Testing 232: Closed Storage and Decorative Blocks!

Even plain chest has 16 slots currently… thats 4x more than atm we have (if you do not count shop stands etc.)

That is pretty big.

I would be damn ok with only the plain ones haha. Just getting 16slots in all… plain stylish ornate… people could choose to make fancy boxes if they so choose

3 Likes

Hmm really supposed to be? seem to indicate that this game is not. To me this game is a multiplayer online building game with a plot claiming system. Point of progression, is to level up be able to craft more things. Build with other players. Build cities with others. create portal networks, make shops. A sand box style game. Exploring is a big part of this game for theme wise. I see the direction of this game currently been going is opening more exploring aka exos. while new block types offer new things to do with building. Some changes in games current functioning like oort now minable, is likely to make way for new up coming game features that the change is accommodating for.

5 Likes

Yeah, seems like they are going more minecraft community building, but just wanted clarification from the dev team, so I can align my expectations.

No rant or complaints here. Just want to know what to expect with this game going forward. No argument made on my side, just curious.

Edit: I’m not sure how the game will feel alive without progression, supply demand, and roles. But if it’s supposed to be minecraft esque, that’s fine. I just want to know. Because I’m trying to play like a mmorpg. At this point i dont care. I just want everyone to stop fighting.

1 Like

No, I would not. I did read what you said earlier where you suggested people would build whatever was cheapest, but I would ask a counter question:

Given that doors all serve a singular purpose and that no door is functionally better than the other, do people only build the cheapest door?

If all storage chests had the same volume, that seems to be the closest analogy with what’s currently in game. It gives people the opportunity to have (and possibly work for) the look they want, without sacrificing function. That is the kind of progression I can get behind for a Sandbox-RPG cross.

I don’t think of it as a sandbox builder either. I mean, it’s clearly not, and it’s not advertised as such. I’m fine, happy even, with progression that works for both of the very opposing angles that need to be considered. It’s just difficult to find that spot.

5 Likes

I’d perhaps drop a point here that yes there are similarities in that theory, however, doors don’t have storage slots, and atm storage is a bigger issue than how things look at an entrance.

People (including myself) are hoarders :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

3 Likes

Building with the new blocks on Testing- Dand successful completed.
Made a row of the Oortian (Amsterdam-) Canal Houses.
If we only had a creative building mode in the Live Universe …
What would we then able to build over there :thinking:

14 Likes

chiseled deco gleam

chiseled deco ice , snowflake only shows on the bottem when chiseled
The barrels make nice vaces as well :wink:

15 Likes

So pretty, thanks for posting that! :heart_eyes: The deco gleam is really gorgeous. :+1:

@Odeon - Really love those, awesome work there! New mats all look great!

1 Like

Looks great! I was actually wanting to make some like that in near future, already have a nice canal near my little beach in Nova Golda (Gouda has them too anyway, hehe)…

I really like the new mosaic as a brick replacement tho! Nice find! And that border marble I think it is works well there too and those trelises (?) at the left one! Nice! Very nice work!!!

3 Likes

Yaaaas! I think a lot of people are going to alter their builds after we get these awesome blocks. They will be perfect for a place I’m working on :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

If you can place it in the atlas, surely it’d be possible to see if there is even a single block somewhere?

Oh yeah, so much this! :slight_smile: Definitely a few of my trellises for sure will get some makeover work ASAP. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

It will be a very long-term project to mess with but started talking with someone on the Boundless Facebook’s comments about maybe starting on a Fallout vault - some of these blocks I think will do real well with that. :+1:

2 Likes

I would personally second this. I am sure that they can look it up too. See what people use.

I would build what looks good for my base. If Wood and Gleam were the same, I would build the wooden ones for some areas and Gleam ones for other areas.

On the other hand…I also don’t care if my ‘option’ is the best.

If I want to build a storage area with wooden chests because it looks good, I don’t care if it has 1/2 the best storage options…because I WANT wooden chests because they look good.

I mean…we all build storage areas and were happy with shelves…and now we are getting something much better.

4 Likes

Hihihi… This is not a birthday cake. That’s a grappling hook. :slight_smile:

Absolutely, however it’d also be listed in the resources tab if it were on that world. Like the one that was supposed to be on Cardass(i think it was). Which of the four worlds I visited on testing it was not.

2 Likes

@james As an addendum to what I said about the trelling blocks, I’d also add that the Plain Concrete block could use some more details.

Like, if you look at stone containers made in Luminous Red :

You can clearly see that there’s some orange shades that go with that color, which is awesome.

But then, look at a surface of Plain Concrete in Luminous Red :

There are some very fine details, but they’re almost unnoticeable. Unless you go with a dark color, it could as well be a monochrome block at this point.
Maybe the details could be painted with the alternate shade, like the inside of the stone containers?

My third problem is that the new chests don’t have a ‘blocky’ shape like the stone containers, so if I start using them, you’ll be able to see what’s behind them.
I’d like to be able to replace all my stone containers with these new models, but if none of them is big enough to block the view of what’s behind them… I dunno, I think I’ll keep the stone containers as back-up.

What I’m saying is that these chests are wonderful, but I don’t think I’ll suddenly replace all my old containers for design reasons. My build wasn’t made with these in mind. ^^

Please noooo. I’m so happy to be getting a smooth sandstone looking block without busy details. :open_mouth:

22 Likes

Dear PC overlords,

Please post a hundred more screen shots :pleading_face:

Regards
PS4 players

14 Likes

I wouldn’t go that far. It we were, we wouldn’t have people using shop stands for storage… and the Devs probably wouldn’t have been as concerned with trying to give us something better.

3 Likes

Same here! I’ve tried to use soils, sand and even marble in places where I’m now so going to use concrete!!!

8 Likes