Testing 241: Beacon Reclaims!

A great feature for Boundless :+1:
This will help to retain people in the future and also attract people that know about potential decay.
A big step to a more user friendly universe :heart:

11 Likes

Amazing update, can’t wait to see that in game.
Just hope the cost is not too much :smile:
But I think its very fair for such powerful system like this :boundless:
Good job Devs !!

5 Likes

Great stuff! Can’t wait to go test this out. This is great for the future of Boundless!

4 Likes

Agreed with all - this is wonderful, great work devs! :smiley: I put a link to this thread on the Reddit, will get the info out where I can… figure knowing this is coming may sway some of those on the fence that might be hesitating due to concerns about losing stuff.

5 Likes

I’m so happy about this.

3 Likes

On the issue of cost and possible exploits:

1. Create many temporary 1 plot beacons across many worlds.
  2. Collected items into a single storage beacon and expire it to create a cloud storage.
  3. Whichever world you want access to your cloud storage - just reclaim it onto 1 of your spare single plot beacons.
  4. Grab whatever you want.
  5. Expire the beacon.
  6. Goto 3.

So all items, instantly on any world.

My first thought was to give players their reclaims for free if they expire naturally (say a lapsed player returning), but charge a nominal cubit value if it’s expired manually. Just to make sure that if you do excessively use the system then it’s going to start costing something.

Obviously we’d like to avoid this as no one like the specter of p2w.

25 Likes

Instead of cubits, you could potentially make it some sort of item cost, with a sort of “crafting GUI” showing up when you go to reclaim beacons you manually expired.

Maybe beacon fuels, normal fuels, or something else.

Edit: Basically, just find a good cost balance between punishing someone wanting to start over and move their base, and making it too easy to for some players to exploit via your aforementioned method. I’d love to see a good “fix” to this that doesn’t require cubits.

What if you made it cost an ingame value or special item drop of manual term.

For example new meteor drop on t7 or t8:

Cosmic shard - collect enough of these for a individual caused term of a beacon

I wonder if the cost could be tied directly to the total mint cost of items recovered that way. Like a % of the total mint cost of all the items recovered.

Seems to be the best way to scale it without punishing players who recover relatively inexpensive items.

6 Likes

This is good. This could be a GREAT solution to those trying to build up a cloud storage. The more they add, the harder it is to recover.

1 Like

Natural expiration could also be exploited by using camp fires. You could add a minimum age of a beacon to be allowed to redeem for free. Like 4 weeks which is the smallest fuel or 1 week account inactivity.
Alternative idea: allow like 1 free reclaim each week and unlimited for players that are long inactive.

6 Likes

new way of goo farming? 100% seed back if I unclaim and place a campfire + beacon hmm…

4 Likes

I will make sure this will happen

1 Like

New way of mining? Can I plot an entire mountain, reclaim it, then get all the contents of said mountain delivered to my home planet?

only placed items will be picked up

6 Likes

I read the ENTIRE thing, how did I miss that :joy:

Very very good point…but good on anyone who wants to spend that much time making a goo kernel with no crop I say.

1 Like

I’ll like to see a minimum age of a beacon before it will get reclamed, so that people cant use the unclame and replace campfire + beacon exploited

8 Likes

This would help with the abuse as well.

1 Like

Yeah, get outta here, cloud storage!
ⁱ ˢᵗⁱˡˡ ʷᵃⁿᵗ ᵇᵃᶜᵏᵖᵃᶜᵏˢ ᵗʰᵒᵘᵍʰ

2 Likes