Testing 246: Creative Worlds!

Yes would be a good idea, and this Charakter can only Use on the creative world

Maybe players would standardize portal size for survival-creative worlds that those would be working :smiley:

I had my doubts about such things when one would have said such things a few months back until I read that article from Edge a few weeks ago! It was an article from early 2019 and by the looks of it, it’s Sony who made Boundless possible, sorta. WS was still doing the in-webbrowser thing with their own engine, Sony was very interested in the game and wanted WS to focus more on Boundless and they wanted it on PS4.

To me that means Sony is a big enough reason that the game even exists in it’s current state so to say that WS doesn’t care about the PS4 user base seems quite false to me.

Why do you think that anyway?

3 Likes

Testing 246.1:

Creative Worlds

• Allow assigning forged traits to items in the Knowledge on Creative Worlds. This follows the normal forged requirements around trait exclusions and counts.

Looks like there is a solution without having to manually forge them? I personally do not see any issue forgong them and having a little wait time, considering you can just pull out the best of the best materials to use without having to hunt down road runners and the like hah.

Yes it is there now. I wrote that message before creative worlds were given out and 246 didn’t have yet that menu.

Give menu with possibility to choose forge attributes works well now :slight_smile:
You might not see it as issue but there is valid reasons that items are available without any waiting time; some players don’t like forging, you can’t trade (except recycling via storage) and now items can be dropped without any risk (items don’t float on creative worlds, dropping is working as delete).

Here is how it looks like :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Honestly, the prospect of building prestige, becoming the mayor of an entire planet that other people interract with, and the other features of the game pulled me in.

I personally have never liked creative modes very much. It is way more satisfying to have put it a lot of blood and sweat into building something majestic. I would use creative mode for a few things though:

• To entice my kids and get them off of Minecraft

• Test color combinations that I don’t currently own

• Test different build/chisel methods and strategies (easier with the flying and all).

• Build a road around the entire planet, without interrupting the builds of other people haha. I hope they eventually add some form of auto travel like minecarts from Minecraft. I would like to use that to create a tour of my builds haha.

2 Likes

Just want to point out that the middle two are also possible using the local sandbox! Just to save you a few bucks if that’s all you’d get a creative world for :smiley: .

Only on PC though :wink:

3 Likes

Oh yeah, totally fair :laughing:. I honestly keep forgetting about PS4 players.

Whilst this is true.

Just a quick reminder that the local sandbox stuff is still a prototype.

I want to flag this before your kids (or anyone else) invests considerable time into a sandbox world and the worlds then become corrupted after an update.

(Making sure sandbox worlds can migrate between updates is one of the main reasons that we still call it a prototype. Clearly we can and do migrate worlds between versions, but it becomes a bit more challenging when worlds could be multiple versions out of date. With the live universe we make sure that worlds are always updated.)

15 Likes

Definitely a good call-out. Also why I specified just the middle two points of testing colors or chisel shapes.

Building a road around the world is impossible in local sandbox isn’t it? I did some testing last night flying in a straight line and continuously placing blocks beneath me and I never wrapped around. I’m assuming it just continues to generate extra world as you move?

And yeah, doing build you want to keep forever should definitely be done on a creative world, not local sandbox.

Are you sure you were flying in a straight line?

The sandbox worlds definitely wrap.

2 Likes

Yep. I was looking at the ground with a block in hand so the block placement little square would keep showing up to keep me on course.

I didn’t go far enough then I guess. Since they’re only 1 region big I assumed it was the equivalent size of the average public world region but it’s entirely possible I just didn’t go for long enough. I went until the world struggled to generate around me b/c of how fast the flight is and got bored and stopped.

Bit confused by this. When you first create a flat world the entire world is generated in a few seconds. (You can see it happening in the log). So the world isn’t generated as you explore or fly.

1 Like

I think he means for loading in chunks.

It sometimes struggles to keep up when you’re flying quickly at high altitude on the Creative worlds as well.

1 Like

Yes, I’m probably using the wrong terminology, sorry.

What I’m talking about can be seen around 1:50 and after in this video. In the beginning of the vid I did get the world to wrap.

https://youtu.be/Y97O7YxETOs

What? Why would you choose to do that in creative instead of in survival too? I mean, surely it would be more satisfying for you to test that the ‘proper’ way too, with blood and sweat?

Yes, that was more sarcasm than anything else, and not to be taken seriously. But you do help raise the point that everybody draws their own lines and has their own preferences about what is good-fun-satisfying, and what would be fine to skip if possible.

At the end of the day, all I’m really saying is that creative and survival aren’t so different, and that it’s great they’ll be accessible in a shared universe.

This would be the #1 request I would make for BL. Cities could make such cool cart tracks! It would be especially nice for showing off boundless via massive creative builds in YouTube videos hint @Leahlemoncakes :kissing_heart:

5 Likes

this would be a nice feature… though it probably would need to not trigger foot fall… otherwise :moneybag: :bullettrain_front:

3 Likes

The more and more I see cool features suggested and brought up, and then see footfall as the reason we can’t have it, it makes me dislike the mechanic more and more.

4 Likes