Testing 246: Creative Worlds!

Ehh, @james, what’s happening over there? You guys seem back to being overly productive like in the past!

Noticed someone had swapped out the coffee for decaf and now the whole office is back on regular? :rofl:

Soo ehm, release this week? :blush:

2 Likes

This is possible now, was it intended to be? @almund created one from my planet to his and then I also created one between my planet and someone else’s planet as a test.

As a side note, the “same planet” portals are working fine now.

1 Like

No I think they’re ramping up productivity to throw a lot of updates out at once to celebrate 2nd birthday of Boundless

:+1: :+1: :wink:

I was able to do the same creating a portal from my creative planet to @Stretchious creative planet. I was still not able to move a token from the creative to the survival side or the survival to the creative side to create a portal.

Edit: Not sure if this makes a difference or not. They are not orbiting the same Survival Planet. Mine is orbiting Munten and his is orbiting Alcor II

Enabling the creation of portals between Survival and Creative worlds will be added shortly.

But this does create an unavoidable problem. It’s not possible to allow:

• Portals between Survival and Creative worlds, AND
  • Free portals between Creative worlds.

The issue is that portal networks could be shifted into Creative worlds where long range portals could be created for free. This would dramatically disrupt the portal networks and associated economy.

It’s frustrating and disappointing that we’re unable to find a solution here that allows:

1. players to connect creative worlds, AND
  2. no disruption to the survival worlds, AND
  3. creative + survival worlds in the same universe.

If we did allow free portals between creative worlds, then there would need to be a limit that stopped players transiting the survival worlds via a creative network. I haven’t been able to find an acceptable way of doing this.

Unless someone in the community has a cunning solution…

4 Likes

i honestly don’t know ;-; that’s a sad problem. if i get a creative world, it would be a T5 chill world acessable from circa. people could come see my capital!

Make it so creative worlds can open a maximum of 3 portals to any planet, but only within a maximum of 2 blinksecs.

This way players can connect to the world they orbit, plus up to 2 other sovereign or creative planets orbiting that same world (or all 3 connections to the same world if they wish).

8 Likes

Hmm… I’ll chew on this some more, but one thing that comes to mind, not sure if practical/doable: using a creative-creative portal inflicts a debuff that prevents using a creative-survival portal for a period of time (edit: BUT you could still use the portal if you go survival to creative, so you can get back to creative worlds… just not creative to survival). Say, a couple hours. Because you still have to have a survival home beacon, you aren’t stuck, still warp home then proceed from there; and because of this, not really too harsh a penalty, at least IMO (thinking of how I’d take it if I were playing). Then you could have purely creative free hubs, still have creative-survival portals in them, but they wouldn’t be too practical to use to bypass the survival portal economy unless you had a lot of time to kill.

2 Likes

Although the fact that portals would be fueled for free, I wouldnt be comfortable using a portal network that is on a creative planet, simply because the person that has the planet cause stop playing/paying and the whole thing would disappear. But that’s just me.

Maybe allow only 1 or 2 portals to me made to lead to other planets (is that even possible?), that would prevent people trying to exploit it. Or limit the size of the portals that can be done. That would also work. If you can only do 1-2 blinksecs portals, it makes most of the other planet inaccessible. At the very least, the planets from other servers would be

1 Like

Assuming you want to maintain the current fuel/oort/time requirements for any portals that connect a Creative planet to a Survival planet or vise versa…

For Creative to Creative portals only, could warp blocks be given infinite or extended time?

I also remember we had a 3rd type of conduit on testing (I dunno if it’s still there). Could those be used for Creative to Creative portals only?

1 Like

What about some cool down time?

You can travel between creative and survival only once every 20 minutes

Only exception is warping home :thinking:

3 Likes

If you limit the blink seconds that a portal can be created for on a creative planet, and had all the creative planets orbiting the tier one or two planets, then could this not make a universe wide free portal network impossible?

5 Likes

This is ideal, there is no reason why creative T6 planets need to be a massive distance away from T1 or T2 planets. You can hop around to all creative planets easily, but your exit point to the permanent worlds will always be a starter planet.

4 Likes

I am not in favor of placing time limits on players’ ability to access planets.

5 Likes

Would it be possible to store the survival planet from which a player first entered (for the duration of their current stay) a creative world, and then block them from using creative portals to any other survival world (warp home should still work and be a get-out clause in this case).

1 Like

The only way you could notice the cooldown is trying to get in and out instantly from creative to survival.

I hope there is a better way or it looks like we won’t have a way to connect creative to the live universe :man_shrugging:

1 Like

What am I missing other than this disrupts the economy? If the economic implications are the only issue here, then why not charge a toll at the exit portal from survival into creative that gives the money of any subsequent hopping directly back to the survival world exit portal owner(s)? Is that even a feasible idea?

1 Like

A time restriction that penalizes/prevents a player from accessing their planet is a no-go. What about streamers that are hosting an event, that need to go back and forth? Or anyone else? Sorry, but a cool-down for accessing your own world is a big nope.

There are other ways. As James said, things could also be left as-is …just no freebie portals. I’d rather fuel a portal than have a cool-down restriction.

If you have 4 hours to play, then maybe and this is a big maybe a 20 minute cool down is fine. But if you have an hour to play then all you are doing is wasting a casual players time. They now have to go home which could be halfway across the universe, get to a portal hub and then possibly go right back where they started.

2 Likes