Testing 224: Farming!

Did some testing it seems they calculate the bonus from 3 blocks away of the crop.

2 Likes

I would like to test but we have no access to the higher tier planet on testing atm.

My understand after asking some explanation on the process was :

• If you collect a Red Goo Crop and plant it on a Coal world, it will mutate to a color toward the black.(i.e becomes dark red) once fully mature.

• if you plant a seed from that harvest (the dark red) on the coal world it will mutate again to a darker version. you can process this until you get complete black.

• Once you get the color you want via the mutation, you can then harvest it, go plant it on a lush world to not mutate the color anymore.

• Big issue i think over this(can’t test the density we can get on an exoworld atm) is the diminish return of the seed. So eventually you will end up with less seed of the color you want to none, so you will ahve to repeat that process.

7 Likes

Just checking if I’m reading this correctly?

Does this mean we have to slope chisel before we can till, so cannot till an unchiselled soil block?

You’re not…

I read it as: any non cube or slope chiseled blocks can not be tilled.

Just like square and bevel chiseled soil can’t be used to plant grass on…

Hello Devs :smiley: did you notice that this farming update is unplayable to new players? since most of seed/materials comes from high tier worlds/EXOs? can you please make this an alternative form of getting fruits? removing existing way of obtaining fruits again you make this game difficult to playing, you forcing us to make farms if we still want to make foods, did you notice that we have schools? works? families? mainly we have like 2-3 hours a day for playing and really we dont want to spend this time just gathering seeds, to farm them, cultivatind, waiting days to get fruits to make food… i waited for that update, was excited but now… i feel forced to make farms becouse it will be only way to make foods. AGAIN - make this alternative way, not only

3 Likes

I had already answered this question previously, just a couple of posts down from Kal’s question.

Not aimed at you specifically, but this is a problem with forums, info becomes lost really easily if it’s in the middle of a long thread.

Here it is again anyway for others: Testing 224 - Farming Earthyams and Bulb return ratio from harvest - #89 by NerArth

2 Likes

That is what confuses me. With the current seed returns how could you change the color?

Say I wanted to mutate it two times then harvest it on a lush. With the current 60% return rate it would fail. You wouldn’t get a seed back enough times to mutate it.

I wonder if goo has a different seed return?

I’ll try to check this later, but in the mean time, be aware that you can change the ratio of pigments in the spray mixing machine to change the colour.

For example, in the spray/colour mixing machine, having 1 Warm Cherry + 1 White will give something different from 1 Warm Cherry + 3 White; that’s off the top of my head, but I have posted screenshots of this already, buried somewhere… :confused:

1 Like

I did see that. I was assuming I needed to mutate the color before that step to get the color I needed.

1 Like

I have to say this does give a massive reason to go to every EXO that spawns, more so than even the Lucent gems IMO.

2 Likes

Haha, yeah, I’m seeing :moneybag::moneybag::moneybag: :wink:

This is great for someone like me who likes to gather and sell the base stuff. As it is, the T7 exos are a huge income generator for me. I’ve already got my Farmers Market set up, but I’m thinking I may do farming more for myself and gather more for the income. Those who don’t want to gather can come buy, I sell cheap! :wink:

1 Like

Or come sell to my baskets! :wink:

Seems I need seeds, lots of 'm!

1 Like

The Large Fossils alone pay for the trip. With inorganic seeds and the fert fluids T7s are turning in to massive paydays lol.

1 Like

Will do! :smiley: I’ve been selling more to baskets lately, in a bit of an economic slump at the moment, spending too much, haha. I’ll sell to your baskets and turn around and spend it on your tools! :wink:

1 Like

I went the super independent route so I have nothing to really spend my money on XD

1 Like

Seeds for Earthyams and Berries are found on Starter Planets. When you harvest the new Earthyam or Starberry plants to get fruits right away as well as seeds. So it’s your choice if you want to grow the seeds for more fruits or if you look for more wild plants. I did this on the test server within the first 10 mins of starting a new character.

But farming of course also has a progression to it, like everything in this game, so for higher level farming products you need to be further along in the game. But that its not available to new players is not true.

1 Like

yeah this is my last point, big issue atm you may not be able to get the color you want before no seeds. and the return seems to be at 67% too so yeah i think this need a bit of adjustment.

EDit: i have palnted some yesterday but they seems to take a lot of time to grow. so idk what will be the yield for those yet.

This is the same as things like Gems and Ancient Corruption. They are not intended for new players, otherwise there would be no progression.

Beginners will see no difference. Instead of breaking Foliage and Rosetta Nox to get raw food, you break wild Basic Crops that are found on all Worlds. By the time you need the higher-tier food ingredients for your Spitter Pot Pies and Potent Protecting Tikka Masala you will be high enough level to farm them or rich enough to buy them from someone who does.

The current design is not final and there is definitely room for improvement before release. But the way this affects starter Characters is not one of the problems here.

1 Like

I think we often look at the “new player” within our own understanding of the game. This assumes a new player would know what is going on and where to get food.

The current non meat food gathering method is not intuitive. Having a food plant is far more likely to be understood by new players. It will likely make far more sense than getting food from random foliage, soil/peat blocks and ground plants.

6 Likes

I forged a shovel that can collect all liquids & tested it. Works excellent.
I planted a bunch of seeds last night around midnight & checked on them today(10 hrs later). Some did well, some not so much lol
I :heart::heart::heart: the starberry plants & being able to place liquids

6 Likes