Testing 245: Sovereign Worlds!

It’s a little bit of a spurious response though IMO.

Worlds have 45 different blocks/surface resources that can spawn… it stands to reason that you can get 200 different colours spread across those items. What it does not mean, is that players will be able to get a choice of those 200 colours for each and every block/surface resource.

Unless, of course, James forgot to mention it was 200 different colours for a single block type :man_shrugging:

Edit: Hah, @Peyago beat me to the post lol

7 Likes

My point is the system that generates the initial colors is rigged based on planet type. So thinking you can get any color on the initial roll out of the planet could be a false premise.

3 Likes

Well the theme of the forums is already “who knows, devs are quiet” so we might as well be asking how many licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie pop. (Yes, I know it’s roughly between 200 and 400 and studies have actually been done, just trying to use some humor).

Hopefully well get 1… 2… 3… new colors even if only on the plants :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

To be honest, it does seem like that have created systems that wildly conflict with each other…

On one hand, you have James saying every colour is possible (which, with enough people renting their own planet is technically possible), but on the other hand you have Luca saying that with all the colours available… exo worlds become “less special”, gleambow racing and goo farming become pretty much obsolete.

To me, it seems like there are restrictions put in place on colours to protect those 3 existing systems. Eventually it will happen… all colours will become available… which I guess gives them time to work in new things to replace or supplement those 3 affected systems… but at what cost?

To end on a bit of a pun, I feel like they have painted themselves into a corner by not researching what customers would have wanted (especially when it came to paid services such as sovereign worlds), before implementing the other systems, which now may stifle a potential income stream.

13 Likes

I’m quite confident we will see between 4500-5000 planets spun up in the first few months strictly based on pockets I know people have and comments those peoples with pockets have made.

Unless the developer is going to limit how many you can rent a month, in which case, thats still easy to get around.

In either case the reasoning is/seems arbitrary, time limited, and at face value looks like a money grab even though I have seen the argument that it is not. The appearance is there and that’s all that matters to many who have not yet discovered the game.

To be completely honest hasn’t this been the case since 1.0 launched? I miss the days there used to be more engagement and discussion with the community on ideas before introducing things and weathering the inevitable blowback :pensive:

3 Likes

The forums on this topic, across quite a few threads now have seemed quite civil, introspective, and allowing for a collaboration of thoughts. Is that not usually how it is? Or are you saying that the community conversation is just meaningless because the developers end goal is completely different from what the community discusses?

1 Like

I’m saying we used to have this and now we don’t.

3 Likes

WOW. Understood. I see your point.

3 Likes

It will be interesting if that happens. I’ve decided to save my money until I see how this is all going to work. Just farm out levels or take a break until we see how many colors become available. We’ll see a lot for the first 100 or so gem planets, but its going to slow way down after that.

4 Likes

Interesting. 50-60 planets a day for 90 days straight? Spending $15,000-$75,000 to attempt to squeeze out some colors? Yeah, no thanks. What kind of racket is that?

5 Likes

Its definitely going to pop up in a bad way across some gaming news organizations if it happens.

2 Likes

If 100 people spin 20 planets in 1 day that is 2000 planets. if 20 people spin out 100 planets. Same result. Just a point of comparison. There will be at least a handful of people that will spin until they get their colors. Another poster above already mentioned “whales this is your time to shine” and we will certainly see that.

From what we know as current of the system, the RNG for colors has an extremely ArcheAge cash system feel to it. And I 100% agree that the image it generates isn’t one that would be healthy for the potential growth, whether it is the intent or not.

1 Like

Why? Why are players spending irl $$$ in order for a chance to add a few colors? There is a chance you won’t get any new colors. Chance is chance.

3 Likes

LOL. Most excellent question. Why do people spend money on lootboxs or skins or thousands of dollars for a .05% chance at an upgrade of an ultra legendary weapon?

People do foolish things with their money. There is an entire industry based on that concept.

1 Like

H*ll, just buy copies of the game and give it out to people in your streams and we’ll get more new players that way. More planets too. :roll_eyes: — and it would cost a lot less $$$.

3 Likes

The biggest problem is that we don’t have 100 whales in this game. We have maybe 10ish? And a couple of them have already said this system isn’t worth fighting.

2 Likes

Yeah do we really think we have players willing to spend at ($20 per month ) $400 to $2000 each to spin up planets? I think you are being way to optimistic. I may have bought a backer package for quite a bit, but I am not in the mood to play color roulette.

1 Like

I’m not saying players shouldn’t spend money if they want to. Spending $$ to “roll” or “spin” planets for a chance to possibly get something (maybe not) is gambling.

bet

At least if I pay to access a new map or buy a skin I know what the heck I’m getting.

3 Likes