Testing 232: Closed Storage and Decorative Blocks!

16 Likes

The point is, It’s bypassing the restriction put on roads by just making it wider, it’s still a road and as such should still be excluded from the settlement status and the buffer zone.

@lucadeltodecso
The problem with the current road detection system (I believe it’s a certain number of adjacent plots) only works on one level of magnification, if it get’s macroscopic, with big cities and big roads it fails to detect these bigger roads.
But they are still roads by intent and definition.

Edit:
For example the left one is a road, the right one is not:

But they are both long thin plot noodles build to connect stuff, why is one ok an the other isn’t?

2 Likes

So, so beautiful!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::heart_eyes: Thank you all so much devs, this is INCREDIBLE, will be doing tons and tons with them for sure, can’t wait!

Keep the pics coming testers, living vicariously through you all for now! :smiley:

5 Likes

There was some older discussion on this when the settlement viewer was introduced.

While poorly named, it doesn’t have anything to do with the plots actually being “roads” or traveling paths. It’s a designation for areas that are not densely plotted enough to maintain settlement status.

2 Likes

This is AWESOME! Can anyone on test share whether these metal modify currently made machined metal or are an entirely different process? I guess same for marble, mosaic, etc. Meaning, can I change the ones I already have or would I be replacing?

1 Like

4 Likes

Decorative Ice on the left.
Top row - Decorative Marble Friezes - Miner, Welcomer, Explorer, Grappler
Bottom row - Decorative Marble Border

22 Likes

blue deco ice is gorgeous :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Devil’s advocate for a second, here. Difference is it takes 3x the plots to do. At what point does it become the right ratio? 5? 10? How far in one direction does it stop being a settlement and start being a road? If I want my settlement to be shaped like a plus + sign where each of the arms are 3 x 10 plots why shouldn’t they qualify?

3 Likes

I am absolutely speechless, excellent work devs, cannot wait for this to go live, does anyone know recipes ingredients. I want to start hoarding stuff to make these precious blocks. My precious…

2 Likes

These are some nice blocks. Obviously I’ve picked rather random colours though, so please bear that in mind if you don’t like a block.

2 Likes

I assume you’re talking about the recipes to make them, and in that case all recipes on testing are WIP, but use refined metals and not machined

Edit: Grammar is hard some days

1 Like

Thanks for posting that!! :slight_smile: Appreciate it! I love them all so much, but I’ll admit a particular fondness for the ice - that grabbed me on @lucadeltodecso spoiler pic. I just have a thing for snowflake designs, have jewelry and such with them.

2 Likes
9 Likes

This is raises an issue I’d be interested to get comments on.

At the moment the recipes are setup to craft from scratch. So they can all be made with similar base materials. But I did consider making them more of a progression, for example you need to make a Marble block before you can make a Decorative Marble block.

I concluded that players would rather have a 1 step process direct to the end result, rather than a multiple step process which would take more crafting interaction.

Likewise, I also considered adding recipes to convert Shopstands (and other alt-storage items) into the new Closed Storage types - to give players a way to transition from the shopstand alternative storage.

But here I concluded that adding more recipes just made the crafting tree more complicated with little benefit to the majority of players.

Do we prefer an material upgrading crafting pattern: Rock → Refined → Marble → Decorative Marble. Or do we prefer a direct approach.

14 Likes

Excellent, very much appreciated!! :slight_smile: Thanks so much for this Vex!

1 Like

I think most players will be happier with a direct approach to the new blocks instead of crafting progression. Leave it like the doors, poles, and beams.

6 Likes

So many amazing blocks i feel like tearing down my house and rebuilding it xD.

Edit: Those dancing Oortians are amazing.

Edit 2:
32/24/16 storage space respectively.

Edit 3:
This is spectacular. My palace will be complete now!

22 Likes

I think 1 step with more materials input is better for newer players. We already have pies and brews for those into complex pathways

1 Like

Y . M . C . A .

Errr, or whatever it is… stupid Oortians.

16 Likes