Testing 245: Sovereign Worlds!

Huge, huge :+1:, excellent solution, thanks to you all for this!! :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Now the only thing missing is the ability to set a rental as your home world and I feel weā€™re good to go for the first iteration of Sovereign Worlds!

3 Likes

Can I just say, as far as communication goes, this is perfect. Hereā€™s what weā€™re doing, not doing, and why.

9 Likes

Hopefully there is coming some creative solution for home setting so that nobody can get trapped to Sanctum :smiley:

3 Likes

And here is the real issue. Players that want something that no one else can have not because it is good for the game, but because it makes them, feel what? Important? Special?

Who cares if player A has spent 3000 hours in game and player B has only spent 100. If player B finds something rare enough then they can hold it high and be what? Proud that they were playing when this item occurred? So it has nothing to do with progression or fairness. It is all about the player and the needs of an individual player over the needs of the community.

#All255

12 Likes

Who said itā€™s not good for the game? Keep in mind this forum is a vocal minority on many issues. We donā€™t have representative data from many players on their feelings of color scarcity. So to say how I feel is not good for the game just isnā€™t fact. We donā€™t know whatā€™s true or not true or whats ACTUALLY good for the game or not. This whole forum is just a bunch of us giving our own personal opinions on the situations. What I think is good for the game is going to be different from what you think is good for the game.

And yes. Regardless of that, who doesnā€™t want to feel special or important? Iā€™m selfish and Iā€™m human. If player B in your scenario got lucky and got something rare that player A didnā€™t have the time for then thatā€™s the way the ball rolls. Itā€™s disappointing as can be but that is what makes the item special in my own (biased) opinion.

1 Like

Yup! Iā€™m all for locking the initial warp location, the one you get when you walk out of sanctum for the very first time! And since itā€™s not allowed to start on a rental planet this should work!

3 Likes

I would like have more home planet if home beacon is set Sovereign.

If the game is about building communities then making key areas of the game cater to players being selfish seems to be contradictory. Are we supposed to build communities or be exclusively out for ourselves? And no you cannot have it both ways.

If your goal is to further decrease players in the public universe part of the game then this seems to be the right tact to take. And explain to me, how exactly is fewer players in the public universe good for the game? Fewer customers for all the goods being made. Fewer hunters looking for Oort. Less footfall for all the community infrastructure so less coin into the game. I am struggling to find the good part.

#All255

2 Likes

I said I was selfish out of admittance for why I like color rarity. Youā€™re somehow twisting it to mean that Iā€™m against building community in the game? You can easily have both community in game and exclusivity in our individual builds within the community. My goal is NOT to decrease the player base and I never once said that in any way. You seem to think itā€™s a binary choice here. But itā€™s not. And you donā€™t know what every other player in this game prefers either. And nor do I. So Iā€™m not saying whatā€™s best for the game or player base. Iā€™m saying what my PERSONAL opinion is

2 Likes

It is a binary choice. When the players that insist on colors being rare tell other players to go off and play in creative or that they would be happier in creative then they make it a binary choice. Either accept it or leave the public universe. Where is the third choice? There is none.

5 Likes

The problem is the only ā€œuniqueā€ thing we have is colors. Many of us on here have said people hold on to color scarcity because we donā€™t have those other items like rare weapons/rare armor/unique skins to set us apart/make us feel superior.

5 Likes

I donā€™t get why one has to feel ā€œsuperiorā€ in a game like this. I get it for games like FF14 and WoW etc. But I wonā€™t ever understand in this type of game.

5 Likes

Because itā€™s an MMO. Simple as that. Iā€™m am MMO people need to feel superior to others in some way.

1 Like

Again in a game like this it doesnā€™t make sense. Having a ā€œrareā€ color doesnā€™t make you better or superior to anyone. Not in the slightest bit.

8 Likes

Good progression to see that colours can be changed every payment cycle but still doesnā€™t mean that the colours a player actually wants will turn up any time soon, though I hope Iā€™m wrong in this pessimistic but maybe realistic assumption.
Still seems not the time for the overly fussy player with high update expectations (cā€™est moi) who ideally, if paying money on a regular basis, wants to choose (not wish for) the backdrop colours for their long term build, still not be totally tied to that rental planet, be part of the mmo community and not be on the creative world path.
I think I just got really excited over time as hints of this update dribbled out and really expected a different approach by the devs for enticing long term players to continue staying long term and build grandiose structures.
I know I am in the minority though but I am genuinely glad to see a lot of peeps excited for update.

2 Likes

Could just open a portal to a random location on the connected planet once the sovereign world is gone.

7 Likes

Yeah that works too

1 Like

I doesnā€™t make them literally better, but it does make them feel better than others.

Not that I agree with it or think itā€™s for the betterment of the game, but I do understand why the people want who to keep colour scarcity do so. Thereā€™s probably even a word for it (and itā€™s probably German, they have all the best words).

3 Likes

It would actually make sense to have bound to planet that it is orbiting.