Testing 241: Beacon Reclaims!

in case of this reclaim system, there will be complains about “pay to continue playing” or “pay to come back” bla bla bla - which will 100000% scare future players away, even more then before.

hmm maybe. .

It wouldn’t be pay to come back if you get to reclaim for free after your beacon has existed for X amount of time (4 weeks for example). Only pay if you manually trigger reclamation.

6 Likes

I cant imagine all the possible scenarios of exploiting but going with the one you mentioned, maybe a beacon thats older than 2 weeks costs nothing but beacons newer than that (possible exploiters) cost like 300 cubits per retrieval?

2 Likes

I think the issue with having cubits as the possible cost, is that to some people money ain’t an issue. Therefore will be able to do this over and over without any real cost. Whereas the opposite is also true. So that would be giving another benefit to irl rich people, something lesser earners couldn’t take advantage of.

But that could all be bypassed by not making it worth it, like you suggested, a time gate of sorts

9 Likes

This.

Timegate is preferred over money.

4 Likes

neither money in life, nor coin in game is distributed evenly. so any material cost could be seen as unfair by some. (and will surely scare new players) I too think that a time gate, or maybe a cumulative debuff is a fit ‘punishment’

2 Likes

You could add a counter to each reclaim storage and track the number of times it has been reclaimed by a beacon. If a reclaim storage is created by a merge it retains the highest counter if the source storages (Or even sums them up).

If that counter is below - let’s say 3 - reclaim is free, if it’s higher, it could get more expensive to reclaim each time. As the intended use cases would involve to reclaim it once or twice such a counter could detect cloud storage exploits.

Also, maybe a legit cloud storage like an Ender Chest Rift Chest with limited capacity and one shared storage per character could be a thing? :grin:

5 Likes

I’ve been thinking about camp fires and lucent chests to get this feature, I’ll try to make a suggestion post with more details on my ideas

1 Like

it’s going to be replaced by something else? although I am not sure what that info below means really:

anyways, whatever it is that entire build turns to and by whatever process, the questions remain:

1. will this be break-able?
  2. will this be plot-able?

Ad.1 I would prefer the reclaimed items to be replaced by something that cannot be broken and collected, to avoid some kind of crazy reclaim-beacon madness (people expiring beacons just to collect them blocks that replace the original build).
Ad. 2 I would prefer expired beacon-turned-ash to be reserved (impossible to plot by anyone) until its entire area is fully regenerated. Come visit, take screenshots, enjoy the turned-to-ash beacon and then leave it to regen. We don’t need more reasons to overcrowd existing worlds (someone might be moving entire base to a rented planet, but instead of freed space for others, it’s still occupied by the ashen copy of the original).

1 Like

It should all turn into sponge. Because it would be hilarious to see it across a 10k plot area on a t1 planet from space.

Edit: And it should be greyish purple. That way it looks like zerg creep. And it should be full of warp wraiths.

7 Likes

Ash is only used in one recipe and it doesn’t provide the color, right?

It seems like a pretty harmless block selection. It’s a pretty common block harvestable at low levels in large quantity so it’s not like turning a build into ash and then harvesting it is going to provide any economic advantage. It would be a waste of tools vs. farming it where it’s solid.

I’m sure some will want to sell it as building blocks or ‘rare colors’ but will there really be any market for that? Only some who want it for a color accent, don’t mind the texture, and don’t want to do the work of creating it themselves. It might exist but IMO it’s not exactly going to be a booming market.

7 Likes

Question!! Does this apply to already expired beacons? Like ones that are gone right now, due to my own hubris and negligence? I couldnt get through all the patch notes, and just skimmed it and the replies. I kinda want my coils and junk back…

Can unfortunately pretty much guarantee that this won’t be retro-actively applied.

4 Likes

Maybe you can set the reclaim system only works on more than 10k prestige beacons (or higher prestige) AND an amount of required plots (more than 30 plots bla bla bla).
I did think up with only apply on Home Beacon, but since people can just exploit it as normally by switching home beacon forth and back.
Requiring beacon fuels for each item reclaiming maybe a way.
Requiring Cubit to reclaim stuffs back will result in negative reviews as I mentioned above, since we have more than enough complains about the nonsenses of “lootbox” that they called.

Prestige/ plots requirement would screw over any new’ish players.

15 Likes

I guess cubits would make most sense then. Coin would screw over newbies too that never got a ton of coin

Is it possible to not add any fee/cost for the 1st 30 days after this feature is added? I ask because it will be a new feature, so:

1. Players on live will probably want to test it out a few times to see how it works.

2. A lot of players will probably use it to collect up their random beacons/places that have been scattered across the universe for some time now. So it will see extreme/heavy use when it’s first added.

14 Likes

Yup I plan on using this right away. I want to get rid of all my random builds or places I used to live :sweat_smile:

1 Like

An option to delete beacons directly from the beacon list would be nice too. It would definitely help with the clutter.

3 Likes