Testing 249: Melee Weapons, Shields and Local Universes - continued

yep it looks like it, i need to fiddle with settings in files and see what breaks, poke around and see what i can actually change but if these settings are legit then i get see local universes getting 10-20-30+ character slot servers and servers with more than 100 players(even if stuff breaks). 0 cost portals or portals that are just same fuel cost no matter the size… i found a config with the 10% tax so… i can see that can go poof on some servers…

1 Like

If those values are in the standard boundless folder in assets/archetypes, they’re just for the client. The server has authority so they will need to be configurable for the server too.

1 Like

Most should be configurable on local servers, they use their own copies of the archetype files somewhere in the server directory so those can likely be changed, although I haven’t tried :man_shrugging:.

I can see it being slightly annoying though if you join someone"s server and they’ve changed something because the client would keep mispredicting unless you replace your client files too…

From what I can see the server is already set up so that it has its own assets/archetypes folder under its own directory, which is probably where it reads stuff from (haven’t had time to play around with making changes).

Edit: From my previous attempts a while back at modifying game files, stuff like this did work when changed using the previous local sandbox. If you only changed the assets for the server it would work but the client would simply have a UI mis-match in most cases. Really, the server ought to enforce it more directly and tell the client what it should read on the UI too…

4 Likes

Yeah I guess it’ll depend on how radical your changes are, if you changed movement speed for example it’d likely be a bit painful for an unmodified client!
But playing around with certain things and making a slingbow which fires 100 projectiles should be pretty funny

3 Likes

Think it would be a most excellientio thing to include the expanding sword from School Nurse Files …

… so that we can fight jelly bea … cuttletrunks.

I suppose a nice side-effect would be the added legitimacy for the school I’m building that will be based on the one in the show. :wink:

I managed to create a private universe, add a t0 and t2 standard world, and join the universe. It worked!

3 Likes

I switched to live for awhile, then back to test, and in debug, sandbox my test universe was still there, yay.
Before I entered a world, I tried creating a standard t1 world, that seemed to work ok.
I then tried to create a standard metal t2 world, but then something went badly and yellow messages kept scrolling. I should have written it down, but instead exited the game and restarted hoping that would fix it, but now when I try to start the universe, it starts, briefly displays the universe world list with join and shutdown buttons, the list of 4 worlds, then goes away. I can click start universe over and over, but it only runs for a fraction of a second. A discovery log window opens and scrolls text, a world log std_t0_0 window scrolls a little text, and a world log std_t2_0 window with no text before the universe stops. It does create a crash dump .mdmp file.

I created a new universe. Created a new standard t0 and t2 world. The t0 took about 44 minutes to finish generation. The t2 didn’t start generating until the t0 finished and it took almost 2 hours to finish, but I did play some on the t0 while the t2 was generating so maybe that slowed it down.
After the t2 finished I didn’t see it in the sky , but after awhile I did see it! So I was able to see another planet in the sky. I was able to warp to the t2 planet! And I set up a portal from the t2 back to my home on the t0.

I have successfully added another t0 world.
I have shut down the server, exited the game, started the game anew, started the universe2 server, and returned to the starter t0 world.
When in game on the starter world I usually don’t see any of the other planets in the sky. It might be good to have a way, maybe in the sanctum, to select a planet to see so you can warp to it.

Some questions:
Q: Is it important to shutdown the universe before exiting the game? I may not have with the first universe.
Edit: I think I selected “quit game” while on a local universe planet not thinking that it would exit the game without going to sanctum where I could shut down the server.
Q: If I open debug and shutdown the server while still on a planet, does that do anything bad? I haven’t tried that…

Q: Is it important to let all worlds finish generating before exiting the game?

When i left the game before a world didnt finish generating, it just restarted where it was when i restarted teh univers. So i would say no.

1 Like

Update OP with details of Testing 249.2.

17 Likes

Those paint skills seem nice addition and should keep spray viable option now with sovereign color options :slight_smile:

Just let us forge beacon to protect from this :smiley:

3 Likes

Bouncy feet on a beacon… nice. Enables a bouncy castle competition!!

21 Likes

Ohh :open_mouth: this would be cool for obstacle courses and dungeons lol

7 Likes

Dang it, now I have to think about forging 6 different shields again :joy:
Nice addition tho :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Great stuff!! :smiley: On this…

[/quote]

Yeah, Multiverse Worlds makes me think of them somehow branching across servers or such, being in more than one game universe at a time.

At the risk of confusing it with the building mat, I’d throw out Mosaic Worlds as an alternative. Different types of biomes on a planet from different levels - the natural hues of a T1 lush blending stark tones and landscapes of a T3 Metal then to the alien sunsets and danger of a T6 Toxic - make me think of different tesserae pieces coming together to form a piece of art. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Nice. With the bomb quirk, they’ll finally be viable as a weapon. Bombs and shield build… hell yeah.

2 Likes

For those wanting to know what the updated level progression looks like, I have updated my original Googe Doc to use the new figures. I have also included the current/Live system for comparison:

6 Likes

Great point, didn’t even think of that, even though often one of my issues in using bombs while hunting is that they are too destructive.

2 Likes

Maybe they could be called Progressive worlds? Maybe there isn’t a “best” term for these mixed worlds though, since it’s basically trying to squash something quite comprehensive into a single word.