Testing 234: Chiselable Glass!

Yes it’s let me grind for the colors i want instead of waiting months/years for a particular color to spawn.

2 Likes

Can testing folks show some domes? Please and thanks : )

They might seem like guesses to you and Seph but they very well can be well informed guesses, can they not?

Some have given an explanation that is based on how the devs handled other recipes where they actually did tell us the reasoning even tho it seemingly did not make sense at first. To simply dismiss those replies with “not a dev, not good enough” is not very kind. Also Seph’s tone reads like he’s very peed off.

You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar comes to mind.

Anyway, in my experience when someone makes a wild guess or tries to explain something that is completely wrong then James or another dev most certainly will reply, the fact that they didn’t should then tell you something.

Then there’s this little other thing, it’s impossible for the devs to reply to every single post. Not even all things you write in PM’s will be answered, some will, some won’t (sadly, grmpf! haha), they get tons of PM’s and we do tend to post quite a lot here on the forums too. It would be a day job alone to actually reply to everything. Besides, it’s also the weekend, plus they are working really hard to get the new release out before Thursday!

I’m also wondering what you are even trying to achieve. Why do you and Seph want to know so badly? No matter what the answer will be the chances of it being changed because we don’t like their reasoning is rather non-existent.

What if it is one of the explanations the community already has given, what if it’s “because we felt like it”, etc. then what? You suddenly go “oh, ok, I get it” or would you still be upset it’s not how you wanted it to be because something tells me it’s the latter which is yet another reason to just not give an answer, no matter what they say I highly doubt you will find it satisfactory and it will get a reply from you saying that and will start a back and forth which basically is like asking them to change it and if they don’t want to (which James already said he does not want to) then you would have accomplished nothing at all except wasting everyone’s time and losing your cool over nothing…

So yeah, I am not really surprised they haven’t replied yet…

6 Likes

First ep of Supergirl I thought…

Yep:

People do realize that black gleam will not give you “black tinted” glass right? The few pictures I have seen show it as very clear.

3 Likes

You all might want to look at this if you are worried about scarcity. Apparently information on private worlds might be coming after this release and it seems many have missed it. Our current problems obtaining certain colors might not be a problem shortly. Feel free to hop over to that section with your hype and/or pitchforks :smiley:

2 Likes

I saw that too but didn’t want to jump to any conclusions lol

1 Like

Search%20your%20feelings

1 Like

Indeed, I saw that message and got excited, shared the info with friends who are waiting for rental worlds.
That might be the solution to our problems, but we (or rather I) know pretty much nothing about the logistics of rental worlds, so it’s hard for me to be SUPER excited about it.

Could I make my rental world public, virtually like any other permanent world? I mean, could people open warps and portals to it as they want by pointing a warp totem at it in the sky?
I don’t think so, because unless I’m mistaken, if owning a rental world = additional monthly fee (cost to be determined), that means that any player who goes on such a world to build could lose access to his things if the owner of the world stops paying.

I’d guess by default, only friends could see the world in the sky, but building there would be at the players risk.

Unless having a rental world is a one-time-fee, which would be wonderful, but… I don’t know… Creativerse does hosts virtually an infinite number of servers, one per player, and it’s a F2P… so maybe Boundless could do that too… Could it?

The name I’ve always heard was “rental worlds”, and “rent” rhymes with monthly-fee, so… But what would even happen if you stop paying? Does the world vanishes immediately, systematically, like a beacon does when it goes wild?

Speaking of which, would you still have to plot and deal with beacon fuel? Would Gleam Club benefits be offered with that? Because I kinda feel like I’m already paying a monthly fee as it is to not have to deal with beacon fuel. ^^
And what about portal fuel?

Also, what would having a rental world entice to? Would you be able to generate the world freely, decide how it looks, what colors it has, what gleam you find there, what tier is it? Would there be some kind of world generator tool?

Would it allow us to simply copy-paste parts of existing worlds? Because even if rental worlds were the next update, unless there’s a way for me to copy-paste my Raxxian Sanctuary build, I am 500% sure I won’t simply re-start from scratch. I would wait for a blueprint system, or something similar.

One of the things that we need to consider is that
some people want rental worlds where they can rule every aspect of it. Like make it a creative world which is nice as long as that works remains disconnected from the main universe or if any of the resources from that world STAY on that world.

