Testing 249: Melee Weapons, Shields and Local Universes - continued

Yes I have said this before I’ll say it again a bit like the Jedi vs Sith except the complainers arnt evil in like the sith
And I am only comparing u guys to Sith because u guys are more so negative than positive

It’s a massive conflict where neither side has anything measurable to gain, which is EXACTLY the kind of conflict everybody loves to throw in on :tada:

Also, the sith merely embrace strong emotion in their use of the force. Basically anyone anywhere near this debate is a sith if we’re using SW as a reference.

3 Likes

Yes that is bad but still doesn’t mean u have to quit

Also only reason why I compared it is because both are fighting and neither are balanced

This is more than just a simplification. It’s ignoring that there is a set of “complainers” that hijack any thread vaguely related to the futute of the game to spout their over-dramatized opinions about the status of development as if it were some kind of holy truth.

Be angry, talk about being angry, but be honest about what is opinion vs fact, and post in appropriate places.

It’s also important to remember the difference between discussion and toxicity. Posting that you are frustrated about there being no major updates is constructive discussion. Posting a sarcastic image about there not being any updates is incendiary toxicity that can’t not create an argument. (maybe it would be fine in the memes thread, idk)

2 Likes

I’ve also seen quite a number of joke-threads made specifically to poke fun at complainers to say “ha ha look, we baited you with a title saying there’s news in here, lolz, so clever”.

To me, all of it is a package deal, and we gotta deal with it.

Yeah, that’s the funny thing. Everytime “complainers” give facts, it does seem that you don’t really acknowledge them.
Both sides have facts, and neither has reached the absolute truth yet.
Would you say Dhusk is wrong when he says this

My “sarcastic image” saying how long 249 has been in development isn’t an opinion. It is a fact, whether you like it or not. Although, you do have a point : it was incendiary and toxic of me, and for that, I do apologize. But I feel like it’s needed at this stage to point it out clearly, because it is not ok for any update to take so much time.

Somewhere else, I have seen indications that the devs are already working on a new game, and there’s the whole Baldur’s Gate 3 thing too with Larian Guildford. Aren’t these facts? Incomplete facts, I’ll give you that.

Many people have left the game, such as the Portal Seekers. That is a fact, and the weird thing is that if we listen to some, we should feel like “eh, no big deal, people come, people go”.

The devs haven’t replied in this specific thread for months. That is a fact.
Why though? I’ve seen someone say that it’s likely because they can’t. Why? Who’s stopping them? James? Someone higher from Larian?
THAT is up for opinions.
My honest fear is that they actually let the game slowly die in “maintenance mode” while they get busy with other games, and a community-member saying “naaaah that won’t happen” isn’t enough to reassure me, as it is opinion and not fact.

We actually need James to come and clear-up all of the misconceptions about the status of 249, Larian Guildford, the new game, how things are going, in ONE dedicated thread, and it’s insane to me that he hasn’t done that yet.

7 Likes

I mean, what I typed isn’t arguable. It’s a fact. 100%. If you think otherwise, you are objectively wrong. There is literally content on the site RIGHT NOW that isn’t in the game and isn’t even planned.

I was here for most of EA. I was part of all the EA threads about what’s expected for 1.0 in this game. Titans, for example, were expected launch content. Some semblance of “end game” was expected launch content. Even after they launched without these, we supported them and dumped hundreds (if not thousands in some cases) of dollars into the game. Boundless is currently a great “framework” of a game" but that’s it. It’s missing the end game content that comes with any MMO (which, btw, this game was developed as an MMO).

We are owed some communication on the state of the game

8 Likes

No no we arnt
We are owed the things promised to backers like the custom blah blah blah things but not any content they said they would do

You might not be but I and all the EA players who dumped hundreds or thousands of dollars into this game are.

Annnnnd closed…

We’re standing in the middle of a village burning to the ground and Fuzzy and Ryd are arguing that it’s not that hot.

BTW, closing the literal Testing 249 thread is so on point lol. This topic might as well stay closed because 249 isn’t releasing any time soon.

Alright, Fuzzy. Enjoy your 50 players:

Things are fine. Nothing to see here. I’m going to get lunch.

Guys, the above stats don’t speak for PS4 numbers but we should assume that PS4 numbers are likely WAY better, right? I promise. Guys? Guys???

