Testing 230: World Shop Scanners!

This update is accessible via the “Testing” release of Boundless on Steam.

Please restart Steam to make sure you get the latest version of Boundless. If the update happens whilst Steam is open it’s unlikely you’ll get the latest version.

Please report all issues discovered to new posts in the #support category.

The following release notes are not final and should not be considered complete or exhaustive.

Overview:

• Extended Knowledge and Plinths to present live item pricing and stock for the current world.

Video Overview:

Testing 230:

• Added World Shop Listing:
    • In the Knowledge screen, any Item that can be Bought or Sold, will display additional Tabs listing the best-value 16 shops selling or buying that Item on the current World.
    • The listings will show the Beacon name, the Quantity being sold or bought, the Price, the Distance to the shop, and the number of Patrons.
      • Where the Patrons is number of daily-unique customers who’ve bought or sold something from the Beacon in the last Week.
      • The Patrons aims to present how active the shop is based on successful transaction.
    • Clicking on any listing will add the exact location of the Shopping Plinth to your compass as a destination to find the Plinth.
    • Buying and Selling Plinths will also display the same relevant table when setting the Price of an Item to buy or sell so you can compare against other Plinths in the same World. These now opening a drop-down details section to display the Table and a button to set the price. Clicking on a listing in the table here will open the set-price dialog with the price of the listing clicked already filled in.
    • Buying and Selling Plinths now display the profit interface and budget interface in the same tab as the item prices, with these tabs renamed as “Coin”.
    • The Beacon Control has a new option to define default Advertising rules of Plinths in the beacon, so you can choose to hide all plinths from being listed in the shopping data. You may want to do this if the shops are only for your guild members or you’re currently renovating the shop.
    • Buying and Selling Plinths have a new tab “Options” for defining Advertising rules of the individual Plinth to override the Beacon-wide option to allow a Plinth to be advertised even if the beacon option disables advertisement, or for the Plinth to be hidden even if the beacon option enabled advertisement.
  • When something (location/beacon/player/shopping plinth) is being tracked on the compass as a destination, the location title above the compass will change to show the distance and name of the item being tracked until you reach the destination, or stop tracking.

GUI + HUD:

• Builder Mode is now a tri-state, so when turned on it will show as currently with the beacon map included, pressing the button again will turn off just the beacon map, then pressing again will turn off the builder mode entirely.
  • Added a filter to the Knowledge to show all items before they have been discovered.

Bug fixes:

• Fix current destination always showing as being on the current world when viewed through the Places>Locations menu, and show the distance as “Off World” when appropriate including in the HUD display above compass.
  • Fix a recently introduced issue with Buying Plinths where the durability requirements were inverted so that the default of only allowing 100% actually let anything be sold, and the option of at least 75% actually allowed anything with at least 25% durability instead.
  • Fix crop hitboxes on sloped geometry broken by changes made for the new lattice block shapes.
  • Fix an edge case where the animation of the item being crafted moving across the GUI could remain stuck until the client is restarted if a lag spike occurs just after pressing the craft button.
  • Fix an edge case where closing the machine screen just as you press the craft button would cause it to auto-queue the crafting recipe with the same index again and again when you reopen the machine screen even on a different machine entirely until clicking elsewhere in the machine screen GUI.
66 Likes

If I could :heart: this multiple times I would! At last shopping won’t be such a chore, being planet wide is a nice compromise too.

10 Likes

Rip hand trading.

Hand trading hasn’t changed.

8 Likes

Ditto… will be especially great for the new players I think, give them an idea of what good prices are in the market at the moment and get them to what they need. Mentioned in the other thread, but this changes my plans for my own shop keeping, knowing this is coming, I may actually expand my newcomer-aimed stuff on Alder, perhaps even start developing on other T1s knowing the newbies can now find my stuff more easily.

4 Likes

All this seems VERY interesting, and so fast after the previous update. Nice work, guys. :wink:

4 Likes

@earlybird4 yesh, soon back to building as usuals \ ^ _ ^ /

3 Likes

Do you have any suggestions on how to set up a guild shop other than “Hope nobody else finds it” or “Try your hardest to keep people out”?

I feel like the advanced lock isn’t functioning as intended, and it locks everyone out of the stand entirely, unless someone has the worker guild permission, in which case they get full access (to take items for free). There’s no in between option to actually control who can or cannot buy from a stand.

We have come up with 2 options to keep people out, both of which are very secure, but severely limited in looks.

2 Likes

If you lock the doors with guild locks and set the beacon to no teleporting you should be good.

1 Like

Thanks. I wasn’t sure that worked, due to the previous conversations regarding guild shop security, and thefts during the semi-recent lottery events.

But then what is the point of an advanced lock on a shop stand?
Does it not seem broken when it entirely stops the stand from being able to be used as a shop?

1 Like

You make changes that makes easier people to buy stuff from stands. Ofc its going to affect hand trading

People hand trade for the tax evasion. So it shouldnt be affected at all. There was already a website before to do this and hand trading wasnt affected by that so why would it be now.

9 Likes

I’ve never tried using the lock on a shop stand so no clue if there’s a certain way to use it or not. But it could be broken.

This will also eliminate part of exploring and seeing builds… not even gonna start talking about giving footfall cause economy is alrdy busted

1 Like

Plenty of people already didn’t explore. In fact if I was still playing this would probably get me to see more places. When I was playing I only shopped at the same handful of places because I dislike exploring.

9 Likes

Somewhat agree, but it also has the potential of leading you to shops you would never have stumbled across before. Less builtup areas etc.

My worry is that my shop is an enclosed dome. The only way in is via various portals. So someone could be lead to my store only to find there is no way in.
An easy fix for my dome on the lake, put in a door. But my forge shop is deep underground in my base, even i cant access it without the portal (except by smashing my way through another rooms wall) so this would be rather frustrating for someone trying to locate.

I still think this is an amazing addition though!
It will be less important where your shop is located and more about pricing. Great news for recluses such as myself :laughing:

4 Likes

Yep, and as much as I love exploring, exploring for shops is very different than exploring to just take stuff in or to discover resources. At least it was with me, as a disclaimer. I remember as a newcomer and my earlier days, when I was trying to find what I needed to buy or sell I was moving very quickly, like darting in and out of portals and it led to a little frustration at times, like when remembering where something was but then finding it empty or almost empty of goods or coin.

6 Likes

I can say the same thing like “plenty of people do explore” but the fact that we do not know it for sure. Dont you go that route where you state things that are not facts

Not true bud. Hand trading will always be the go to for people that want to cut out the taxes.

3 Likes