Testing 249: Melee Weapons, Shields and Local Universes - continued

The reason for my departure is honestly because they announced one of the two systems I’ve wanted since the game came out (melee weapons) and have yet to release them so I’ve been in a holding pattern until I can make them. I could care less about local universes so long as the live universes exist. Basically when I play and all I can think about is how one of my dreams is just sitting there waiting on the test server… The other thing I wanted was Titans, but I’ve lost hope for them at this point, heck i’ve lost hope for melee weapons and they are on the test server. Its not a lack of things to do its the taste of something so sweet that the current lack of it makes the game taste bland. (people might doubt that I felt so strongly about these, I’ve forged wayfarer totems to act as swords, but they don’t perform well past level 4 enemies since they aren’t actually melee weapons but tools, I’ve put the time in to try and make my own melee weapons in game for hours, but they don’t come close to what is supposed to be coming).

I still check in because this is by far my favorite sandbox game I’ve ever played. If they just said that development was “halted until further notice” then maybe I could convince myself that melee weapons were just a dream, and live without them. As it stands I will never play any “baulder’s gate” or whatever its called because it feels like it drove a stake into the game of theirs that I love. Even if its not true that is how it feels right now.

1 Like

I don’t want to side with the devs here, but I am kinda…sorry.

As a developer, I would jump at the chance if I was a game developer with a small company to work at a larger company, if for anything else, to get some experience with a larger more well-known game and hell some better money, not that you would/could technically make more.

Where I won’t side is the lack of communication…but I suppose depending on your point-of-view no news is not bad news… but it’s also not good news. I love the game and will continue to play it regardless. Titan’s meh… I’d give up Titans for modding being added…

2 Likes

Guys, just ignore this guy. I’ve already explained, ad nauseum, what would help and why players are fleeing the game in droves - why the game is very much dying. He has rose-tinted glasses and is a contrarian, just wanting to argue for the sake of argument.

4 Likes

but never forum satisfaction

1 Like

Same could go for u according to some

5 Likes

Between Dhusk and Rydralain, it might be a question of polar opposites. Though clearly, Dhusk’s last message was uncalled-for and doesn’t help him make his case (and I know a thing or two about saying uncalled-for things).

A lot of what has been discussed recently is, despite what each would like to believe, severely lacking proofs or using incomplete data. There’s a lot of people throwing things as facts, or trying to pass theories and beliefs as facts, but we really don’t know all the answers.
I try to avoid doing that, but I might’ve thrown some myself.

The current situation is really not ok.

3 Likes

For me regardless of the person you either like the game and play it or you don’t. It has it’s issue like many other games and if it’s fun to you play it… if not… move on. Pretty simple. I have had mature and satisfactory information from both parties. Personal attack aside…

Touche, I have owned cd’s of theirs back in the day :rofl: I wanted to quote them, but its definately against CoC, lol

1 Like

It can be our little secret :joy:

1 Like

Twice today I started crafting runs on the wrong skill page.

Ooh I can’t wait until it’s all together.

2 Likes

Hopefully there will be something like a steam workshop, where players can upload a local boundless universe they created, and other players can download the universe.
Does PlayStation have something like the steam workshop?

5 Likes

I hope they give players options to tailor worlds like the sovereign worlds.
I would experiment with generating a lot of different worlds on my own pc if it just took time and not $10 each planet.

4 Likes

Why would you want to download someones universe? If you wanted to look at it you could simply just visit it in yhe MMO like we do now. Its why Ive been confused about local universes.

In some games that you cant visit… Planet Coaster for example you would have to download a coaster or a park to really see it. With Boundless downloading a whole universe Id imagine would be insanely large and the whole point to local universes is to play alone or in single player…

While I am all for local universes it just feels like adding more identity confusion to a game that quite doesnt know what it is. I love it regardless…

Private universes would not be joined to the MMO. They would be like Minecraft servers. It makes sense for someone to be able to download and run their own copy of a private universe just like it makes sense for someone to download and run their own private Minecraft server.

I mean, I wouldn’t do it because I appreciate the MMO aspect of the game, but it does make sense.

4 Likes

This feature(local Universes) I am waiting for. As a miner, I enjoy seeing the new lucent planets…but either I am working or sleeping when they go live. By the time the planet is accessible to me…its nothing but swiss cheese and slim pickins.

This is the main reason why I have not been back Since Late January of this year. For my role, specialty, and enjoyment…all I can do is farm regular gems, metals, and ore. Lucents just are a waste of time for me. It just never works out when the exo is live :frowning:

But talking about downloading universes, how would you connect to someone elses universe? It has to be downloaded/shared, much like the MMO part. In my local universe, I had the following:

Starter world (Small)
three Multiverse worlds (Large)
L1,L2,L3,L4,L5 worlds (Large)
Each type of L6 world (Large)
Each type of L7 Lucent worlds (Large)

15 planets and it took up nearly 57 gigs of disk space! If people want to be a part of the universe through direct IP or hostname (Yes the Local Universes can be published into a master server list for others to join) sharing is key! I’d hate to waste all of my home internet in uploading large worlds to others players, just so they can play.

1 Like

@ardele this was my point about downloading universes. You can just get the IP and visit the other universe … if it was public that is… on top of that 50+ gigs bleh.

Apparently from what I have been messing with in Test is you can technically link multiple local universes together via one public server. That is probably the most interesting part of the local universes that is appealing to me as it would allow creation of the MMO outside of the main servers. That to me is huge as we as players would not have to be reliant on the current MMO servers … the downside to that is what rules/tweaks/config changes and just overall game changes someone can make on a server may not jive with everyone else … and if you can make these changes would they conflict with other servers etc.

Also, on top of all that having played on dozens of MC servers and run several of my own, I don’t trust admins of server most times as I have seen them cheat and give players things etc. Just doesn’t jive well with me.

I for one will play on the MMO servers until they go away (I hope they never do). Boundless is awesome and while I did semi-enjoy the local universe it just felt…different. The feeling of this doesn’t feel right… something is off… and well everyone is dead but me feeling… while a great movie and could possibly be a great game … I didn’t pay for I Am Legend - MMO. Granted I would pay for that if it were a thing… I digress.

4 Likes

have the planets always been as dark as they are now when the sun’s on the other side?

1 Like

I hear you; interesting design for me to find my lonely planets unsettling enough to pretty much equal the benefit of very custom colors and biomes. So I go, do a thing, scram back to the living universe. If I had my cat with me it would all be different.

1 Like

only use i see is storing sovereign world ofline to put it back into the game when you feel like playing
offline is offline for me
but renting world also not for me cause need pay when i dont play

It’s different on each planet so be nice to see that change

1 Like