Testing 249: Melee Weapons, Shields and Local Universes - continued

Console u can just add a hard drive to a larger and faster one. It’s super easy. Plus can just add a external hard drive if still feeling not enough space…

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/ps4/tech-specs/

PS4 Pro
CPU AMD x86-64 AMD 8-core AMD x86-64 AMD 8-core (FX-8350)
GPU AMD Radeon Polaris GPU AMD Radeon Polaris GPU (RX 480)

Eh…not much but close

Yeah, idk if the issue is CPU or GPU, but if the bottleneck is the CPU and they pull off 2 cores for the server, that’s a 25% drop in capability. (Just explaining where my 1/4 number came from)

Just poppin’ in the forums to see what’s up, and all I’m reading is that melee weapons are currently feeling a bit “meh”. I might pop on test server to see for myself, but somehow, I’m already not surprised.

Combat in Boundless has always been a bit “meh” (which is one of the many reasons I always hated going on hunts). Already made a thread one year ago about that, how the way combat was designed meant you take blunt damage most of the time, and it’s not really something you can avoid because it’s all a giant mess when you’re in a hunt.

Creatures don’t really telegraph their attacks.
And that was while having a ranged weapon, which allows the player to kill creatures while at a distance.
So the prospect of having to go in melee, which is far more risky for your health, that never excited me.

Now I’m reading the damages of melee weapons aren’t on par with the ranged weapons ?
And they don’t really feel cool to use because the animations lack in effects, flair, or you don’t get the right feedback from hitting? I mean how long have these been in development? I’d suggest Wonderstruck take example on how Blizzard overhauled WoW’s combat animation in 2016 as this looks to me like a pretty good example of what you want to have in combat.
You gotta have swing trails, particles on hit of blood/sparks, then the screen and/or the enemy has to shake a bit from the hit.
Is this the case with Boundless’ melee weapons?

5 Likes

18 posts were merged into an existing topic: Moved Off Topic Posts

They had an artist and she did lots of work. Much of the artwork is either on the shelf waiting for use or in the pipeline waiting for the other steps that are needed to actually get it in the game. The Artist doesn’t code or implement it unfortunately.

7 Likes

Pretty sure this update is also includes builders update. You going to be able to spray basically every block in the game, minus a few high end blocks. Time for the builders to get put on the side line for once.

8 Likes

Amen to that :heart::pray::heart:

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Moved Off Topic Posts

It’s more blocks in any color you wish to spray them. Something all builders have been asking for. Don’t try to water it down.

3 Likes

I never was ‘wooed’ by going to exo-worlds featuring a new shuffle of existing colors and new weird/crazy/random shapes of terrain while still featuring the same known natural blocks. Would’ve been a bit different if they added crafted blocks to the mix of exoworlds, to produce some old ruins mixed in the crazyness…
If being able to paint existing blocks/props to all the colors of goo you have is what you call ‘content’, well, great! To each is own.

I hope we don’t get testing 250. So release gets that number :slight_smile:

1 Like

10 out of 10 chocolate chips :joy:

2 Likes

Cookies always contain a higher number than you would think. Usually the smaller the cookie the more cal-player-ories… And I hear you are pretty tiny. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Closed momentarily.

Please start a new topic if you would like to discuss MAU or DAU. Thank you.

13 Likes

Since there was previous discussion about damage values, I believe the data on Boundless Information Station is pulled from game files. Here is a comparison of damage between gem sword vs gem slingbow, unforged.

Looks like about 23% more damage on the melee weapon.

Note that melee also has the option of cleaving, which, at max level increases the maximum number of targets hit by each Melee attack by 3 but reduces Damage by 30%.

Also, since Devastating Damage includes a percentage increase, it increases raw damage slightly more with these tools as well.

I’m not making judgements on how this feels right now, just analyzing numbers. It felt good to me at the iron level, but others have disagreed.

about 25% more damage on the melee on the iron tier

8 Likes

Just been on the testing branch, and yeah, kinda like I expected from the feedback I was reading previously.
Though I won’t comment on numbers, that ain’t my thing.

In general, melee combat has always been in need of work, but since tools were not meant to be weapons, that never seemed like an issue… but now, we have melee weapons and they feel the exact same as when killing a creature with a hammer.

I gave myself an iron battle axe and started… I’d say “striking” creatures, but it really feels more like lightly “bonking” them, the same way I’d knock on a block with a totem.
The animation when I strike air and when I actually hit an enemy or a block is the same.

I might be wrong (if someone can confirm that), but I think that if I kill a wildstock as it charges me, I won’t even have a sound to know I’ve been hit, it just lighly shoves me away.
Everytime I’m hit, I think my character should be making some kind of sound to indicate pain.

As for the shield, not sure what the half-circle bar that appears when I use it is. Is it a copy of my stamina bar? That doesn’t make sense… Maybe it’s how much I can repell before I can’t anymore? I don’t know… Still, same problem as the weapons and all, when I tank a hit, there’s sound validation, there’s a quick white special effect, but no animation from the shield. A quick ‘nudge’ animation from the shield should definitely be added, IMO.

Basically, all of this feels a bit like an early prototype for melee combat.
I see something new and interesting with shields, however, and definitely, I would see myself using them in a PvE scenario, would even find it funny to dual-wield shields and run around screaming “I’m a tank I’m a tank I’m a tank” if I could use both at the same time (sadly, I can’t).

3 Likes

Totally agree.
Melee weapons are just another melee tool so To say… Just hits harder.

There should be charging ability Or something.

Only thing i was excited was Shields cause i knew they would go the easy way with melee ones and weapons would Feel like you are hitting with a tool.

If this is honestly the best there is i bet only whiteknights gonna be thrilled.

This is why i quit the game for good.

Theres just so cool things but everything always lacks polishing or delivering.

5 Likes