Testing 245: Sovereign Worlds!

I don’t know. Time will tell. I think there are more whales that just havent had anything to spend their money on, that missed the ‘investment’ stage.

I can certainly understand how the games initial whales would want to have little to do with throwing more money at things. I don’t think it is optimism. Just a potential reality.

1 Like

AS far as the current 50 Permanent Planet rock colors

There are:

34 colors of sedimentary Rock -
24 colors of Metamorphic Rock
31 Colors of Igneous Rock

So I guess these are our choices to start. Seems like we are missing a lot for no good reason to me

1 Like

Correct, and that is why I also included the comment about spending $$ for a .05% chance to upgrade a weapon. Something with little to no gain but status. It’s also why I brought up Archeage as I feel like most people know how that company operates.

I think it’s irrational to do so, because I like to spend money on guaranteed things, like you I presume,

Anyhow, this is all just pure speculation, we still have no idea what the cost of the system is going to be, how easy or hard on wallets it will be, and many other variables unaccounted for :slight_smile:

1 Like

I set aside $2500 over the past year to throw at these rental planets. I’ve been waiting for them to release since I learned about them in EA. I’ll save my money and let others waste theirs. I hope you are right that others will waste tens of thousands of dollars, but the majority of it is going to go to amazon and not WS.

4 Likes

Honestly I wouldn’t know how many there is. I didn’t even know that 3k different people logged in a month. But…

So whose to really know who is a whale and who isn’t.

Also @majorvex if I have the money to spend on something I enjoy why not. Won’t just be colors that I’ll get access to. And I’ve already bought this game for people. People that I know and random people I’ve seen playing Minecraft. Lol

2 Likes

3500 MAU is quite impressive to me, given what I thought the games player base was.

3 Likes

Spend away :woman_shrugging:

But hey, you might get a color.

But I’ll also have gem(hunt) planets. Possible bean galore planet. Not just the colors Ill be taking a chance on. :slightly_smiling_face: plus the planets I don’t care for will be public off the get go and give something for the community to do.

7 Likes

Please, get tons of them. Just because I’m not willing to do it doesn’t mean I’m not all for other people doing it.

7 Likes

if it will be the case i just hope they can handle this kind of thing. Plus we don’t know yet how all this will cost for what frame time.

If the price is decent and player start doing this we gonna be flooded by worlds and idk if its great thing either.

@james Will the colors stay in the list once a sovereign world go offline ?

1 Like

Here’s how I see it, people like you and a handful of others made the game possible in general, right, with your backing? I think we’ve seen just as many people with the ability to do so come to the game and just have been looking for something to dump their money in to the game to show support in their own way and feel like they get something in return (skins have been limited, plots only go so far, cubits in general could enjoy a sprucing up really).

If that is the case, you will be able to benefit from them unlocking things, where as everyone else has benefited from the initial backing the game was given. Symbiotic in a way.

i know some have mutiple accounts so this might inflate the numbers a bit.

1 Like

A lot of our innate behavioral predispositions aren’t necessarily an adaptive advantage in modern contexts. Reading on the psychology behind gaming (both video games and gambling) is interesting stuff. The chance to get an uncertain positive feedback stimulates a reward center in not just our brains but other mammals as well. The hit of dopamine is like a drug, literally… even most compulsive gamblers will admit the lack of logic/self-destructiveness of their habits, but the behavior has become an addiction, hard-wired. Interesting read on operant conditioning and video games - https://scholarworks.sjsu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1005&context=art108

Artificial scarcity, obtaining something others find desirable provides quite a hit there… look at the holiday seasons where everybody just has to have and loses their minds over some toy that really isn’t anything more special than others out there. Others want it, so you want it too.

I know I went way OT here, so feel free to move/delete, but can’t help chiming in when this stuff comes up, as I find it fascinating.

All that said - oh yeah, if I can afford it I’ll do a few tries! :smile:

7 Likes

And people who don’t pay for gleamclub have to log in once a month for their builds if they use the starter fuel. Its nice to see we have at least a couple thousand interested/invested though.

4 Likes

I’m not really very familiar with goo farming, but I thought that the block rarity issue was all but resolved by this system? Can you not mutate goo and mix pigments to a specific desired color in meaningful enough quantity to overcome color rarity issues?

I know it could be a massive operation, but I’ve also seen the scale of some of y’alls works… should be quite achievable.

3 Likes

you cant tint many blocks atm so no,

5 Likes

Aside from some natural blocks, plants and gleam that can’t be sprayed, yes.

4 Likes

Ah, I didn’t realize there were that many restrictions on tinting, thank you.

4 Likes

I didn’t back the game nearly as much as my title says. When the game released I was a wayfarer. I was gifted an oortian key by a very generous person who wanted to support my building addiction :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: . Unfortunately, people throwing money into rental planets aren’t going to be providing a lot of income for WS, but to whoever hosts their servers. They are supporting the player base’s options for rentals, but they aren’t really benefiting the company too much.

Edit: That is not to say having a larger options for worlds and planets to explore isn’t a boon all on its own.

3 Likes

Also comes down to cost and quantity required for builds. Certainly some players I know build big and want to build big on rental worlds. With no sustainable income for builders, it’s simply a case of not being able to buy what you need.

7 Likes