Testing 246: Creative Worlds!

Yeah, its correct via places. I have not done much in the way of reclaims on live so did not know it was the same on live. It does seem like odd behavior though.

This is the greatest suggestion for creative that I’ve seen so far! I’ve been trying to think of a way to make creative worlds make actual logical sense as to why there’s certain planets where you’re just given superpowers and any blocks you want. This solves it perfectly! Add beds into the game and interacting with one takes you to the dream realm. It can be part of the initial tutorial crafting a bed and entering there. Not only does it work extremely well to separate the universes, it gives more visibility to them since that game mode can be introduced so early on. Seriously, James needs to see this. I will not be happy until he does.

1 Like

If specific biomes require specific tier planets, maybe now is a good time than ever to decouple biomes from tier.

1 Like

Is there any way to determine what biomes are on a test creative planet? If not I will just have to use @Clexarews post on biomes. I know I have a tier 4 blast planet

1 Like

Oh thank god! The farming bug is fixed then I presume? I’ll test on PS4 when it’s live!

1 Like

This works as advertised. I gave my daughters account “claim” permissions on my creative world and then set up a new beacon and was able to make it her home beacon.

Annotation 2020-08-01 071859

Then I added her to the blacklist and it booted her from the planet

Annotation 2020-08-01 071918

As expected, trying to go back shows she has no permissions for the planet

Annotation 2020-08-01 071945

Then looking at the options in the sanctum it offers the alternate home

Annotation 2020-08-01 072005

And was able to warp to the alternate home for free as noted.

5 Likes

Definitely not a good time for that. The biomes are specific to tiers because the biomes have varying “difficulty” to navigate. The reason T7 world’s have floating islands and huge spires and giant Swiss cheese caves, is because it’s supposed to be difficult to navigate and require a decent grapple to get around. The reason T1 world’s are mostly flatlands, desserts, and rolling hills, is because those are supposed to be easier to navigate. Decoupling the biomes from the tiers will ruin this system that, in my opinion, makes sense to have.

4 Likes

On a creative planet where you can fly there is no difference between navigating a tier one biome and a tier seven. No need to grapple when you can fly. So for creative planets I do not see any reason why the biomes have to stay locked to a particular tier of planet.

That is different than the public universe where you need starter planets for new players.

4 Likes

I guess in the context of creative world’s I could see splitting the biomes/tiers but as long as that’s strictly for creative and doesn’t change anything for survival I don’t see why you can’t have giant Swiss cheese caves on a T1 creative

1 Like

Yeah I think you should be able to have any biome on any tier in creative too. As @Kal-El said, you can fly.

1 Like

I’m not honestly sure why we have ‘tiers’ for creative worlds, other than as an artifact of the existing system.

Tbh I assumed that’s all it was. Because obviously the atmosphere colors are tied to the world type and world type is connected to the tiers. I figured tiers on creative were just indicating what atmosphere color/ world type you’d be getting without confusion

If the owner lets you, not sure why they wouldn’t but they could opt to have flying and invulnerability off (and can turn it off whenever, even while people are currently flying)

My thought was that some worlds that will have game arenas like dodge bombs may choose to have flying turned off (and possibly invulnerability depending on the game).

2 Likes

There are only the 6 atmosphere types. Also tied to tiers are:

• Atmospheric damage levels
  • Block armor / damage requirements
  • Biomes
  • Plant types
  • Boulder types
  • Crop types
  • Creature levels
  • Ore types
  • Gem types
  • Drop rates

Anyways I’m probably forgetting something. I can’t imagine who would want atmosphere damage (and the attendant skill requirements) on creative and also materials don’t matter really at all. Nor drop rates.

Someone mentioned fancier creatures earlier I think, and of course biomes are a big topic. Until I started typing up this list I forgot about plant/boulder/crop types too.

So in live, there’s a fair amount of stuff tied to the tier. It would be nice to just configure this in creative but that doesn’t seem to be on the table for now and as the discussion has shown a lot of it is really tied together in the current way that worlds are generated.

Tiers 1-6 you can give yourself forged tools for 1-hit damage while building so that’s not a big issue the main ‘complaint’ left is shuffling around skill points.

As long as all of these remain tied to the planet tier, I can see why someone would accept the cons of a higher tier creative world.

I think the devs should consider the consequences of having this option to be used freely.
I suggest the option can be used to turn on or off only if there are no people on the planet (except the owner).
There should also be some kind of warning to notify people when they enter the planet whether the flying and invulnerability modes are turn off or on.

Maybe someone can test what happen if someone dies on creative planet, do they get a debuff from dying on creative planet?

There is a message saying they are on when you first go to a planet with them, not sure if it pops up every time the status changes though.

There is no death penalty on creative, I did test that.

I also hope the devs are planing to add “flight” and “invulnerability” as a permission for individual players in CW, because I simply wouldn’t want all the visitors of my world to fly (invulnerability, I wouldn’t mind). I’d like to restrict flight to the builders as it would be more a tool that a way to travel.

Also, imagine being able to prevent visitors from accessing the give-menu. If I understand Creative Worlds right, when a survival player gets into a CW, their inventory is overriden with a new one. So if you prevent them to access the give-menu, they can’t take a grappel, hence we could make actual platforming challenges.

2 Likes

Their inventory would be the same on all creative worlds I believe so that wouldnt matter if you had give off they’d have it from a different creative world

1 Like

I might’ve missed that :see_no_evil: sorry

:heart:

1 Like

Why would you want to restrict visitors from flying? You only said you wanted to keep it as a tool for builders but didnt say why it shouldn’t be given to visitors.

Here’s why I think you should keep it toggled for visitors:
People on creative are going to build massive and great things. Many of these worlds are going to have awesome terrain to build in and around and with as well. A large portion of this game is at its best, visibly, when you’re at range and height, able to take in all the sites and enjoy the view that was created.

Why stop visitors from being able to appreciate all the work you (or others on your planet) have done, in an easier fashion? I guess if you were to set up a hub with points of interest and people could just portal to the locations, but as someone who would be a visitor… that would take a lot of the magic away from flying over the landscape and just coming upon the amazing builds.

Just a different perspective.