Testing 246: Creative Worlds!

With portals being free, would it be possible to build one into a wall, open it to another portal on the planet, cover it with glass, then build a scene or pixel art on the other end that would show up as a portrait??

Can someone please test this? I feel like it’s my best idea ever :nerd_face:

1 Like

I can see people being upset about their inmersion in the game being ruinned by this tho.

I did miss that you were discussing an active suggestion, sorry. It was something that had brought up in the past as a method of bringing a creative mode to the game and I had apparently skimmed over the earlier post.

Honestly I’d rather it worked that way.

no worries
been there done that :laughing:

won’t pretend I know what is going on here (and I don’t mean the typos) :grin: :wink:
I mean, which part of the current set up you think provide more immersion than suggested changes? Is it about not having portals, or inability to go to creative worlds with existing survival alts?

I did sth like that in EA.
Always wanted one side of portals to be glassed off and be like a painting for visitors. Then have a hub where visitors see the loaded portals on the glass side first and can admire the views (paintings-like), and only after that would go to a corridor on the other side to actually use one of the portals.

But… the portals behind glass don’t even load now. It only happens when you are close to an open entrance. In general, the behavior of portals has been changed for performance reasons, and having a painting-portal doesn’t work that easy.

I don’t mind being called names over this. I want this. I don’t want to argue about it but I suspect I’m not alone, and I’ve said it before anyways.

IMO there should be a clear and hard separation between what amounts to two very different environments. Almost different games.

:man_shrugging:

I did go on test and visit a couple of creative worlds. I don’t spend a lot of time on test and I already accidentally warped to a creative world I had used a location token for, thinking I was warping back to the ‘survival’ servers.

I can understand why the people who want creative mode want it to blend seamlessly with the actual game. I don’t get why anyone wants it the other way around.

TBH I have far more concerns that this will be the death of “the real game” than I ever did with rental/sovereign worlds. I guess it will be interesting to watch.

2 Likes

this

I’m sure there will be creative world owners that limit their presence in the survival, and vice-versa, while there will be those who share time between them evenly.
In any case, feeling of immersion should happen on user level rather than alt level, and unavoidable number of players who only want creative worlds to play with are entitled to do that (cannot be immersed in the game as a whole by force, right?)

Just to be clear I was not targeting anyone in particular I seriously have seen multiple people talking about not liking when the game does something that ruins the immersion :man_shrugging:

And sorry for the typos lol I sometimes type too fast that I don’t pay a lot of attention to my words being correctly written :sweat_smile:

no need to lol
I only saw them when I had the quote inserted in my reply haha - meaning my brain didn’t notice and simply assumed correct spelling after seeing some of the letters. :upside_down_face:

My first (inner, not shared) reaction to creative worlds being connected to the survival universe was like this - that it breaks the game somehow

but then I realized I was being silly :laughing:

Is it possible to track the survival world a player entered from, and only allow exiting the “creative universe” back to that world?

2 Likes

that would be cool… that way you could allow connecting the creative worlds together… but any portal that left creative could be then rerouted to the location where you entered creative from :thinking: This would also solve using the creative worlds as a free local planet hub for the orbited planet :heart:

Edit: hmm guess there might be an issue with mismatched portal sizes? maybe have it act more like a warp?

3 Likes

Realistically any portal other than the one you entered with would have to just be “cloudy” and unusable (would be a huuge refactor to have dynamic destination portals; also what if the sizes dont match, and would generally be weird for you to walk through a portal and then when you look back its a totally different place in the creative world and likely unloaded etc)

woudl always be able to warp back to where you left survival.

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s a good idea to restrict players & force them to go back the way they came in. People should just have to open a temporary warp or go to the sanctum, if that’s the case.

Can you make it so that someone can open a portal to their Creative planet, but remove the ability for it to be fueled or anything from the Creative planet side? You can’t carry a token, so probably not :thinking:

Simplest fix, if a portal is created from Creative to Survival, allow it to function for all of 2~5 minutes before going dormant, unless fuel is provided to the portal on Survival side. Fuel inventory is NOT shared, so one cannot put an “infinite” stack of Oort into the portal on creative side and pull it out on Survival’s side.

This can provide a few benefits; allowing portal networks to fuel their portals from both sides of their portals, letting their portals last longer between refuels; but still not allowing creative portal networks to get around survival portal fueling.

I think this would require an exception being added for a location token or for a mix of survival/creative inventory to carry the token? Not sure tho

I certainly hope not.

That being said, it could be argued that if the “real game” (as if any part of this game was more or less real than the others) were to die because of the inclusion of creative or sovereign worlds, it would be better to take that as a note that the “real game” just isn’t appealing enough instead of an opportunity to start laying blame on other playstyles.

Are they really so different? From what I can see, a user will interact with my builds in survival by visiting them and exploring them. A user will interact with my builds in creative by visiting them and exploring them.

3 Likes

Survival = footfall, shopping stands, portal networks, XP gains, buffs, debuffs, death penalties, no flying…
Creative = access to all items, no ff, no selling/buying items, no portal networks, no XP, can fly, etc.

(I know I don’t need to list this lol)

It will be interesting to see which planet type most people select.

And all of those things are subsystems underpinning the core of the game to provide a different flavour to the same game. In every scenario: You build a thing, and people interact with it. Just think about which bits of this game the devs started building first to get a feel for what the core of the game is.

Unless you believe those things are more important to the game than the worlds and the building? In which case, why does creative even exist? If it’s so different, why isn’t it a completely separate standalone game?

1 Like

Agreed. I anticipate I’ll be roaming around and exploring builds a lot more than I have been lately, once I have my world. When I need a mental break from building I can go talk to people and have fun in survival. Not like I’m switching games.

Presently I have to take unwanted breaks from building to craft and gather, and that makes me far less likely to hang out and explore. Two sides to every coin.

5 Likes