffers a diminishing return (maybe i make 4-5k cubits, and not the 10k cubits for all the crafts running because of the diminishing return.

Case 3: I’m a regular player who does a little of everything, and i’ll never see the debuff.

I think it would work, and force a healthier play style. The only people who will whine, are the people doing mass activity to milk cubits. I’ve been doing this activity because it’s there (and also somehow trees grow in mid air!!!, so need so many stupid plots!)

I would say if you implement this, please for the love of all of our sanity, kill anything that doesn’t touch the ground if you plot!!! or just trees/foliage if they break from ground in plots…

1 Like

Just witnessed the death of an exoplanet, the atmosphere goes up from 16min time left as follows.

16 min +1 atmosphere
12 min +2 atmosphere
8 min +3 atmosphere
4 min +4 atmosphere

After the timer goes to 0 you get booted from the server and the portal doesn’t open anymore.

12 Likes

Did the atlas revert back to being blank?

Yup, the item in it didn’t disappear either.

10 Likes

wow, interesting and we thank you for your experiment :no_mouth:

Steps to take for the rock to stone XP to 0. Instant Craft (Already being provided), Craft All (Needs to be provided) and just rip off the band aid and be done with it because minds will not be changed. Trust me I don’t want to lose XP for rock to stone but…it is what it is. I just don’t want to have to press a button a thousand times for no benefit. Craft all button needs to be implemented.

2 Likes

Nothing is locked behind levels though? You dont need xp to progress.

Maybe im the odd one out who didnt even notice it. I have no idea how much game time ive logged (ps4), 100s of hours easy, and i have 10 alts ranging between level 20-100, and never once have i thought “i NEED to hit that next level to do something”.

Again i get people would want to speed things up, and thats a perfectly valid reason. But its a want, not a need. And i dont think you need to grind xp to enjoy the game in any way.

But again, thats just my experience. I know simply leveling for the sake of the number is important to many people too.

Skill points are trapped behind leveling, and in crafting most things requires skillpoints. Atmo protection is also locked behind skill points. Even alts are locked behind cubits.

You and I don’t have that problem because we are past it, but not everyone has played as much as us nor are able to play as much as we have. Some folks have been playing for 6 months and haven’t hit 50.

Saying that we have played the game for 100s of hours means we aren’t casual gamers. When I look at this game from a casual gamer standpoint, it doesn’t have walls, it has cliffs.

6 Likes

As a recently new player I disagree completely about this not effecting new players. It directly effected what we did. We started building a town with wood first, but realized the timber gave no xp and stone did. So instead we built our houses, roads, bridge, and tower out of stone because it allowed us to level up as we went. We were not doing it for the exploit, but because the extra 2xp for each stone helped us progress faster. We had no clue about buff food at this time.

6 Likes

Other MMOs have this and it’s also a source of a lot complaints and opposes the idea that we can play the game the way we enjoy because if you do that for too long the diminishing returns creeps in and punishes you. The problem is also because the most devs stick the ceiling too low. If the diminishing returns allowed several hours a day of the same thing then it may be fine but usually I see it creep in less than hour and it just makes me want to log off instead of go do the things a enjoy less.

7 Likes

Yeah fair enough, as i said im sure many people have many different approaches. Im not one to be worried about progression as long as i have something to do. But i get other people move at different speeds.

Of course skill points need levels, but in my mind thats a good thing. I dont like games that are easy and give you everything instantly. So not being able to craft high end tools or visit the hardest worlds when youre starting out is a good way to do it in my opinion. Gives you something to aim for.

I guess my point was more that i dont think the levelling curve is that hard that not being able to grind rock will be a game breaker. Theres still plenty to do (in my experience), and i didnt find i was struggling for xp without grinding stone.

But thats why we have these convos. A thousand different points of view make the game better in the long run.

After the change in XP value we should all meet with our SS of crafting benches and toss them like graduation hats!!!

I think thats a good point. Even though i dont see it being the end of the world, i also dont see any great reasons to stop it if thats how someone would like to play.

Whats the problem that cutting xp is trying to solve?

I saw above there’s 11m+ xp being generated, but why is that a problem?

Is it just cause thats a big number? Is it just slowing progression to make the game last longer? Is it limiting cubits to help fund the game (i dont think thats horrible if its needed). Etc.

@james Maybe knowing what the issue with so much xp is could help to find an alternative, or validate the idea.

I didnt read 500 posts so sorry if thats already been said.

3 Likes

I just skimmed through a small part of this but uhhh im not really understanding how this is an exploit i mean turning rock into stone gives you xp. You have the pie of teaching. Whats wrong with making a bunch of stone while full on pie that you deserve cause youve done alot of hard work. Who wants to do more hard work on every single one of their alts!? No one because who has time or wants to put in the time for that. This game is amazing but in my opinion, to get the full experience of the game you have to put in a lot of time. Looks like ill have to just have to waste a reset token and change all my characters who arent fully leveled to miners and just mine to level up

4 Likes