Testing 24 - Report issues here

Please report all issues discovered in the Testing 24 release in this thread.

So, if you get lost or transplanted to another world by a server crash you can get back by crafting warp conduits. However, this does not work if you don’t have stone in your inventory already. Since stone requires a crafting table to craft and you can’t place a crafting table without a beacon this can still lead to a “stuck” scenario where the player is unable to craft anything except wooden tools and a crafting table they cannot place.

The recipe will be changed to rocks tomorrow. :wink: Thanks

1 Like

Minor bug but when you’re crafting and view the context menu for an item you don’t have all the materials for, if the amount you have is 0 is flips the required value and current value around. (ex. 10/0 instead of 0/10

1 Like

The recipe of Warp Conduit has changed today. You now need rocks instead of stones.

2 Likes

Good find, thanks.

Not really a bug but I think the power core menu needs to be made more clear somehow. It’s not obvious the first time you put coal into the power core that it’s automatically burning the coal. This is especially true if you put Medium Coal in on your first time like I did. The longer burn time means you don’t get sparks immediately which makes you think that nothing is happening. Not sure if you have plans for this so I wanted to mention it.

1 Like

I know it’s not really a bug or an immediate problem but james said I should post about it if it’s an issue for me.
I still think the beacon system could be way better.
It’s so restricting to have fixed positions for the plots.
As an example, I tried to build a little treehouse. It would have fit into one or two beacon plots but I had to use 8 because it wasn’t alligned correctly. And I think that you should build around the environment and not around the beacon grid.

It doesn’t have to be a system where you can allocate every single block of your beacon space. (Which would make plots redundant.)
Having the option to adjust where your plots go by x-y-z coordinates would be great. Or at least being able to choose where your start plot exactly goes and the rest is alligned to that.

If a reason against it would be that the fixed plots are easier for new players to understand. Then you could just make it an opt out. Meaning, you start on the fixed grid by default but you can leave it and place your plots freely if you want to.

And again it’s not something that needs immediate change. I just think the beacon system should get a revision before 1.0 is released because how it is now it’s way to restrictive.

2 Likes

Is it a bug, or are we not allowed by any reason to place a machine next to another machine?
And the furnace is no machine?
But the crafting table is a machine?

At least these are my assumptions after trying to place my compactor next to other machines.

All of my machines are next to each other so it seems like you’re experiencing some sort of bug maybe?

I agree with the points you’ve made here. In the example you’ve given the current system isn’t ideal.

The problem is that this isn’t the configuration we’re attempting to optimise the system for. We’ve very deliberately constructed the system to make collaborative building and community coexistence simple. With the beacons on a grid we hope that it’ll be easier for people to construct communities together. They’ll be no ‘off by a single block’ beacon coverage issues.

Ultimately this is a background + reoccurring focus question - are we building a game for solo players and tiny builds or an online game for community players and large scale collaborative builds.

3 Likes

I get the overall goal you’re trying to achieve.
It’s a good system for early settlements where you just plop down your beacon and others can join you.
But if you want to make something like the city on Kovah. Then you surely want to get as much as possible out of the beacons you have. Or in other words you might want to move the whole grid (of beacons) a few blocks so it fits perfectly and you have no excess beacon space you’re not using. Because on such a scale that could be really expensive.

That’s why I thought an opt out system could meet both desires. Per default you’re bound to the grid. You can start or join with ease any settlement that builds on the grid.
And if you want to have finer control you can opt out and place the starting beacon wherever you want. It needs more coordination to not have “off by a single block” issues as you mentioned. But if you have to deliberately opt out of the grid system (Maybe even with a little warning message and somewhere in the options where you can’t accidentally opt out) then you should also be aware that such issues could arise without proper planning.
(I know there could still be such issues, even with the best planning, if 2 “non-grid towns” merch into one. But I think that’s an edge case we could either neglect or solve later when it arises.)

Another “bonus” of such an opt out system would be that the beacon system as it is now would remain untouched and the finer control could be added whenever the dev team finds time to implement it.
If there’s really no time before 1.0, it could even just be added later on top of the existing system.

Honestly, apart from the additional work I can’t really see anything that speaks against such a system.

What my question is in short: What do you (or the team) think speaks against such an opt out system?

P.S. I’m not sure this discussion should happen in this thread? You might want to move it into a separate thread if you think here is the wrong place^^

Are you guys going to balance the durability of tools and weapons in the future too? Right now it feels like a waste to make iron tools when they last just as long as stone tools. I want to mine faster but I don’t want to spend about 30 mins of woodcutting with 10 iron axes then spending atleast another hour mining in the desert for fossils with stone hammers just to find enough to make a bundle of fossil extract for more tools.

As for the beacons. I feel that increasing the area of each plot from 8x8 to 10x10 would be better and less restricting for both solo players and guilds.

Bug: If you push I to open inventory, it forces you to 3rd person view.
I accidentally posted it under the announcement the first time, and then deleted the post, so I now need to put things into the body to try to make this post un-similar to my last one that was also posted recently and this is the most amazing run on sentence in the history of the world.

That’s not a bug, just a strange feature ^^ same thing happens when you interact with machines

1 Like

Are warp conduits supposed to disappear after a single use? Just checking because it seems like the 500 coin cost would be a good enough gate to keep you from warp spamming. Mining up 10 rock and 10 timber is just a minor inconvenience compared to that.

i dunno if its a bug or if its just maybe something on my end. but often time if i try and turn or spin in place it gets very jittery and and forces me back to the original way i was facing keeping me from being able to turn often. almost like rubberbanding but only when i turn

I got a really fun graphical glitch. All of my storage units suddenly were showing their bottom right slot object at the size of the storage unit. The two exceptions were as follows:

1. When a wall slab was in the bottom right slot the top left slot item got blown up instead.
  2. When there were no items in the box, the box appeared normally

I should note that this occurred directly after warping back to my home base and that restarting the game fixed the issue.
Also, the containers still functioned normally. I didn’t think to try removing the objects to see what it would do before I restarted :frowning:

1 Like

Minor bug: when you’re in the inventory and view the context menu for an item, this shows you only the maximum (27) of an item of the items group. This should show total (33) items IMO.