Testing 240: Compactness and Shopping API!

I’m hoping that the threshold is set lower Enough to avoid messing places like yours.

3 Likes

I apologize this stuff just gets me heated. Im visually limited (trouble seeing) so building for me is hard and arduous. So things I build I dont want to or feel like removing once finished. Since it takes me longer to do anything.

I do think still this stuff originates from Biitula issues and it bothers me when it spreads here in xafrant. I never built anything to harm or hurt or prevent anyone from anything. Im not malicious unless poked but I tend to be rather good natured and giving. So when someone attributes my builds or road as bad intentions of course it bothers me, of course it hurts me you assume that. I will even go as far to say many road builders arent building roads to hurt folks and just because you dont see them as important or necessary doesnt mean they arent to someone right? Im just tired of this it stifles creativity and that stinks in a building game.

3 Likes

Love can build a bridge. Just not Oortians.

1 Like

As long as the bridge passes a safety inspection, I’d let love build it. However, if it looks like this, I am not getting on it.

4 Likes

I see the problem here. . . that bridge has no prestige. . . :oort_s::oort_o::oort_r::oort_r::oort_y:

5 Likes

First time I’ve been more afraid of water than lava.

1 Like

I do agree that some roads were put in with good intentions. Most of my critical comments around roads has been ONLY towards those that used them to annex settlements or things like that.

Personally I see a variety of game systems that caused many problems and a lot of conflict where it was not needed. I don’t like additional “fixes” on top of things like what buffers and now the compactness stuff. I feel in the long run this hurts us all.

For me I just wanted more planets so each person had space to build and have nature parks or cities that took over the planet… While it is hard to believe and sometimes my views seem to conflict with themselves I have always been focused on trying to achieve that goal - freedom and options for everyone in the least conflict possible.

4 Likes

I agree but some also argue these trolls are doing the same thing. The challenge is finding a system that solves everything. I honestly can’t see one outside rentable / private / guild planets where the entire planet is controlled and protected from trolls.

So my question is, if we get private planets where we have absolute control, will the people who have been upset about unwanted plotters be more receptive to going with the flow in Live? Because I don’t think trolls are the root cause of most complaints, as most have acknowledged that no amount of restrictions will stop them finding a way to grief. But how many trolls are there in Boundless, like 5?

I think most complaints are over people plotting where others don’t want them to plot, which turn into arguments. So again, if the settlement owners have a place to create one singular vision, and no risk of being incorporated into another city, will there be so many conflicts?

Are there even 5 trolls in Boundless?

4 Likes

Good question! Other than a few people during hunts, I don’t think there are many trolls in the game. However, I don’t think many will openly agree with me on the actual issue. Most of the people accusing others of trolling seem to either view the game as a single-player game where anything they dislike around them is trolling or end up creating feuds between active groups of players where they constantly snipe at each other. Most of the time, these little snipe fests could have been solved by a few words or a calm conversation. For such a small community, we have a lot of personality conflicts that seem to constantly come to the front and center.

4 Likes

It is a small, intelligent, visionary community. I guess I’m lucky enough to have started with 2 (then 3 more) goofball friends who weren’t good at building, and we met up with 3 others who made kinda strange stuff, so I knew from day 1 that I would have no chance of making a sprawling city that looked exactly how I wanted. So it was easy for me to adapt because I also am not really bothered by builds that others have hated. I prefer seeing more player icons and more chatting and don’t really care what they’re building. Hence my stance on the matter.

I also hate that I’m here arguing with people I respect. It certainly would be a lot easier to make my case in person rather than on the internet. Pretty much most of my prior internet interactions with people I don’t know was scrolling through comments on songs I liked on youtube and fighting people who posted negative comments :joy:

5 Likes

The existing planets are a limited resource and not everybody wants to build in a predefined square or likes these rectangular roads. What some call pre-planning a city is, in my opinion, just a major who wants to force his will on others how big and where they can build in their city.

The problem is that the people with the most plots are also the ones using the most cheesy techniques to amplify the amount of land they can make unusable for others. Take a look at Xa Frant. There’s one settlement all around the planet. I’m sure there is no malice and it’s fun for them, but for people who don’t want to build next to or in a planet wide settlement, that’s one of 50 planets down. And others are the same.

For everyone who thinks all of his builds on a single planet must be connected to a single city, there is one who thinks these prestige links connecting the different cities are dumb. None is correct. But we should find a balance by not making it so cheap to create these links that it’s just “the normal thing to do”.

If you start with Boundless you’re quite short on plots. But in the endgame we all get way to many plots. Just smashing gleam with an XP pie and speed brew for an hour should reward you with about 6 level ups, that’s 60 plots, more if you have deluxe or a founder multiplier.

What the update tries to do is some damage control by removing the amplification technique that was often abused to cheaply “push others” away from what we consider to be “our land”.

2 Likes

Well I can give you a brief history of Xafrant and why we all came together in the first place if you want me to.

We were all in our nice lil compact area cities when I had a neighbor who I was friendly with and helped on many occasions (stopped building even to let him even get Viceroy achievement because I didnt care) Then I noticed him camping a building burner in my city (friend of mines who left game) I kind of realized that day he was not on the up n up. Suddenly almost overnight he had almost built around me in a C pattern backing me up to the Host settlement. Then I see this clown on a youtube channel talking about “This guys so stupid he doesnt realize Im gonna take over his planet,” talking about me. Well now it was confirmed he was a snake taking advantage of my kindness. I then asked HOST for his much needed help before I was totally snuffed out. I didnt have a lot of plots then and if not for HOST I would have been cut off completely. He came in buffered me with A ROAD and saved me from being caged.then I eventually plotted the road he built the other guy left planet and still to this day claims victimhood.

So no the roads were not FUN, or something I even wanted to build actually at all, BUT when building my road I found some nice places I wanted to further place projects in that may not have inspired me had i not had to build a road plus it set an easy path for ppl to build hunting platforms that did in fact sprout up after that (which I dont really care for but its needed for the community so who am I to be offended, it helps ppl.)

So as I said in my past posts roads while I never was a fan at first became a necessity for my survival and only having had to build one did I see the positivity for roads and how many folks I saw hunting and using them.

I hope this clears up the whole “Corporate take over” mindset it was none of that it was about survival and pulling together as a community to fight off a clearly hostile takeover from one bad apple. thx for reading.

3 Likes

Oh, my sweet summer child…

11 Likes

there are 6

2 Likes

When I respond to a PM, it would be nice if it used the character the PM was sent to, so players aren’t confused.

Yes, “user error” on my part for not selecting a diff character to respond from, but sometimes there’s a lot going on & multiple conversations/chats.

The game separates characters & all of their things, but chat doesn’t seem to follow the same rules.

A minor annoyance. No biggie, though :+1:

1 Like

I agree this change will be good, I’m fine with them implementing this new compactness system. I love this game, and the devs are only trying to make it fair for all who play it, and stop the snake plotting. I’m totally fine with it, thank you devs.

2 Likes

Wondering how the status is of this Testing release…

Thank you.

You didn’t mention GMs but I think GMs not complicated rules are the solution to trolling.

1 Like

What about the part not related to trolling but the part James mentioned to reduce sprawl? Since trolling is only part of the problem what is your suggestion to remove the sprawl? Use a GM where players complain, like they do now, that some players are treated differently than other players?