Testing 249: Melee Weapons, Shields and Local Universes - continued

I think the point was more that if any of the positive aspects of Boundless (and there are some great ones) was a big draw, it would be reasonable to expect we’d have more people playing than we do because they’d all be drawn in by that/those feature(s).

Also, it’s hardly the first MMO to offer unique property. Even Ultima Online had that when they brought in custom housing about 20 years ago.

That whole “point” is just a disguised attack on the game, and not actually a real talking point. When the first person said thst something was a “big” draw, they were talking relatively, among the game’s features, not across all games of all time. Switching the intent of the words is a deliberate attack on civil discussion.

Everyone here, Dhusk included, has made a lot of other good positive and negative points that can be discussed civilly. Let’s drop this one.

Seriously, @Dhusk and @Rydralain just need to get together in a sauna Danganronpa style for an entire day. Maybe they’ll become bros at the end.

2 Likes

Dhusk said some great stuff up there, and I’m happy to ignore that one thing - I definitely did in my other reply. It keeps coming up though and it’s just a discussion on if Bounless is Massive enough to actually be an MMO, and is that even on topic :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Oh really? So Dhusk sent you a PM to tell you that’s what it was? Otherwise I can’t see how your assessment of any points they’ve made are any more accurate than mine, and certainly not to the level that your opinion/interpretation overrides mine. I’d call that mindset an attack on civil discussion too. It’s all a matter of perspective, which is why I try to be mindful to start my non-factual points with “I think…”.

I would agree though, it’s gotten way off topic and should be dropped.

1 Like

I wonder if this topic will ever actually be about the actual update again, rather than if or when it will or won’t happen.

@Rydralain 2020 accounts are now up. Nothing interesting in them I’m afraid

3 Likes

This update isn’t coming out any time soon.

2 Likes

Big selling point for me was the launch day trailer. What I didn’t know was that they used character models and footage from EA, rather than the new stuff.
I even linked it in a previous post to reiterate the point.
Interestingly, the video of the trailer that I linked got taken down within a couple of days of my post. :thinking:

1 Like

Another once a month check in. Still hasn’t made any known progress on the crippling issue that is supposedly stopping the patch being deployed.

This game was at one point the best thing on the horizon to me. At this point it’s beyond evident it will never ever be what it was sold and marketed as. If anything it will be this shell of what was expected and maybe modding, if that even ever happens as many of us dreamed of long ago, will give it a second chance at life, but at this point I find it beyond doubtful. I’ve quit my gleam club subs, and won’t be renewing my planet subs at this point. There’s clearly less and less reason to bother even checking in on any updates, unfortunately.

2 Likes

Not likely on the balance of probability, but you never know.

If it isn’t coming or maybe it is next week it would still mean that 70% of this thread it utterly irrelevant :rofl:

Edit: one thing I would say is if you take a few weeks out from playing there’s very little go lure you back into it

Sorry to see you go and sorry you have lost hope. This probably could have been posted in a separate thread.

That being said, I guess when I got the game I got more than what I expected and feel I got what I was sold … but I also started in Jan of this year. I can see if you were a backer though and bought it as it was sold then. I also see how the website could be misleading currently but I only saw what was on Steam.

The game is still a great game with or without Titans…

Looks like 2 fewer average employees and they unsurprisingly dropped their office lease at the end of Feb 2020, but yeah basically nothing interesting. for the 2019/2020 accounts. Maybe next year.

Fixed that for you

1 Like

Repeated patterns suggest a VERY strong possibility that 249 isn’t coming out any time soon. FTFY

2 Likes

It would be amusing to pull up the major update history timestamps and run it through something like this to attempt to predict future update dates.
X axis as update number, y axis as delay since last major update, run it on “EXPONENTIAL USING CURVE FITTING” and see how close it fits

We might have deviated from the previous pattern by now, though. I’m not sure. I can’t remember where the update spreadsheet I had found was.

It has been the longest in the history of the game between releases. Late 2015 there was about a 4 month gap between releases. Looks like when they switched the game over to using C++.

Ignoring that, releases are a max of 1-2 months apart without any real deviation. Usually 1 release to testing and then the following release to promote that to live. It has been pushing 6 months since a release.

If you would like to see that data for yourself…

(cannot upload CSVs, too lazy to upload to third party service)

#!/bin/bash

output_file=releases.csv

echo "Getting releases..."
echo "" > $output_file
for i in {0..10}; do
    topic_count=$(curl -sl https://forum.playboundless.com/c/news/releases/30.json?page=${i} | jq ".topic_list.topics | length")

    if [[ $topic_count -eq 0 ]]; then
        break
    fi

    curl -sl https://forum.playboundless.com/c/news/releases/30.json?page=${i} | jq ".topic_list.topics[] | [.created_at, .slug] | join(\", \")" | sed 's/"//g' >> $output_file
done

echo "Sorting releases..."
cat $output_file  | grep . | sort > $output_file.tmp
mv $output_file.tmp $output_file
1 Like

I don’t have a linux machine I can run that on. I mean, that I own… I could run it on work QA server, but that’s probably a little unprofessional! I can try to get jq working on Windows, but not sure about it.

Looks like the output from that would be a good first step, though I would want to manually edit out the minor holiday releases (no new features, just a couple decorations or consumables isn’t a major update, imo).

You should never even try to use command line on Windows. Just use WSL.

1 Like

Eh, it was worth trying.

That looks like it requires installing a specific version of Windows and a couple other hoops. Just installing jq would be less invasive. I’ll stick to git bash for stuff like React builds and test my bash scripts on remote servers since I only do Linux for work.

Ty for the link though, I’ll bookmark it in case I end up needing it some time. I’ll probably be doing more scripting if my boss keeps letting me automate more of my job.

You can ignore the “Simplified install” stuff. That is just something that is coming for an upcoming version of Windows 10/11.

WSL 2 (the VM based version of WSL that is significantly faster/more performant) only requires Windows 10 1909 (the update that came out ~Fall 2019). Even if you do not have that, if you have Windows (like 16xx or new or something crazy old) you can use WSL 1.

If you do any kind of dev on Windows, you need to use WSL. Like seriously. Git bash, Cygwin, MSYS2, etc. are all a complete PITA to use compared to WSL. It is also crazy faster. WSL 2 is near native Linux performance.