Same goes for those who want to keep the same rules from the main universe BUT they want to chose the resources they have in their planets, such as wanting a lucent world. If the resources are available for everyone I think that is ok, but if the owner of the planet can block the resources from everyone else then everything changes.

Anyway I’m excited about this, and I hope we get it right even if it takes more time.

2 Likes

If you view the forums on mobile we don’t have that. At least safari mobile doesn’t.

On the topic of glass panes, we didn’t have colored glass blocks before this coming update it would be kind of hard to make the panes take the color of sand as the panes are made with glass blocks. And those were only able to be colorless

2 Likes

Aaaah, I see what you mean! Took me a second though, I’m slow.

You mean it would be redundant if the colored glass blocks/panes were made with sand instead of gleam because these recipes already include colorless glass blocks as component, which itself uses sand as a component.

So for the colored plain glass pane/block, replacing gleam by sand would also logically require to remove the colorless glass block, and sand would be the only component, which does seem off…

Yes! Oh my goodness! I’d rather take a month grinding for 1k of a color I want, than participate in one-singe-gleambow thing.
Not kidding. Venom, you are my kind of player, you made other points I agree with thank you!

Like so.

And I also agree with Goblin in many ways (who made epic Industrial City I personally admired in cough place shall not be named cough).

I would rather grind for a month to get the colors I want, and I feel good with this sense of accomplishment. Creative modes dont give me that feeling.

Rabbits vs Tortoises. I am a tortoise. Both reach the finish line, but for me, the journey is half the fun, and I rather take my time with getting a thing, than doing something fast which would make my heart palpitate. I forbid myself from going to Exo worlds (some people call that boycotting, I think, maybe I dont understand the terms enough) because it is limited time, and I get 1-shot with full stealth (I hate that so much). I only use blocks that have an inexhaustible supply.

Slow and steady… I just wish it was possible for me to get Black Glass. I personally can go without it, but I would be much happier if such a desired color was possible in Black Glass. Why the glass cannot be spray-painted, will the devs consider allowing spray painting of glass?

Beyond my knowledge. I can only hope they at least consider it, which I also wont know.

P.S. I personally dont expect an answer. Growing up in the 80’s and I was not allowed to ask why questions, so I have been conditioned to be settled for not getting an answer from the descision makers “Because I said so” was the best they would give me. Frustrated they refused to explain the logic behind the task they wanted me to do, or a thing I wanted and they wouldnt let me have it, my autistic brain event explodes (not kidding) in rage and foul mouthed beyond my control, from overload of emotions and frustration, embarassing so very embarassing, and everyone else just thought I was having a temper tantrum, and proceeded to bark commands at me, only making the out of control episode even worse. The more people know about the varieties of other people, the less someone may take offense at a hostile sounding voice, the less someone might aggrivate an already aggrivated mind. Just saying this, as my brain events type words beyond my control, lots of foul words and capitols, stuff that I fear could (and have in many places) get me banned when it does that. I hate it so much, but I cant control it like an epileptic cant control a seizure. Part of each of our lives we may never know if anyone of us are having exactly that.

I been playing Boundless a long time, but I am new to these forums, and some of the expected etiquite could very well be outside of my awareness (my mind is very monotropic).

TL;DR:
I am aware that some people dont like long posts, I apologize for that irritation I indirectly caused. Editing would take me far too long, so most of the time I dont even bother to post.

2 Likes

The following answers are based on things that have been posted here in the forums and which I’ve heard from James in a PM (not really that much, I asked what it would cost when they happen)…

Yes you can. It will have to have the normal rules we do have now for every other planet.

If we can allow/disallow other people to build is an unknown, but I will not ever pay money for a rental world when you can not somehow whitelist/blacklist people from placing beacons.
So common sense tells me this will be possible.

There has been speculation about perhaps plots not being needed as the owner, blabla, but I think that would deviate from the normal planets way too much and I would not mind if we still need plots for it.

If it’s a public world they can open warps by pointing at it, if it’s public AND everyone can build there anyone can build a portal there too. If you disallow building you will have to provide the portal, or at least the end point so you don’t have to pay for the oort…

It is so, otherwise what would be the point of a rental world if no one else but you can get there?
Besides, one of the few things mentioned by the devs in an old post (pre-release) is that one would be able to choose either connected to the rest of the worlds like any other planet or change rules so much that it is not possible (or just choose not to connect without changing rules I suppose).

