Testing 240: Compactness and Shopping API!

After reflecting on this system off and on for a few weeks now the core of this issue is “The Great Adjustment” that is looming over Boundless. Part of playing an MMO is understanding and accepting that from time to time adjustments will happen and sometimes you benefit and sometimes you are penalized. The nerf bat is a well known well established thing in this space but it’s a required thing in these types of games. There is no realistic way that developers can foresee how their systems will be used and sometimes it results in unintended usage that needs to be addressed.

Will this mean some people will quit? It’s not possible to satisfy everyone.

Do you think they envisioned massive roads connecting settlements? Sure. Did they envision those roads being used to block people from expanding and as a tool to troll? Pretty safe to say no. So here we are, something has to change. At the end of the day they simply adjusted the formula to calculate prestige to incentivize particular behaviors which is again a super common approach in MMOs.

Will this solve everything? Absolutely not nerfs are just something that comes as part of the MMO experience.

1 Like

Is there any info on the current state of this release? Is the compactness going to delay it for much longer? I’m mainly interested in stress testing the BUTT performance, there’s way more planets in the live universe compared to my test environment with a large quantity of orders, it’ll require quite a lot of processing and database writes just keeping the data up to date.

I’m wondering if my current server will have enough overhead to also serve the data without choking in the process. I’d like to know if I should start optimizing everything I can or paying for more horsepower, the live version is running on an atom based server so it’s an order of magnitude slower than my test environment :smiley:

1 Like

:open_mouth::face_with_hand_over_mouth::grin:

5 Likes

It would be great if there was some sort of vague progress bar that was randomly updated by a dev that gave some indication of the progress of testing!

5 Likes

I’d say it was the other way around… green is still work to do. :).

1 Like

On the game as a whole?
:grimacing:

1 Like

Three weeks since the last TESTING update, gotta wonder what’s cooking!

I think the longer the better. Let’s iron out all the kinks. I don’t think anybody wants this update to be rushed haha for once

@AeneaGames surprise for you from illn in your mailbox at my mall

1 Like

Hmmz…

Expected new Testing…

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.