Testing 220: Chrysominter!

If the price is fair enough to warrant running around selling to, then people will sale them to the baskets.

3 Likes

My personal prediction is that coin may lose a bit of value but because the coin machine is only supposed to set a very low baseline, as I understand it, it sounds unlikely that there will be a big change in current supply/demand dynamics for most items anyway.

Players that become aware of request baskets giving a decent amount of coin for an item that the minter would pay very little for, will probably just be patient and try to sell to the request baskets and only commit truly overabundant goods to the coin machine such as stone, soils and possibly wood.

In addition I personally expect that all base values in the machine are very low on purpose so as not to disrupt the economy too much when it is at its present more deflated scale. The issue there, could be if (somehow) goods values inflated back up by factors of dozens, the coin machine would likely not be worth using a lot but then that would be true of footfall and objective reward coin too. But this is all speculation on my part and so much depends on the current value of coin in itself. I’m not an economist or mathematician. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I remember when I first started playing the game I would mine hundreds of blocks just to fill baskets to make coin to buy better items I couldn’t craft yet. I think this will be excellent for new players, especially if the guild has machines compactor etc, that guild members have access to use. So if you can’t afford power coils right away you can still benefit to craft machined items needed.

I think a big problem there is that there aren’t as many shops buying the amounts of straight rock as there used to be. Like you I remember first starting out and making close to 5k selling all my rocks when I got my first 2x1 “aoe” hammer. I remember @DKPuncherello was selling them in his original ultima shop before he turned it in to a mini hub due to server issues. DK was one of the few that would forge some newbie friendly “aoe” iron tools but eventually mostly everyone quit making them because the mats used to make a 2x1 ‘aoe’ iron hammer are the same mats used in gem aoe hammers. Understandably everyone switched to using their mats on the gear that yields the best profits.

This is a design, a major design, issue that I have with the forging system.

That totally separate issue aside, there game we remember starting out with isn’t the the same game new players today are starting with. The population, economy, and balance as changed a lot since then.

2 Likes

Silly question what is a mat.

It’s short for material. Such as Rocks, Rough Diamonds, Trunk, Sticks, Glass, etc.

1 Like

Oh that makes sense now Thank you. I think I am going to open a newbie store and call it newcomers. Charge 25 coins for iron and copper tools, sell whatever I can all below 25 cents. With freebies for those starting out. Also could make coin generators and if I am friended, they get one for free.

3 Likes

I would like to see the chrysominter be able to be aligned with a guild so all coin generated from it will immediately be deposited.

13 Likes

Chrysominter added to the boundless wiki!
https://boundless.gamepedia.com/Chrysominter

Feel free to add additional information or correct any of the information I was able to dig up about the new “crafting machine”. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I really like the idea of a calculated base-price for goods, so that you can always be fairly certain that there ‘will’ be request baskets out there paying more …if you can find them. I really like that we’re getting fractional prices.

My main concern is that I’d like to know what mechanics (if any) have been put in place to ensure that the same things don’t happen to this that happens to other activities within the game, namely:

1. End game players with end game tools find the most efficient way to use the minter.
  2. The minter gets balanced around that use-case
  3. The minter becomes essentially worthless for any other users.
3 Likes

The problem with this is that it’s really difficult to determine that with the player base. If there’s a mechanic, the playerbase is going to try to exploit it in order to be more efficient.

Just wanting to make sure this doesn’t become a rock xp thing all over again?

I say we all just set the price of rocks to 1000c so when we put the rocks in that we can make a butload of money off of it.

1 Like

Exactly. After New Leyden went down, I’ve struggled to consistently find mid tier AOE tools yet high end gem AOE tools are everywhere. I suspect your reasoning is exactly why and it some sort of scalability needs to be introduced to fix it.

1 Like

I experimented with the newbie tools at the Shop Express. I expected newbies to get the stuff. Instead all levels of players came and just bought it all at once until I priced it high enough that newbies didn’t want them any more, but the price still wasn’t high enough to sell it to seasoned players. What I didn’t try was making absolute tons of the tools so that it would be near impossible for one player to have a need for all of them. I suspect other shop owners were buying the free or discounted newbie items to resell as well.

1 Like

Freebies and low-cost giveaways never seem to work as most people intend them to, I’d hazard a guess that it may be because it involves a certain amount of trust; trust that cannot exist when the seller is technically just a shop stand - the shop stand can’t possibly know who to trust. And it can’t just be about level, either - a high level player like myself could simply make an alt for the freebies even if levels restrictions could be applied.

After all, it is an MMO with a player-driven economy, so of course people are always looking to buy low and sell somewhat higher - it’s probably part of what keeps prices at certain levels and is just how MMO economy tends to work - but it’s worse that people don’t see it coming and expect everyone to be “good” about it.

I don’t honestly think a robust mechanic solution can ever be developed for this situation; the best thing to do may simply be to help people that you properly meet and get to know, since that way there is a better foundation for trusting them and for knowing that you have given your free stuff to someone who does need it. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yeah, sort of dealing with this now… going to change a few plinths into newbie help but trying to figure out a price point that will be well within the means of newbies but not worth the bother for others. I was sort of thinking that by just putting out very small amounts at a time it might help there, and they aren’t near my main store area so not right in everyone’s face.

Updated OP with @Jiivita’s video overview. Thanks :star2:

7 Likes

Updated OP with details of Testing 220.2.

16 Likes

Updated OP with details of Testing 220.3.

21 Likes

:+1::+1::+1: muy bueno

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.