4 Likes

No they really arnt u payed for what it is now other than the backer thing which I support that it is wrong they haven’t added it yet but the communication is not owed

Ok not this again soon as a discussion is turning on to be a bit negative it’s closed I’ve seen it happen before specifically to @Dhusk and it is really annoying

And I am. It arguing that it’s not that hot u get what u pay for at that moment in time granted the things promised to the upgrade not stuff like Titans but like the art book ect are owed to the backers

Did I say there wasn’t less players no like I have said u keep going off incomplete data
Never said they were better I was just saying it undermines ur statements

This topic was automatically opened after 54 minutes.

1 Like

I can personally work to try to acknowledge valid points more when I’m responding to the dishonest parts of posts. There is a reason I didn’t respond to most of the stuff in this recent conversation; most of it has been fair and truthful.

No. I’m going to refrain from further comment here to avoid argument, though. I do not have anything nice to say about him.

I don’t personally agree with the weird “is this an update or not” discussion that happened after your image. It was clear what you meant. I think (hope?) that if it had been brought up in a different way, the conversation wouldn’t have gone that direction.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I was under the impression that the majority of the PS guild left quite a while ago and the recent PS network shutdown is mostly a change of focus for most of those players, not a departure.

Nobody should be saying that the game definitively is or isn’t in maintenance mode. I personally do not believe it is in maintenance mode, I believe the game is being slowly developed in people’s free time, but since there is no way of knowing, I usually don’t say anything about it.
I try, and have been working harder at this lately, to only argue against unverifiable claims and unreasonable demands.

While I agree that we should learn about the specifics of the status of ownership & commitment level of Wonderstruck, Turbulenz, and Larian, I don’t think that learning those statuses alone will cause meaningful long-term changes to the tone of discussion here.

When someone invests in a game like they did with Boundless or a Kickstarter project, they are sort of entitled to the same things as if they were an actual investor. Yes, they are buying into the project, and they expect to get the thing they paid for - but development is weird, and things don’t always turn out. There is always a chance with any investment that the product just never happens, and that’s okay. That’s why it’s called an investment and not a purchase.

Dhusk’s point here is that an investor deserves to know the status of their investment. If someone gives you $1,000 to open up a lemonade stand in exchange for a lifetime supply of lemonade, and then they set up a lemons and sugar business, but never bother to make lemonade, you’re going to ask questions. If you then say you’ll be back with water and a juicer, but don’t come back for 8 months, it’s understandable that your investor would get upset.

I disagree with how some people are expressing that they are upset, especially when they conflate truth and opinion, or demand things that don’t seem particularly useful, but I don’t think it’s fair to discredit their right to increased communication in general.
I usually don’t do well at this, but I’m also usually responding to things I feel are, uh, absolutely insane, so I tend to be pretty abrupt.

3 Likes

If you see my post history circa 2019 - yes two years ago - I was passionately advocating for clear developer communication, timelines, expectations, etc. it hasn’t changed in two years and there has been zero indication that it’s going to change.

There might be a great many reasons, but when small five person teams like the ones behind Dyson Sphere Program can give comprehensive roadmaps, patch notes and patch multiple times a month - it’s very hard to assume that they are simply too busy.

We don’t have all the facts, but we have a pattern of behavior coupled with enough facts to create an incomplete picture. It would be a credible allegation to say the game is “abandoned” or “maintenance only”. I expect that there is some nuance to that, but ultimately the impact is the same.

I wish it wasn’t, it’s a fun game. However they are being poor stewards of it.

7 Likes

Who wants to play how many posts before this descends back into the back and forth of “where’s the update, you don’t deserve an update” :grin:

U know its got bad when even I’ve given up trying to have a constructive discussion…or even a rant.

My guess 8 posts

1 Like

Had to quote this. This is 100% SPOT ON.

2 Likes

Still no fact only inference good one but still inferences

I might be wrong, but what I got from the thread was that indeed, there was only a few people manning the entire network. At the end of the day, I suspect that most people who leave do so because there’s a lack of content to entertain them, and through-out 2020, there hasn’t been a lot of content added. Lots of system update. That’s why I really hope update 250 will be about adding a LOT of content. Blocks, props, creatures, activities, whatever. If not, then I might really give up on Boundless once and for all.

In essence, it’s a bit like maintenance mode. But yeah, I wouldn’t say Boundless IS in maintenance mode. But it looks a lot like it is.

Seeing how often we use things said by James as facts, I would have to disagree. Except if he confirms the fears of the complainers.

1 Like

The problem with these arguments are that they are just enough factual to be somewhat reliable but still rely way to much on inferences and biased opinion not talking straight to the negative people but everyone