Testing 224: Farming!

When they’re ready, you whack 'em like grass or surface resources

Anyone else not getting seeds back from fully grown earthyam crops? Seems like i should be getting at least 1 seed a harvest.

1 Like

the server has full sunlight information matching the client, so as far as sunlight goes, if the crop is visibly lit by the sun, its also in the sun as far as crops are concerned (but may be too dark still, there are thresholds set so that above a certain amount of sunlight the crop grows at full speed, and below a certain amount of sunlight it stops growing entirely, and inbetween scales the growth rate). Inorganic crops hating sunlight have different thresholds so above a small amount of sunlight the inorganic crop will refuse to grow and really wants 0 sunlight entirely.

indoor farming also works with gleam light (does not currently match the client yet), and inorganic crops also want to have gleam light (but dont “require” it, only they will grow slowly without it)

14 Likes

Thank you for all the hard work. Was INK leaves or anything that gave us ink considered as something we could grow? Would it be considered? @James @lucadeltodecso @SamF

3 Likes

Does it have to be gleam only? Might sound dumb but how about gleam lanterns? :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Lol. You and me both haha

1 Like

So noticing that you do not get a new seed/bulb every harvest which forces you to go and gather more from the wild, this would seem to defeat the purpose of farming.

6 Likes

You will need to craft a “liquid Breaker” tool, either hammer, shovel or axe in the Forge. You will then be able to break liquids, hold them, and place them within your beacon.

Yes this is the intended design. It is not a 1-1 yield ratio. If you want a better yield return of seeds you need to work on optimizing your farm via fertilizer or the way you have the components of the farm - water, soil, etc organized. Even then full optimization I am pretty sure will not get a 1-1 return in any set up but very close.

I optimized by meeting all the requirements, what is the point of farming if you have to go gather the seeds/bulbs anyway. This just adds another grindy step of gathering materials, you have to gather AND farm when before you just had to gather XD. Fully optimized should double your seed/bulb return while unoptimized should give at least 1 per plant,

8 Likes

food crafters and sellers rely on gatherers selling them ingredients - the same here: expect farmers to rely on gatherers as well; designed to make the economy going and create demand for certain items and gathering jobs

2 Likes

You need zero skills to gather the plants, less than the old school surface resources as it all takes 1 hit by any tool. So the vast majority will just gather them on their own as it takes no skills or ability to gather them. Again this just adds another grindy step to grinding for mats while calling it farming.

3 Likes

I’d imagine it would be different for t6+ planets and exo planet plants

Oh wait don’t have to imagine since you do need skills to survive on those planets

Skills you would already have if you are level 50 aka those people trying to make money gathering 1 hit plants likely will not have them and you are left with doing it yourself.

Yet people still buy shim orbs, exo yams, grass seed etc

My point is that if you can not even manage to replant a field with seed returns then all this update is doing is adding more grind to getting those materials, adding another step to an already grindy process. Considering the investment at the very least you should be able to completely replant if you meet all the reqs doe max yield but that is not true.

11 Likes

I think your point makes sense for solo games. In Minecraft you can get one wheat and make a whole farm eventually.

Since Boundless is an MMO I would compare it to there MMO farming systems which depreciate and need influxes of new materials.

Even the wow farms in MoP required new seeds and questing to keep it going riding back to the core gameplay mechanics.

I think slow depreciation of resources makes sense. This game requires us to be using materials and going out to get more.

This farming system supports that. Depending on the depreciation rate.

So you can go gather exotic earthyams, and grab the plants too then farm them up and multiply your yield. Or you can buy the seeds from people and just raise them yourself.

Personally the system makes sense to me.

6 Likes

you cant gather them anymore tho its farm or bust

4 Likes

It is not a slow depreciation of seeds, 1 harvest and your down to less than half of your field in returns. Meaning you have to gather for EVERY crop. So what does this add other than a built in wait timer?

3 Likes

That is only the basic forms. Because they drop from the plants in the wild in addition to the seed.