Testing 218: Exoworlds, Blink, Rift and Umbris!

You will still get exp for turning the rocks into refined.

1 Like

Yes, but in order to refine them you have to do the painful process of crafting all that rock to stone for no exp.

5 Likes

So, spreading that xp out over the 17ish days of work you put in that equates to 654k xp per day of grinding. Or just over 3 post 50 levels gained for heavy grinding each day. Is that accurate?

Edit due to fuzzy brain…

I mathed wrong. 1.5 weeks is 10 days lol.

So approximately 1.1mil xp per day, or 5.5 levels.

I do believe the developers stated that they will reduce the process of rock to stone to instant like the tree trunks and whatnot so it won’t be that painful.

Yes, but that is quit labour intensive too. You click just as many times as before, just without the 2 hrs wait (which btw is not painful). So process is the same. Same amount of clicks. Same amount of moving stones from table to refinery…

1 Like

Losing 5,004 xp for every 900 rocks converted to stone is painful. The removal of the time to craft does not make up for it. It just adds a step where you get nothing for your effort as you still have to craft the stone to make other items.

Edited to correct math done before caffine (@a13o nicely helped me out)

3 Likes

Yes and no. That xp is just from masscrafting. I got same or even more for mining ores on t6 world, while passively building up the rock smart stacks.

Atm, I stopped using persisting pies and started using teaching pies instead. So now, during 1 pie I get between 6-700k exp (in like 45 minutes). So in reality, you get much more and TBH, mass craft isn’t that OP exp since if you spent 10 hrs of mining, you’d not only have resources for days, but you would get like 40 x 200k exp levels easily.

1 Like

I see the math is slipping. Remember that xp is awarded based on the recipe output, so each rock is worth 5.56 xp before teaching pie and 11 xp after. Therefore each SS of rock which takes two minutes of mindless diamond hammering to gather as a byproduct of looking for gems is worth 9,900 xp which is more than most meteor completion rewards.

yep too early and I got that wrong. So they are taking away 5,004 xp for every 900 rock crafted to stone using a mass craft. I never use teaching pies.

Fair enough if you have the skills to survive on a gem planet and if you have AOE tools. I do not have AOE tools so I am limited to using an iron hammer so it takes quite a bit longer than 2 minutes to get a smart stack even on a lower tier planet. I probably mine for an hour to get a few smart stacks of rock and some coal, iron and copper.

Edit: So should we nerf crafting stone? or nerf AOE tools? or add xp to the other activities to encourage players to play and do other things.

2 Likes

Here’s where things feel pretty crappy to the casual player. The devs are balancing things based on the extreme gathering ability of late game characters with heavily forged tools.

My mid level character can’t afford an aoe gem hammer at the current price range. To mine a SS of rock with an unforged iron hammer can easily take an hour or more to gather depending on world tier. Sure if I go to a t1/t2 world and spam click it will be faster. Im not generally mining the rock just to get it (unless i’m gathering that color for a build). I’m either gathering rocks in the process of finding ores, fossils, tech, coal, etc. I’m not coming back with several thousand rocks.

At the end of my mining trip I can currently pop the several hundred rocks I gathered into a table to process into stones that I can use in other things and get a chunk of crafting xp as well.

As a mid level casual player this change feels like i’m being punished for others actions. It’s already painful enough to get levels. Taking away a reliable source of xp from me sucks. It just means it’ll take that much longer to get my next level which gets to a point that it is de-motivating to me.

8 Likes

I mine a lot, and nerfing AoE tools would for me be much worse than nerfing Masscrafts. I mean, there is literally 0 chance of me going back to Minecraft cause of the tools on this games. Would be so slow and painful. I would nerf rock exp, but not from 2 to 0. That is a way too big of a change. Besides, some things shouldn’t really be changed once they have been in this game for this long. If they do proceed to go with this change, they should definitely substitute it with something close to as good or as good as this, which in itself wouldn’t change anything, just the way of getting the exp would be different.

I would also increase xp from other things. I don’t go hunt because I find I make much more money and exp mining - then just buying whatever monster drops I need, which basically is none really since I don’t forge, bake etc. Just buy pies, brews and everything else ready. However, if the xp was considerately better, I may consider hunting more often.

Some sort of exp increase for building would be nice, however, I’d rather have other reward than exp for that, but don’t really know how that would work.

4 Likes

While I think ultimately AOE tools are the cause of this, I would agree that at this point removing them would damage the game at least as badly as this xp nerf will. My preference would be to leave the xp for the rock and add xp to other activities.

who does it hurt if players can level faster doing more activities in the game? Do we want a game people want to play or one where they compare it to having a job?

5 Likes

t6 AoE hammers cost 7-9k atm. Just go to 1 hunt or pick some fibrous leaves and you will have it.

This is the thing in every game really. There are not many games where you can efficiently farm resources at a low level, at least not as efficiently as someone who has played hours upon hours to reach endgame content with vastly superior gear and knowledge.

But I do agree with you mostly, leveling shouldn’t be a grind - it should be enjoyable and fun while you travel towards endgame fun.

It hurts players like me, with a single character.

How do i get my plots now, my skills are unused because i cannot use them and to stick to a single character only one skill tree.

This is really going to hurt my experience, forced to create a second character just for plots right now, what a waste of time.

I think your right the update is for long term players with enough foundation in coin and plots these changes dont effect their gameplay.

4 Likes

9k coins is half my characters total available coin. Im not going to spend half of my coins for one tool that’ll only last a few hours at most. Plus getting a t6 hammer for a level 22 character that can’t even go to a t6 planet seems like a double waste.

Between work and family I get maybe an hour a night in game. Sometimes only an hour every couple days. Yesterday was about 3 hours in game spread out in 30-40 minute increments as I could sneak away.

Going on organized hunts is great in theory if you have the availability during the times they are going on. Solo hunting meteors doesn’t net nearly the amount of coins you are talking about.

5 Likes

No your right, in other games what you gather changes and goes up in tiers the higher level you are, never back tracking.

One thing I want to add here for the devs is, I can see a lot of folks want to have easier XP gain to earn plots. If that happens, whether buffing other activities and/or maybe keeping some of the rock -> stone XP, only thing I’d ask is that a closer look then be taken at considering blocking off big areas of resources as not allowable - though I know that would end up being a judgment call, but at some point a line has to be drawn if getting plots is on the easier side.

I’m totally cool with folks getting their plots to build huge cities and markets on, really that is something we WANT, but not so much when they use all those plots to build a huge empty cube on a planet to block off a good hotspot for themselves (one I’m thinking about in particular is quite massive).

4 Likes

I am SOOOO excited for this whole update!!! Thank youfor your hard work!! It definitely does not go unappreciated from me!!!

5 Likes

Malturialakrib has lots of these “boxes”, but I mine there all the time and never really saw it as a problem. I yet haven’t come across anything that wouldn’t be plentiful - as long as you know where to gather. But I agree, it’s rude behavior, but what we as community can do is just not use their services.

2 Likes

Meanwhile, you can grab 5 or 6 aoe hammers, 10-12 mega speed brews, and 4 teaching pies and get similar xp mining on a T1.