Testing 245: Sovereign Worlds!

I agree and that is a shortcoming to the game. If they need rare items then specifically create rare items like trophies or drops that are not in recipes. Get away from colors being rare in a building game.

#All255

11 Likes

There could be something new to collect :slight_smile:
I am okay how colors are working now, but I think it shouldn’t limit building like they say it is. Color choices as affecting also to my building material choices, if it is exo exclusive I just can’t choose it as easy.

I see Sovereign worlds as safe havens for player communities, not fix for color scarcity.

Maybe superior is the wrong word, though for some people it is superiority. Think like transmog/glam in WoW and FFXIV. People will farm dungeons/raids for days/weeks/months for glam and transmog just to stand out or have something to work towards. The equivalent to that in boundless is colors. It sucks for those of us that just want to build with all colors at our disposal though since the whole game revolves around building.

2 Likes

Ahh but iirc in ff14 you can at least buy those with :moneybag: as well :sweat_smile:

Lemme buy my colors for my planet lol

2 Likes

Quick, edit this out! This might work for you but this 800+ long thread will double in size if people start to debate this :rofl:

I kid, I kid.

3 Likes

You’re not wrong tho. I probably should :joy:

1 Like

Well, we just unlock all 255 colours on rentals! Then the #all255 people are happy!

Then add very rare new set of 255 colours! Then everyone is happy!

5 Likes

:joy:

Oh boy I can see it all now.

It’d be like shinies in pokemon huh? my kids just got me in to the pokemon go thing, i don’t even care about the game and got 4 shinies over the weekend… meanwhile theyve never seen one. They were really upset.

3 Likes

Like Rare Blue or Rare Warm Blue. “Hey look at my rare block. Go ahead and hit it with a totem. Yup, only 2 of these in the boundless universe :sunglasses:”

2 Likes

People like to feel set apart, or unique. This can make them feel better, or < Insert emotion name > even if it’s not about being better than other people.

The big box of crayons is 64 colors. And every kid wants the big box. Some of them complain about only having the 8/16/24 sure. But I don’t think many, if any, ever sat down to the coloring book with 64 shades and said “OMG this is stifling my creativity”.

I’ve asked in the past and never got a straight answer to how color scarcity is ‘artificial’ and gold scarcity isn’t. They’re the selected mechanics for the game and so to me, a good part of being creative in any system is learning to work within the bounds of the system.

I’m used to ‘color scarcity’ being a thing in any game I’ve ever played with customization options, and to be entirely honest I sometimes feel like certain people just absolutely have to have something because they know it could exist. It doesn’t matter how many there are, they just need access to all of them

Then again in another universe I own a space ship, and I spent over a year and several hundred USD gathering the necessary materials and help to get it turned chrome and black. So while there might be some discussion surrounding the terminology, I definitely know where @Gerentt is coming from.

Anyways I’m not really bothered by it either way. But sometimes, following the discussions and looking at the comments and the emotions expressed, I really don’t get the bitterness. I mean, it surprises and in some ways causes me enough concern when I see some of the expressions used that it pushes me to speak out on an issue I don’t even feel super strongly about.

It’s not the situation that’s polarizing, IMO, it’s the arguments. And in a place where people often mention a silent majority, I have to say it seems like the same 5 - 10 people or less that I see laying out the same hyperbole over this issue all the time.

Not that I have a spreadsheet of names or anything but, yeah…

:man_shrugging:

5 Likes

As a kid I refused to color if my pack did not have the ‘midnight blue’ color in it. It was my favorite color and if I couldn’t color with my favorite color then I wasn’t going to color at all!

man, I missed a lot of cool projects in time out.

as far as the conversation around color scarcity being ‘polarizing’, it’s a literal discussion of have and have not. Any conversation that’s based around have and have not will lead to some degree of what can be construed as lively discussion.

2 Likes

I can go out and find as much gold as I need right now. I have to mine for it and locate it but I know I can find gold right now in the public universe. And I can get the quantity I want. Gold is not limited to planets with a limited lifespan (exos) or events. Limiting a color to a planet that does not exist when I need the color is color scarcity. On top of which the algorithms used to create the planets, skew colors in particular directions based on tiers making the appearance of colors even less likely. An example is tier one planet rocks will skew towards grey and the algorithm is trying to make an “earthlike” pallet. This is why I think color scarcity is artificial. Plus the statement by the developers that they want to keep the exos and gleambow special, indicates a further effort to limit the colors in the universe. Because I guess no one would go to an exo for the exo specific lucent items or the gems or the metals or the exo specific liquids like resin. Players only go there for the colors.

I am not used to color scarcity in a Sandbox game and Boundless is advertised as a Sandbox MMO and not just an MMO. That does not mean you do not have to mine it and craft it. But that does not mean the colors get doled out over 10 years either. And if you are not lucky enough to be around when the colors you want might be available, then that is just tough luck and you should be happy about the color being rare. Because other wise how could players feel special or important? Its not like they could help new players or build a new player welcome center. It is not like they could not lead hunts or some of the other events like the recent giveaway or the various arena sports players have come up with. Its not like they cannot help with a portal network or something that adds value to the public universe.

Who gets remembered by other players? The guy with the blue rock or the guy that ran events for groups of players?

#All255

8 Likes

Well that’s because the 8 and 16 packs include basic colors like black, red, blue etc lol. But if I see a box of 255 I’m going to want the box of 255. Doesn’t mean I will get it, but won’t stop me from repeatedly asking for it.

2 Likes

Anyway we have gotten too far off topic. This is the important part and a good compromise. But my next question is what is a payment cycle? 30 days?

For me most discussions in the forum can be resumed to this picture.

3 Likes

That is so funny! I had so many crayons and probably used 5-10 most of the time. Shades of colors…what is that. Love it!

2 Likes

@Kal-El thanks for the depth on that.

If they sold rental planet colors to add to your collection for $1 each that would be a win. Not a pay2win, just a win. Colors are just block skins - change my mind :joy:

I was the same growing up. I only used a handful of colors for everything. Looking at boundless, even a year ago I was happy using solid colors for stuff. Now I’ve been getting into using additional shades to add depth. Unfortunately, I can’t spray foliage for my trees and most of the existing colors are just too far apart to use more than two shades together. I feel like I finally need the 256 box.

4 Likes

Yup! For extra added fun: there’s also goo of these which can be self sustaining, plus a small chance of morphing to another super rare colour!

Gotta say, would make going to exos mighty fun again, hunting down these rare blocks and super goo!

2 Likes