Testing 234: Chiselable Glass!

Still looking for the reasoning behind the original decision for colored glass REQUIRING refined gleam in the recipe to begin with. I want a SPECIFIC color for my build, but cannot get my specific color since that color DOES NOT EXIST on the current worlds. I do NOT want to and/or be forced to wait for a time-limited-availability for said specific color to appear on an Exo world, where I could get some, but then end up POSSIBLY RUNNING OUT should I do get it from an Exo. …

I want black glass. I don’t want ANY other color. I don’t want any colored tint, other than BLACK. Therefore, I don’t understand the reasoning why COLORED GLASS requires GLEAM instead of SAND, since GLASS itself is essentially formed from MOLTEN SAND.

I will ask again, @james … Why is it that I cannot either

1. SPRAY glass blocks with the tinting spray
  2. SPRAY gleam blocks with tinting spray
  3. SPRAY refined gleam blocks with tinting spray

I would have no problem having to work my way to color-changing sprays just so my creativity isn’t LIMITED.

Left window is BLACK glass, Right window is dark orange (Which is one of the -very few- dark colors available btw) … Screenshot taken from Testing. … I want to use the LEFT side for my build, NOT have to resort to the uglier right side for said build. (Was also testing block vs. pane)

So, why is our color creativity so limited because certain colors just DO not exist? Why does the color spray feature NOT work on “tintable blocks” like Gleam and Glass? What is the REASONING behind the original colored glass recipe REQUIRING refined gleam versus sand? Please, respond to these questions. Thank you.

Gleam is not a tintable block. Never will be either. Gleam is supposed to be one of the rarer/special things in the game. I believe there’s more people in the community supporting that side than opposed it as well. And the glass pane is only tintable by gleam so it’s not a tintable block in the sense that you’re thinking/wanting. Also I believe one of the things said(pretty sure was a community member) the last time people talked about it was you would spray paint glass irl. And if you did you would loose most of the opacity.

Maybe gleam is required because there’s not a lot involving gleam? Also maybe it was done that way because it was a mesh? So maybe it’ll change. But last time a recipe changed a good majority of the player base was mad about it. So unlikely it’ll change. But who knows.

I’d also like to use black glass in my builds but not having it doesn’t ruin anything for me. And I won’t demand to have it changed. I’ll just continue to use normal glass blocks till black gleam shows up in a good quantity.

1 Like

I want to use Black Panes in my build. I’ve tried other colors, and the darkest I could find on the existing planets, but it wasnt the right shade, and it was too bright than the glass I seen in the test worlds.

I dont like Gleam as the ingredient to decide colors, I dont understand the logic in why this was the choice ingredient for the color, when there are so few colors in the set of available gleam. Sand would make more sense.

How can I get Black as a color for Glass Panes and future colored glass?
I know it doesnt exist now. I want it to exist as a persistent accessible color for glass, or perhaps change the recipe before it is added to the live game (if it is changed before the live game, then players wont be angry at the change like the thing the other guy had pointed out). Make sand as the color deciding, or gravel, or allow the glass to be dyed, please give me something to work with in the design I want, nothing else comes close.

It is beyond discouraging to not be able to have this color in a game that pleases my building and creativity interests. I want the color I want, and it is in the game’s codes, but not currently obtainable for reasons Sephiroth pointed out.

I dont know why the ingredients have Gleam, it makes no sense.

I want black tinted glass please (not Dark Glass, I cant see through that stuff) … or at least be given an explanation as to why gleam was the choice (like Sephiroth had asked) so I could get some sense to this decision that doesn’t make sense to me.

Cant people get black gleam by using farming?

@james
i have an idea, to separate glass made from sand/soil (old glass) and glass/glass panes made from gleam i propose to change gleam glass name to "gleam panes / gleam tiles to make sure from what they are made and to stop everyones to ask about alow them to be tinted, they are made of gleam - rare material and let them be that way

1 Like

Not gonna lie, I’m with these guys regarding the whole color thing.
I don’t think Gleam should be spray-paintable, BUT having to wait on exo-worlds to get Gleam colors is a bad design, plain and simple. And if you’re not available when exo-world #2674 was there, as it’s up to the players to communicate which exo is there, which colors it has. So then, you gotta spent A BUTTLOAD of coins to get something unique from them. Like, 300c for 1 block of gleam?

It’s like, Boundless doesn’t have actual biomes (unlike Minecraft, CV, and many other games like that), so color tints are THE THING that makes up for that lack of variety.

FIRST and foremost, ALL WORLDS should have gleam.
I don’t get WHY some don’t, it kinda makes us feel like “eh, our world is just not as cool as the other worlds”.

STEP 1 :

The devs should make EVERY T1 and T2 world have a unique gleam color. Throw the black gleam in there, why not.

