Testing 234: Chiselable Glass!

Lots of engine changes. I would be (happily) surprised if it released this week.

As much as I would like to see it happen, I don’t really think it will.

Most testing has been around 2 weeks before going live, even when it seemed like it was OK.

There has been some exceptions where it’s been a little quicker, but not so much recently, and there’s been a few where it’s taken a bit longer!

They don’t tend to go live on a Friday either, so I’d guess 2 weeks today, if I put my cold logic hat on.

1 Like

And not all recipes are on Testing yet, also I don’t think glass panes are already non-meshes on Testing, or did I read that wrong?

Am not expecting it until next Tuesday/Wednesday at the earliest, probably a week later even if some issues are being found…

Updated OP with details of Testing 234.1. Main changes are:

• switching panes into the voxel world
  • adding stylish + ornate glass
  • added smart texturing for the ornate glass.
14 Likes

* MEANWHILE AT WONDERSTRUCK STUDIO *

Could there be a Smart texture system added to other blocks?
Like the refined stones and metal blocks?
Maybe a forge trait could have the ability to add or remove the smart texture effect of these blocks?

< screams of anguish resonnate from Wonderstruck studio >

8 Likes

Actually - I was already thinking about other materials that could take advantage of this system. For example, a “patterned carpet”, conveyor belt system, networks of pipes, networks of wires.

I think anything that is decorated or laid-out or sculpted makes sense.

What ideas do we have?

Does that make me the idiot?

38 Likes

I don’t know if this falls under the same type of feature, but when you chisel, for example, compact iron, it cuts the texture in half. Would it be possible to ‘pull’ the texture from the outside inwards so we get the full rim around the chiseled block?

Lemme know if i need to explain that better lol

Automation confirmed for super sure !!!
Thank you James :):grin:

7 Likes

Ooohhhh yes!! :smiley: The filigree looks like a nice carpet, but some flooring options would be wonderful, would love to have some carpets, different patterns and being able to use all the colors! Could be used as wallpaper too of course, something like this could make homes a little more homey. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Gimme! My factory is ready for it.

7 Likes

I have one for the Bug-(data-)base
On Testing the inventory icons for glass panes are offset at the moment … :beetle:

Everything you just said sounds awesome.

But I’d be really WAAAAAAAY more interested if the older blocks which have textures that make them look like they’re individual blocks could be alternate versions with the smart texture feature.
Gonna be honest, I barely ever use refined stones because of that.

You said it, not me. :rofl:

@kimclausen Don’t get your hopes up too much, though. James was clearly talking about a texture for voxel blocks, which wouldn’t have interactive features like what you’re expecting. Like, he mentioned pipes, but that would likely be a block with a texture looking like that :

Liquid wouldn’t flow down those.
Same goes with the conveyor thing. He likely meant a block with a texture like that :

2 Likes

Automation confirmed!!!

5 Likes

from what I saw when I was using a bunch of different custom texture packs in Minecraft, the smart textures were mostly used for the most common materials, like tree trunks, planks and cobblestone
-see the details on cobblestone on the corners and around windows, same with planks, deco wood connecting to vertical neighbours.
it made a big difference.

8 Likes

LOL, I should have read further before replying!

Ah well, great minds and all that! :smiley:

1 Like

@james When you look at them, they look a bit off.

Mainly because I guess there’s no Alpha mask?
So the black lines which are ‘supposed’ to be joints between the smaller glass pieces appear transparent as well, so you can see the black lines from the backside through them. :s
Might be mind-fudge inducing.

Could it be done to not render the faces that are directly against another block?

Wait, isn’t that what the octigrid block does on Live?
I’m 95% sure they don’t do that on Live.

Yup, on Live, that’s how it’d look :

Ooooooh that’s gonna be a problem. :confused:

3 Likes

So the colored ones are transparent glass with colored gleam behind it or is it just chiseled plain glass blocks ?

Smart texture is what you also have on Portal Knights.
You can clearly see it on these screenshots I just took, and it makes everything look so much better :

6 Likes

Plain Glass on Multi colored Ornate Glass blocks - both chiseled

Weary Teal Colored Glass on Pale Sepia Ornate Glass blocks - both chiseled

Just Multi colored Ornate Glass blocks - chiseled

Update for the stained glass windows I made on Testing yesterday.
I changed the refined gleam blocks for the new Ornate Glass blocks.
The colors look great even beautiful. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

But the rendering is a bit off at the moment. (@james see the last screenshot)
Especially with the changing of light and when you take little more distance from the Object.
Some adjustments have to be made here …
Fine-tuning i suppose :+1::+1:

6 Likes

I just placed an update for the stained glass windows
Take a look at it, then it becomes clear :+1:

[Edit] I have just placed a short description under the screenshots

1 Like