Testing 249: Melee Weapons, Shields and Local Universes - continued

swords on the test server are very meh… I was disappointed by how they feel sort of less powerful than slingbows.

So they are going to be a Novelty, I guess I get to remain mostly useless durring hunts then.

Maybe you can convince them to rename one a pavise :rofl:

Probably too late for a new art/model though …

I have only seen from videos how those work and it felt same. I think it was for me because animation seem “boring” not flashy like swing trails effects… I think it is that swing is more like knocking on door.

1 Like

Yay. Wait 6mths then get meh. How very reassuring :unamused:

3 Likes

Its not the look but the fact that you do almost no damage with melee weapons it feels like my hammers do more damage than them

When I was playing single player, working with iron slingbow and sword, I definitely only used the slingbow for ranged enemies because the sword was doing enough damage that getting in close was worth it.

I don’t know how this compares with gem or forged weapons, though. I didn’t spend much time playing with cheated gem stuff, and I didn’t feel like messing with forging there.

Ill hop back on test in a little bit to check if anything has changed and forge some tools, but i expect unforged tools to be comparable to other un forged tools of the same type.

this was not the case with metal tools on the starter planet i appeared on.

I wish we could host local universes on ps4 but just with a warning saying it’ll take a long time.

Don’t worry, I’m used to that but still. Recently been taking a break, I’ll come back soon around the time when the update releases

1 Like

i ‘think’ the issue was ps4 couldn’t host a server? or some thing…someone with more knowledge can elaborate in pm.

edit: what i meant by couldn’t is that i thought sony didn’t allow the ps4 to be a host for a server.

Yeah ps4 can’t host the server.

Well, well, You finally gave up the grindly skill point.
But when release?

I dont know much about console and their internal disk space. Hosting a local universe will use a lot of it.

Considering that people already say that the PS4 has inferior graphics, just imagine if the graphics had to get turned down even more to accommodate for a server. You would lose at least 1/4 of the CPU power, based on what I’ve read.

Ok, I didn’t know that. Thanks for telling because I am not that technical.

Console u can just add a hard drive to a larger and faster one. It’s super easy. Plus can just add a external hard drive if still feeling not enough space…

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/ps4/tech-specs/

PS4 Pro
CPU AMD x86-64 AMD 8-core AMD x86-64 AMD 8-core (FX-8350)
GPU AMD Radeon Polaris GPU AMD Radeon Polaris GPU (RX 480)

Eh…not much but close

Yeah, idk if the issue is CPU or GPU, but if the bottleneck is the CPU and they pull off 2 cores for the server, that’s a 25% drop in capability. (Just explaining where my 1/4 number came from)

Just poppin’ in the forums to see what’s up, and all I’m reading is that melee weapons are currently feeling a bit “meh”. I might pop on test server to see for myself, but somehow, I’m already not surprised.

Combat in Boundless has always been a bit “meh” (which is one of the many reasons I always hated going on hunts). Already made a thread one year ago about that, how the way combat was designed meant you take blunt damage most of the time, and it’s not really something you can avoid because it’s all a giant mess when you’re in a hunt.

Creatures don’t really telegraph their attacks.
And that was while having a ranged weapon, which allows the player to kill creatures while at a distance.
So the prospect of having to go in melee, which is far more risky for your health, that never excited me.

Now I’m reading the damages of melee weapons aren’t on par with the ranged weapons ?
And they don’t really feel cool to use because the animations lack in effects, flair, or you don’t get the right feedback from hitting? I mean how long have these been in development? I’d suggest Wonderstruck take example on how Blizzard overhauled WoW’s combat animation in 2016 as this looks to me like a pretty good example of what you want to have in combat.
You gotta have swing trails, particles on hit of blood/sparks, then the screen and/or the enemy has to shake a bit from the hit.
Is this the case with Boundless’ melee weapons?

5 Likes

18 posts were merged into an existing topic: Moved Off Topic Posts