STEP 2 :

THEN, add 1 Prismatic World per server-region, and make these like T8 or something, as long as they exist! Basically, worlds which have like 3 or more color-palettes instead of the usual one.

Boundless does have biomes. There are 200+ biomes.

9 Likes

Sure, if you think color variations are enough, Boundless does have infinite biomes.
But that is very subjective, IMHO. :neutral_face:

Doesn’t counter the points I made about the need for Gleam on T1/2 and the Prismatic worlds, though. :wink:

Incorrect.

Colours vary per world. Colours have nothing to do with biomes.

Each world is created by selecting ~20 biomes from a list of hundreds.

You think MC and CV have biomes because they have so few and the borders are absolute.

Whereas with Boundless the biomes transition by blends to create a more natural transition.

20 Likes

Sorry for contradicting you, James, but nope : I think MC and CV have biomes because each one differentiates itself from the others with unique block textures, unique creatures, unique objects, unique loots.
The way I see it, on their own, unique prefabs or block tints aren’t enough to make biomes.
I’ve been vocal since Day-One on the forum that Boundless has a lack of block variety (which is being adressed, granted, BUT only for the crafted blocks). There’s still only 3 types of natural rocks, grass, tree trunks, leaves, dirt.

Like, I just checked, not counting recolors, CV has 8 unique types of leaves, 10 unique types of tree trunks, about a dozen rocks…
And look at concepts from Hytale :

That’s just a concept-art, but dayum! Not gonna post a dozen screenshots here, but there’s lot of finished stuff to see on their website, and these guys know how to make biomes!

Boundless, after a while, you should feel like “I’ve seen this world, I’ve seen them all”.
So you may pretend that Boundless has 200+ biomes, but I kinda wanna call BS on that.

1 Like

MC is the same after a couple of days you have seen it all.
Also there is jungles I’ve never seen a freakin jungle ever again since they needed that biome.

Boundless has a lot of different biomes which don’t have to do anything with having a rainbow of colors.

Just hunting or exploring exos will show you the tons of different areas that can be generated.

6 Likes

I agree with this, except the black gleam unless it’s on small quantities, if we get tons of it it won’t be seen as an amazing resource anymore.

Don’t know much about MC, but CV’s devs aren’t pretending to have 200+ biomes just because they shuffle their blocks around randomly with a generator…

They have a green forest biome, a taiga forest biome with pine trees and grass matted with pine needles, autumn forest biome with dead leaves on the ground, cold biome where the grass is dead and the dirt almost bare, snowy mountains biomes, deserts with cacti, savannah biome with bushes and palm-trees, swamp biome with a muddy water covered with lily pads and willow trees, jungle with trees that have glowing flowers and vines. Then you dig down and get to the fossil layer where you’ll find mossy rocks, stalactite and such, then the lava layer with its magma, and finally the corruption layer, all dark and creepy alien-looking.
Some of their blocks are just recolored, sure, but their biomes are mostly coveyed through unique textures and items, not just prefabs and tints.

Now you may say that CV biomes aren’t awesome looking compared to Boundless’ cool-looking game-engine, and that’s fine, I agree with that. But still.
My point is that Boundless should at one point introduce double the natural stone/wood/leaves/grass/dirt blocks and include them in the world-regen of some new T8 worlds AT THE VERY LEAST.

They’re right here:

14 Likes

Yep, my two big addictions before Boundless were Minecraft and No Man’s Sky. IMO, Boundless, far outdoes both in the exploration aspect - in MC and NMS, much as I enjoy them, they do feel repetitive. I really don’t feel that way at all with Boundless, I’m constantly seeing things that feel new, and more, that are very interesting and really beckon me to explore them. Especially on the exos, some of them feel completely unique in terms of the landscape. There is something intangible here, partly the atmosphere/feeling I get from Boundless worlds, and this is just my own opinion of course, but as a heavy “explorer” type in games, I feel that Boundless truly shines. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I wish wish wish that we had “mix and match” randomized creatures like in NMS. Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease james!

3 Likes

I’m just imagining a massive spitter flying around on tiny little butterfly wings here… :rofl:

4 Likes

I miss “cupid-hippos” (that’s what I used to think of those guys as) hehe

1 Like

Worlds with snow lava sand mountains and forests would really go far in terms of exploring. I think what really holds Boundless back is how few biomes are allowed on each planet and how they are restricted to metal coal and lush restraints.

Each world does have those biomes. Well maybe not t1. Can’t remember if they have the ice biomes. But they all have things like plains, mountains, forests, swamps, etc. Also like how some areas rain more than others. That’s based on the biome you’re in.

The only issue with the biomes goin off how @Goblinounours is talking. Is that the same blocks are in each biome. Minus ice/glacier as that’s really only in the ice/snow biome