Testing 245: Sovereign Worlds!

This isn’t true at the very least, based on my experiences with my test planet. The world might spawn with a palette but you get full control over the colors for individual blocks (within the confines of what is currently used within the public/private worlds) without being forced to choose things that the game thinks will be aesthetically pleasing.

Thanks for the clarification. I’ll scratch that part out.

1 Like

They never said this either. The way I interpreted everything is that every color is available from the initial RNG. Once a color spawns you can choose it later on for a different planet. So if the perfect green or blue foliage was rolled by another user for their planet, you could then roll your own planet, and adjust the colors to Any known colors (including the green or blue foliage that the previous user just got) so the issues your describing I feel aren’t true? Unless I’m interpreting it wrong?

Yeah, this all seems true per @Nightstar’s assembly of quotes from James (which can be found here)

Here’s what Luca posted earlier:

I think this is right but if your world type (Lush for example which is what most players will want if they are building) has some back end algorithm that will want to create earthlike colors and restricts certain bright colors then it is somewhat disingenuous of the developers to say that any color is possible if they are restricted by type of planet. If the algorithm are not going to be used on the Sovereign planets then all colors would be possible.

Did you see what Nightstar shared though? James made 500 worlds and got 200 colors. So it looks like over time there’s actually a fair chance of unlocking quite a few colors.

Well via the World Control interaction any available color is possible regardless of what the world spawned in as.

Any color that’s currently present on perm planets for those specific blocks or been rolled on another sovereign planet

2 Likes

Any color that has at one point been present on any sovereign or perm planets for those specific blocks* I think.

Actually, its 200 colors, but he never said what the breakdown was per block. He could literally mean “200 different colors” showed up across all blocks, which is more in line with what our current exo setups are showing. From our current exo breakdown, that is about accurate, which means it can take tens of thousands of planets to actually get every color of all blocks.

8 Likes

It’s a little bit of a spurious response though IMO.

Worlds have 45 different blocks/surface resources that can spawn… it stands to reason that you can get 200 different colours spread across those items. What it does not mean, is that players will be able to get a choice of those 200 colours for each and every block/surface resource.

Unless, of course, James forgot to mention it was 200 different colours for a single block type :man_shrugging:

Edit: Hah, @Peyago beat me to the post lol

7 Likes

My point is the system that generates the initial colors is rigged based on planet type. So thinking you can get any color on the initial roll out of the planet could be a false premise.

3 Likes

Well the theme of the forums is already “who knows, devs are quiet” so we might as well be asking how many licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie pop. (Yes, I know it’s roughly between 200 and 400 and studies have actually been done, just trying to use some humor).

Hopefully well get 1… 2… 3… new colors even if only on the plants :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

To be honest, it does seem like that have created systems that wildly conflict with each other…

On one hand, you have James saying every colour is possible (which, with enough people renting their own planet is technically possible), but on the other hand you have Luca saying that with all the colours available… exo worlds become “less special”, gleambow racing and goo farming become pretty much obsolete.

To me, it seems like there are restrictions put in place on colours to protect those 3 existing systems. Eventually it will happen… all colours will become available… which I guess gives them time to work in new things to replace or supplement those 3 affected systems… but at what cost?

To end on a bit of a pun, I feel like they have painted themselves into a corner by not researching what customers would have wanted (especially when it came to paid services such as sovereign worlds), before implementing the other systems, which now may stifle a potential income stream.

13 Likes

I’m quite confident we will see between 4500-5000 planets spun up in the first few months strictly based on pockets I know people have and comments those peoples with pockets have made.

Unless the developer is going to limit how many you can rent a month, in which case, thats still easy to get around.

In either case the reasoning is/seems arbitrary, time limited, and at face value looks like a money grab even though I have seen the argument that it is not. The appearance is there and that’s all that matters to many who have not yet discovered the game.

To be completely honest hasn’t this been the case since 1.0 launched? I miss the days there used to be more engagement and discussion with the community on ideas before introducing things and weathering the inevitable blowback :pensive:

3 Likes

The forums on this topic, across quite a few threads now have seemed quite civil, introspective, and allowing for a collaboration of thoughts. Is that not usually how it is? Or are you saying that the community conversation is just meaningless because the developers end goal is completely different from what the community discusses?

1 Like

I’m saying we used to have this and now we don’t.

3 Likes