That’s the risk of building on someone else’s rental world, yes. Makes sense, therefor I would never build huge things on someone else’s world, perhaps an outpost, small house, etc.

It’s a monthly fee…

It might be put in limbo for a certain amount of time, not able to be visited but not lost right away either but of course if you never pay again it will go away and all stuff on it will be lost… (and not even lootable I am assuming!)

Gleam Club is Gleam Club, rental worlds are rental worlds, they could do a combined sub of course with a small discount but don’t expect one to pay for the other… (wouldn’t make sense financially)

Plots we don’t know, nothing has been mentioned anywhere about it but am assuming normal rules for that will apply, perhaps a discount or we get a plot percentage with it, who knows, plenty of other ways to solve this without it being totally different than on any other planet (and what I mean here is that coding wise finding other ways for players to get the plots cheaper makes more sense to me than to add all kinds of exceptions to the plotting code).

Why would that be free for the renter?

If it’s a world that people want to visit I am sure people will happily pay the oort for a portal TO you!

Nothing is known but common sense dictates we can’t generate a world full of resources with exact types of colours AND have it be publicly accessible.

Am sure we can decide on the tier and planet type (metal, coal, etc.)

We will have to wait and see how the rest will go. Sounds like in a few weeks we will at least get more specific info!

That would be nice yes, I hated moving from Gellis to Trung, just the moving of all the materials was not fun, but building something new took a lot of time and not sure I will want to do that again.

Honestly tho, I do want to redo my workshop so I will probably move that over time to my own rental world, but the rest of my town, the market, etc., etc. will stay where it is now. Am hoping I can at least make it close by enough so I can use a 1x2 portal :wink:

(thinking about that some more, perhaps we could get a discount on portals after all to make it easier for us to link to our old/sister place…)

Really tho, I can’t fricking wait for my own planet! Ahhhh, the space!

3 Likes

I’m still 500% sure neither me or my friend would want to manually move ourselves our ~3000 plots of build to another world.

BUT, the prospect of having a private world JUST for us and friends where we could get exactly the colors we like, that could be interesting. Our build does have a very specific list of colors which come from various places, some like Kol Huroo are T6, and if we could make it T1, that would help. Plus, if we could make the metamorphic rocks of the same color as the sedimentary, that would spare us the need to type-change blocks in mass.
Might wanna host a private rental world for harvesting, like a secret garden, and a public rental world for building.
It’s a thing to consider, indeed…

But on the other end, if you settle your build on a private world, you couldn’t have footfall through it. You couldn’t have people coming to buy you stuff, so you’d be forced to have a shop on a public world…
And coins would still be needed if you wanna buy stuff from others when you go shopping.
Shopping wouldn’t be required if there was a Creative Mode available to the owner (and his friends)…
That’s another thing to consider.

In any case, once we know more, my friend Malentir and I will have a serious discussion about what we will do. The possibility to have blueprints will still be the main factor.

Private worlds, ie. not linked to the rest of the universe are exactly that, not linked, so you can not move mats from there to a public world, rented or not…

3 Likes

Totally forgot to mention it, I used Gorillastomp’s excellent spreadsheet of exo planet colours and a mix of my own to check how many unique colours we have had with all the 97 exo planets!!! (well 98 including the one from this morning!).

Anyway, with all the planets together, exo + permanent we have had 76 unique gleam colours.

When counting rocks, gravel and sand we have had 150 unique ‘sand’ colours!

I really do wish I had paid more attention to sand and gravel with past exo’s, sigh…

1 Like

Awh, right, didn’t think of that…
Guess that would be too much of an advantage…
Dang it.

Well, in any case, if I can host a public server, decide which level it is, and which colors it has, which overall shape the terrain has… I think I’d be happy with that.

2 Likes

Me too, but it’s hard to pay attention to all blocks!

Who knows if in the future we will have to collect colored soils too or any other block that most of us usually don’t pay attention to.

2 Likes

I’m actually kinda afraid of that, lol

Also, I used to have one huge storage for sand, all sand colours mixed, I used them to make glass, any sand would do anyway.

Now I have had to split them into throw away sand (Dark Rose is a colour people keep selling to me, lol) and the rest is nicely sorted in a room near it!

1 Like