Testing 246: Creative Worlds!

Well if it’s my world, maybe I want visitors to experience a build without flight…

1 Like

Well that’s why I asked :slight_smile:

you only gave a reason of who you wanted it to be fore, not why others shouldn’t have it.

I’d love to create a themed area that you can walk through/explore. Almost like an old Disney ride (Similar to It’s a Small world, or a tunnel of love type vibe). Warping to the planet is disabled, only entrance is one portal. It starts you off at the start and guides you through the player created Adventureland. Of course grapples would ruin the experience a bit but there’s no getting around that on creative. It’s about forced perspective, where you limit how someone can view your build.

2 Likes

Someone mentioned a bit ago that creative worlds could also be used for games like dodgebombs, platforming, and other games that people haven’t made yet. There’s many reasons someone could not want everyone to be able to fly.

Right, thats why I was asking, because I don’t think that way so wanted to understand better. Lots of good reasons, especially for event type planets.

I’d tend to be wary of the ability to fly / fast-travel in such a game anyway, because if my experience in WoW has taught me anything, it’s that it trivializes traversial and you might miss the details artists/builders have put into a world.
Blizzard tends to regret heavily adding flying mounts the way they did it in 2006, so in recent years, they introduced ways to force players to experience their worlds on foot before unlocking flight.
I understand that feeling a lot.
If I make a big temple zone, I want people to walk the pathes, the gardens, the roads. I don’t want them to fly over everything at super-speed.
That’s why in my world, visitors wouldn’t be allowed to fly.

However, I really hope portals leading from a zone within a Creative World to another zone in the same Creative World won’t have any limitations. That would offer SO MANY cool options.

2 Likes

@james just noticed that in my creative test screenshots when I was testing my ability to get killed. We still get the same XP debt message on creative as we do on survival. That message probably should not pop up or maybe be different on creative.

3 Likes

Before the EA servers were shut down I was granted flight permissions to aid in recording what was left of civilization… having experienced so much of the EA servers from the ground only and then suddenly to view everything with fight rather cheapened the experience. Amazing builds from the ground were just meh from the sky… and interiors too bothersome to navigate… not to mention the since of scale was put off.

So I see tuning off flight as a valid desire if your build is intended to be experienced from a particular perspective. Some things are best viewed from a distance… others up close :grin:

13 Likes

This is so true, this is why I hope for more advanced beacon options on live - some builds are best experienced without a grapple or light source epic :ok_hand:

6 Likes

My creative planet (with my home beacon) was locked and the system did give me an alternative zero cost warp location to the planet it had been orbiting.

Now my location on Muntel (the planet the creative was orbiting was a bit random). I was not in or near the capital and over 2000 meters from the beacon I had on Muntel.

I was able to go to another beacon on another planet and make that my home beacon without any issues.

6 Likes

inb4 there’s a new release to testing with more mindblowing goodness.

Told my kids Boundless was getting creative servers and they’re all of a sudden interested in playing now. Looks like at least 1of my rental worlds is going to be creative now.

6 Likes

Maybe you should take a step back and rethink the whole “all portal requires upkeep” situation.

Why do you want portals between creative worlds?
Why do you want portals between creative and survival worlds?

There is nothing of value for a survival world player on a creative world. There is only one single reason to go there - to view an awesome build.

But if “being able to view awesome builds” qualifies for free portals, why isn’t that true on survival worlds? There are awesome builds too that nobody sees because the portal is closed. Why should someone who rents a creative planet be able to show his build off for free and Code Gleam is closed because the portals run out?

Maybe short distance portals should be free for all planets.

7 Likes

Is the second wave of creative testing worlds coming out soon? Is a solution for portals just being worked on first I’m guessing?

I will disagree. You can create arenas and building type of contests on Creative planets, so the only reason to go is really only going to be limited by players creativity in what they can do with the various permissions.

This may not mean the remainder of your rationale about portals is not valid.

3 Likes

makeing / hosting player made games like the: Bomb game and the reaper trail, would save alot of food / gear :smiley:

3 Likes

And think how epic the arena could be. . (not that what player build in survival is not epic)

8 Likes

Is the new update with free warps and home beacon also doing away with portals? If so that’s a little upsetting, though not a deal breaker for me.

I was really looking forward to making a build on my assigned world to match the theme of my creative one. Now it looks like I’ll have to travel to the assigned world from my home world then find some unclaimed land to warp from. Is this correct?

1 Like

I don’t think they’re doing away with portals. They just need a way to connect creative planets to the rest. It’s a little difficult since they don’t operate 100% in the same way & inventories don’t carry over.

1 Like

They have seemed to have solved the “home beacon” issue. I am not sure if the free warps are finalized, though. But, last I heard, there were no plans to remove portals as an option from survival to creative. There might be restrictions from creative to some planets but I haven’t seen a final say.

So you should be able to do what you are talking about from one planet to another.

1 Like

Cool thank you!

I’m also very interested in what you guys were talking about the other day regarding switching biomes and whatnot but don’t want to start piling my thoughts on when so much is yet unknown, however there is one consequence that really shouldn’t be overlooked…

While I’ve accepted that this first iteration of creative worlds won’t be 100% ideal in the way of customization (example below), as you mentioned there will likely be things that will eat up some of the devs’ time. If I reeeally don’t like how something turned out, biome-wise, would I have to delete the world entirely and rent a new one? That could lead to a ton of work with people trying stuff out.

(example) If I want to theme the whole planet to a kind of 8th century England/Norway, I want large field and hill biomes in fairly large bodies of water, grassy mountain ranges rising out of some rivers, rocky mountain ranges elsewhere, and the only intermittent weather effect to be snow. I also don’t want any unrealistic T6 type terrain. I’m fine with having to take a more hands-on terraforming approach to make up for some stuff since this is a very long term project, but if I have entire mountain biomes coming out weird and would have to spend vast amounts of time shaping them, I’d rather just have it regenerate with a slightly different option that may come a lot closer to what I’m comfortable with having to terraform.