Testing 224 - Farming Earthyams and Bulb return ratio from harvest

This is no where in the patch notes or in the game

How does this kill off a portion of the game? People are still going to gather inky ect so gathering is still strong.

4 Likes

I believe the amount of effort required to set up the farm, harvest everything, and then replant everything is more difficult than it takes to harvest stuff from a mud, soil or leaf farm.

Given this, I don’t believe the economy would be adversely affected. A player may have 10,000 seeds, but the amount of time it would take to plant, grow and harvest them all would not be much faster than harvesting enough mud blocks to get just as many yams, or leaf blocks for starberrys (which we can currently do)

If you are really concerned about it, then lowering the crop yield to 1 max per plant, but allowing 1-2 seeds per plant, should further rectify this.

3 Likes

i meant gathering seeds, i didnt mention other gathering

1 Like

Yes there is effort to set up the farm. After that point, every time you sow a crop no additional effort is required. No placing new blocks, no repairs, no replacing water. Nothing, just place a crop.
I wasn’t the designer on this balance but it makes sense to me. But we can check analytics and study how it goes and make adjustments before gut feelings

6 Likes

Gathering seeds, plants that you can 1 shot on any Tier with a starter totem. Why is that a critical part of gathering when gathering accounts for tons of valuable surface resources. Talking about killing parts of the game you are removing block farms in favor of surface gathering with timegates?

3 Likes

then that makes this update just another timegated grindfest which the game des not need! the old regain system worked 100% better then this one

the economy was DOA the reasson so many people in this thread want the farm system to be self sufficient is cuz we dont want to have to spend hours runing around looking for A. a active shop B. a active shop with stock and C. a active shop with stock that is not over priced.

until the game gets some kind of auction house solo play is going to be on alot of peoples minds

3 Likes

This is not gut feelings, 67% seed yield means gathering after every harvest. This IS surface gathering with timegates.

4 Likes

100% drop chance for seeds should be the max, require fertilizer (which needs to still be farmed or bought) and an ideal setup which will require a lot of space.

We should keep in mind that seeds need to be gathered AND fertilizer. We can use the two to create balance.

6 Likes

Almost agree but should not require fert for 100% yield as you can only get the mats for it on exo planets. Fert should give you bonus seed/mat yield.

5 Likes

That part of the economy does not exist currently so is it really necessary for the game? If you are merely trying to create more items to sell then how about more crafted items?

There is still effort to plant, harvest and to fertilize the plants. Why is this any less effort than putting an item in an atlas and one shot picking it?

4 Likes

Yes, I think 100% as the max makes sense. This means that you still have to continue to gather more seeds of you want to expand your farm, and it makes the effort you put into your farm worth it.

I see how any more could get out of hand, but with any less, personally, I would just go gathering. It may not be more efficient, but it would be more fun.

2 Likes

This would be ideal, that way we wouldn’t get a runaway excess of seeds.

2 Likes

Thank you. While I make pies I don’t obviously make them in huge quantities and understand the full grind behind that supply chain.

In a general sense (ignoring the current farming balance) would lowing the yam count and other resource count help balance the situation some? Meaning that if they are going to be very careful on the farming balance they have could efforts be done to improve the ingredient ratios needed now that the method of gathering has changed some?

I think the biggest challenge is people are used to and have an expectation of an easier gathering method especially with AOE tools and using regen bomb (which likely was never intended) to speed up gathering times. This has changed the expectation of how long something should take to get a resource.

I assume you all are open to the concept of rebalancing food and other recipes a bit to many keep things in line with the NEWER method of getting these resources in quantity? If so, what kind of data or context do you need to better understand the challenges people are facing with making the things these farming resources are used for? Is it just as simple as someone saying that instead of 360 yams to make a pie we think 300 is a better number? Or what?

3 Likes

Not to mention the new system REQUIRES you to have plots, maybe large amounts of them to make a meaningful amount of some of the long growing things.

btw I hope that locked thread message flashing there for a moment was just a bug :smiley:

9 Likes

This is a general statement based on a varies of things I’ve seen in response to the devs and these features…

I think many people are looking at this incorrectly if they see it as killing parts of the game. People need to understand that the game will change over time as they add features. Some things will need to go away or change.

In some cases, yes we need to push back on the developers and make them maybe not remove the features. In other cases we need to step back and see the game from a bigger perspective. Farming is a new way and provides more content and engagement. If we had it immediately in the game people would not be complaining about things they lost. Now that it is here new people won’t see what they are missing out and will understand the resource acquisition method that is being put in place.

We should be looking to balance a variety of things not argue on a single feature adjustment… Balance the whole system.

4 Likes

Idk, it doesn’t seem like a difficult thing to me to farm 360 exo yam plants for a mass craft of persisting pies. That’s a lot of buff time for 50 pies as an end result.

3 Likes

The fact is the new system is just surface gathering and not farming, not really. Farming should be something you do to avoid having to run around and surface gather for hours not in addition to running around for hours.

3 Likes

Out of interest, are a player who tends to avoid the MMO aspect of the game and trading?

Fair enough, gut feelings aren’t and can’t be, evidence, but I have already been dedicating quite a bit of time to making some reasonably sized farming areas in testing, and the fact is that I did already spend several hours on those “few” crops, but I did not even gather the seeds manually, I cheated them in with the cheat menu.

Gathering the 730 seeds I cheated in… by hand… How long will that take? I don’t really want to find out myself based on the general number of plants I’ve already seen spawned around in the test worlds.

By all means though, I do want someone to gather a couple of thousand seeds on testing and report how long they actually took to do it, and with what run-speed etc.

1 Like