Testing 224: Farming!

It was reported here (although I think you posted it about an hour or two earlier).

In any case, there’s a fix for this.

1 Like

@james that was a lot of work you listed there. Thanks I really appreciate it, and that must feel good to get all that off your guy’s plates. Impressed.

3 Likes

I think its a bad idea to take away drops of yams and berries from soil/mud/foliage blocks.

5 Likes

If they balance farming them with farming to be on the same level as block farms I think it’ll be fine.

2 Likes

Not everyone wants to stand around watering and picking plants. I personally find it boring.

3 Likes

But youknow, standing around breaking the same blocks for an hour is much more engaging! /s

The way I see it its good they removed it. It encourages more people to farm and, more importantly, opens the opportunity to sell these goods to people who cant be bothered.

4 Likes

So if this goes like people say. How new people get food like really early stage? Cannot rly rely on raw meat. Or does staberry plants drop starberry too?

1 Like

Yes. The wild starberry plants are the exact same you’re going to grow, with a 100% seed and starberry drop chance. The self grown plants have varying drop chances based on the surroundings.

So then you can plant the seeds in foliage and get another starberry, two starberries if you make a better environment for growing them.

You can even stick a raw starberry in an atlas to find the wild plants.

2 Likes

Kindof a bummer if youve built a very large starberry farm though lol

3 Likes

now I know we could write messages with blocks or whatever already but using a can of spray paint…just makes it more fun and brings out the Ch :slightly_smiling_face:pper in me just gotta find a big expanse of rock (or a wide tree :ok_hand:)

4 Likes

I know right… But meh, I think it’ll be an improvement to the game, farming blocks for the rare drops always seemed like a workaround the devs put in before they got around to implementing actual farming.

3 Likes

… unless you’re in the camp that all change is bad. Like some people in this thread.

2 Likes

Yup but I haven’t had the time to hook it all up yet.

7 Likes

3 Likes

Will it be possible to grow spicy/bitter beans at some point? Or maybe just grow trumpet roots and stardrop plants, and harvest those? For anyone who forges!! PASTE BASE!

If the numbers do not change on harvest returns you would be looking at a big increase in time to gather if those are added to farming.

Time doesn’t matter to me since I’m a casual. I can wait for things to grow.

But what you said about seeds worry me.
If farming is not sustainable and just a side gadget for gathering, like a new toy for the already broken-AF-economy. It’s not really farming.

1 Like

I agree, forward progress sometimes costs a bit :wink:

Before I set up a test farm, does anyone have any idea what “near” means. For clarification, some items will grow better/faster near water. How near does the water need to be? 1 block away 6 blocks away? I understand from other posts that the materials have to be on the horizontal plane to the spot where the seed is sown.

2 Likes

What if a machine could EXTRACT seeds from the produce?

2 yams = 1 seed, bulk 10 yams = 7 seeds, mass 50 yams = 40 seeds?
(or something like that)

I felt a bit pants harvesting my (meagre testing) crops of starberries and yams, only to realise I couldn’t even replant the fields.

I understand the need for economy, but it felt like something was missing. Mostly more seeds.

5 Likes