Testing 228: Window Panes and Lattice Frames!

The storage blocks are driving me nuts. And others too. I need to hear this as several update cycles roll by with no change or input.

If they had a little bit of emissive light in the cubbies perhaps it would help as I don’t so much mind the artifacts or drastic color change on the box as much as not being able to see what’s in it.

Lighted cabinets are a real thing and especially in cases where the cabinets are helpful for sorting the output of a bunch or stacks actually being to see the proper type and color of the stacks again would be WONDERFUL while still allowing the local light, whether gleam or lanterns or sunlight whatever, to affect the overall tone of the build as you like.

I have a spot where it seems like the color from some bright gleam at a distance is washing out the color of a closer, darker gleam on my cabinets and much like the sunlight, resulting in a net effect of decreased visibility for the cabinet contents.

My hardware for this is pretty low end, so I appreciate the performance considerations. This is a huge hit to usability though and since it came with some heavy performance hits (same update even if not the same effects) it seems like a big double whammy.

3 Likes

Dang, that some inception level chiseling.

Hmm, perhaps a new craftable storage block with some gleam!

1 Like

No pls. Fix the hundreds/thousands of cabinets I have now first.

2 Likes

Nah - it only requires:

1. A few taps with the Lattice Chisel to select the size.
  2. 4 taps with a Bevel Chisel to switch to the octagon shape and remove the “arms”.

There is no requirement to use a square chisel.

9 Likes

No demand for high-level tools or forge crafting;
I used 3 stone lattice chisels to create this build on Testing Dand :grinning:
And a lot of :boundless: build-time of course :+1:

6 Likes

The video I posted happens in a 2-block thick enclosed space too, so is that something else than the light sampling resolution?

I don’t understand what the video is presenting.

How blocks in storage appear so dark. White blocks in storage appear dark grey even with a white gleam block right next to the storage block.

the mesh-lighting, apart from being 2x2x2 also works in an entirely different way (via approximated spherical harmonics generated from the per-block lighting data) and there are various hueristics involved that try to match them well, this was adjusted after the lighting changes, and in my test cases at least was working well enough, but clearly not good enough here and is coming out darker.

Alright :thinking: The storage block mesh itself should imo appear more white too with a light source so close.

Also, if the current mesh lighting resolution is to stay I’d love to get a setting to enable 1x1x1 in the client. But that might introduce a huge visual difference between graphics settings :confused:

Almost sounds like there’s more issues with this light than there was with the old way :joy:

2 Likes

Is there a planned Release for this Update for everyone?

Updated OP with @Jiivita’s Overview Video.

(Off to fix the issues he raised!)

15 Likes

Does that mean the window panes will block weather like rain? Or will it need to be done after the update’s release as a fix?

If it’s the former, I hope it will include the same fix for the signs and trap-doors. ^^

they “do” block the rain, its just that transparent ordering fails here, and the weather is rendered after the glass and so kind of looks like its passing through, but actually isnt if you pay attention…

1 Like

Ah? I’m unable to check on testing right now for the window panes, but on live, the signs don’t block rain and I have rain falling through 2 layers of signs. So if window panes on testing work the same way, there’s a problem.

I believe flat signs blocking weather was part of the last live release… maybe its only in testing.

Ok, thanks for the info. I’ll go check that later today. :slight_smile:

glass panes doesn’t have the same transparency when placed against water as suppose to normal glass.
is it intentional?

3 Likes