Testing 224: Farming!

Look here:

The water, sand, whatever, they can all be in any of that radius. (Use the final screenshot as reference)

1 Like

This is how stardew valley does it, and stardew valley does farming VERY well. This would let you create sustainable farm and grow your farm if you wanted.

3 Likes

I had no idea, I’ve not played SDV! :open_mouth:

Something to keep in mind is that the new fuels from combustion plants are amazing by comparison to what we have right now

I’m in favor of this too, but the more I think about it, the more I think they should also steal a page out of Story of Seasons and give seeds a ranking that can be increased very gradually through the generations, as I mentioned in another thread. That would give a real buff and incentive to do long-term farming - imagine a 30th generation 5-star seed giving potentially 5x yield and being able to be grown further from water, growing faster, and such. Dedicated farmers could make good money selling the seeds, and the grind would be gradually reduced for those willing to invest time - or simply willing to shell out coin to get them from other players.

5 Likes

I’m not sure if anyone has said this or not, but an idea may be to have separate tools that provide bonuses to crop yield or seeds depending on which one is used. That way it turns your farm into more of a seed management thing.

8 Likes

I was curious if your farming in a inside a building does it have too have Windows too grow things with water

Btw. It says gleam light… so lanterns are not valid for that? For sure i understand its not gleam but just giving a shot

1 Like

Nice touch on the Pigment Processor Power Coils… my first thought was they looked a little lackluster and bland…

… but I was way wrong!! :smiley:

10 Likes

Well your not standing around when you are currently farming, quite the opposite, you are constantly running around breaking blocks. And the majority of products gathered that way are resold in the market.

Besides that it is the key to the contract market for starter players. I personally get roughly 40 contracts a week done for exo yams, fragments and shimmering orbs. All these are done by newer or casual players that can’t afford or can’t make the forged tools, brews and pies. They all are overjoyed to be able to get half these drops. Now what, can they work on a farm? How quickly will those new players will put down the tillers and fertilizer due to boredom.

2 Likes

If anything this update will drive people further away from community and closer to solitude, but the community IS the game in boundless.

1 Like

Do not forget the mats for fert are only on exo’s so that will be out of new players reach.

3 Likes

Exactly. And has anyone tried forging the liquid gathering boon on a totem. I have, does not seem like a new player thing to do. So farming becomes another end game mechanic like forging apparently was.

3 Likes

I really really like that idea, because it’s an intersting choice to reduce your yield for seeds.
You can trade efficiency for sustainability so to say. It comes at a cost.
And it voids the problem that with a greater then 1:1 ratio seeds become abundant sooner or later.
I remember having a lava pit in minecraft just to burn excess seeds.

2 Likes

I have as well - I forged both the gathering and solidifier boon on x3 tools, all on the first try. all it took was placing 3 venerable gums at the start of the forge process. I agree though, it’s probably not something that will be easy for a low level player to achieve, as I did it on a fully coiled centraforge.

That said though, I feel there are enough basic-mid level forgers that can achieve it fairly easily. Could create a little bit of a market for them. Until then people will need to build near to water/lava, or actually buy water/lava blocks.

1 Like

To be accurate, this boon is for Hammers. The solidify boon is for Totems.

My thoughts are, the pigment and fuel farming are useful. But as for yam and berry farming, it should be something you can establish on the side, but not a pure replacement of the regular block harvesting. There are those that enjoy the repetitive block breaking and mining is not always as rewarding as the yams/berries. There should be an ability to do either one.
The block break farming could cost more and be the active option and the farming could be low cost and more passive option.

1 Like

Hammers/shovels/axes , yeah my bad. I got it confused with the solidify one

1 Like

It is not just yam and berries it is also all forms of grain for flour, rice and oats. All the farmable organics and to a lesser extent the inorganics suffer from the same issues. Remember the inorganics can only be found on exo planets so that puts them out of reach of many players.

1 Like

I also asked @dave if we could have multi-coloured cubes on the top of the coils when the machine was on and grey when off. You can probably imagine his response…

18 Likes