Testing 29 - Report issues here

sorry for taking so long had a prob

i think i got something :open_mouth:

i noticed when i boot my game up i get “rock breaker achieved” the it crashes

If you go to the wrap into water you start with no breath.

If you die in the Sanctuary, you cannot respawn.

When attempting to enter beta mode from: Steam—>properties---->beta environment, and Steam won’t let the game open in that mode. There’s no apparent reason why. Is there a setting I should double check and/or is there an alternative way I can access the tutorial/other features of this update? Thanks.

To access the testing version you need to:

1. Exit the game
  2. Open Steam and find Boundless in your Library
  3. Right Click on Boundless and select Properties
  4. Go to the Beta tab
  5. Select Testing from the drop down list
  6. Wait for the update and launch the game
  7. Sometimes you need to relaunch Steam if the installer gets stuck

Let us know if this works for you.

How did you die in the sanctuary?

I’ve added that to our bug database. You can press E when you are looking at the portal to move the warp to another location.

I died by falling in the sanctuary after escaping a mob of spitters.

How did you do this actually? You should only be able to go back to the Sanctum if you die, log out and back in or if you use the options in the menu.

Are you able to use the warp to the right of the Sanctum?

I had 100 HP after fighting and used warp to sanctuary button. Then I ran around the sanctuary looking around and fell between the main room and the hall way.

Thanks for the info. That has cleared that up for us. Can you use the warp on the right to get out from the Sanctum?

I had to force quit Boundless since the respawn button did not work. Once I returned to the game I was in the sanctuary and the open portal was the last place on the world. So I was not stuck forever.

1 Like

Ah! that’s not ideal but at least you are not stuck forever. Some players are reporting that they are stuck, but we need as much information from the players as we can get to figure out why this is happening.

Got it. I shall do my best. Keep up the good work.

2 Likes

Even with the new testing update i cant get in lol

aha i’m royalty screwed xD

nvm i had a way to fix it just i don’t have any warp locations

it was my idea first too

but no thats realy a locationing problem. the spitter shoots on the location where you stand 2 second ago and hits you. The server doesnt recognize correctly where you are (true in test and (more anoying in) “stable” build)

Just noticed these when I logged in and traveled to the city …

Seems to be happening randomly …

1 Like

I’ve been playing for a week and all was fine but the game is unplayable since yesterday due to serious lags. At the top of the screen, it keeps showing “slow network” with over 500ms latency. I play in US east server and when i use the ping test application from another post, all the pings seems good with under 200ms latency. Is this an issue that will be resolve in the next few days or i’m i the only one lagging.

Are you playing on the live or testing branch? This thread is meant just for the testing branch for the next release candidate.

Is it possible that you have gone through a warp to another planet which is not located in US East?

If you can let us know which server you are on, we may be able to help further.

Actually, it’s not that the server doesn’t recognize where you are, it’s that from the server’s perspective that IS where you are.

Client side prediction, means that when your latency is 500ms, you are predicting 500ms ‘into the future’ of what is actually happening on the server, and when you see other entities and players, you are interpolating where they ‘were’ 500ms into the past of the server, meaning compared to other creatures/players you are 1000ms in the future.

When you walk forwards, turn right, then place a block, all of those inputs are sent to the server, and from ‘your’ perspective, applied server side 500ms in the future at which point (assuming you predicted correctly) your player (server-side) walks fowards, turns right, and places a block.

When you shoot a projectile, there’s various things we do to try and smooth things out. At first, the projectile is 100% predicted by the client, and (in this case of 500ms latency) is finally confirmed client-side 1000ms later, from which point on the client continues to predict, but gradually slows down the passage of time for the projectile to allow the 500ms-in-the-past interpolation of where the projectile actually is server side to ‘catch up’. You can see this when your latency is very high like 500ms as being that your projectile moves ‘too slowly’ for a while, and gradually speeds up until moving at full speed. This means that if you shoot an explosive projectile off into the distance, by the time you ‘see’ the projectile hit the ground, it is now a projectile driven entirely by interpolation of server-side data 500ms in the past, and is so in-sync with all other server-side actions like destruction of terrain, knock-back of creatures, and everything ‘feels’ right. However, with a high latency, if you shoot a wall infront of your face, you’ll see the projectile hit the wall, and then stay on the spot, not moving, until finally you get to the point of having data from the server that confirms the actions and applies deltas to the world for the destruction.

In the case of shooting creatures, we take into account server-side this interpolation curve of the client from his prediction, to actual server-side motion and keep histories up to 1 second in the past of where all entities ‘were’ so that when resolving interactions between the projectile and creatures, we use the positions/rotations that the creatures had that matches what that particular client would have seen on his screen with interpolation of server-side data, and the more complex motion of his projectile.

What that means, is that when you see your projectile hit a creature on your screen, everything should work out, and that creature should be hit by your projectile even though server-side the projectile totally missed the creature, and from another players point of view that is even further in the past of the server due to that client’s latency and interpolation, missed the creature even more. This looks ‘good’ from the perspective of the person who shot the projectile, but ‘bad’ from the servers point of view, and even worse from the point of view of a different client. However, in this case, this is the best solution since generally speaking, it is the client who is watching what happens to his projectile. And yes, like with any other multiplayer shooter game for instance, you can shoot people who try to dodge your projectile (assuming we had PvP) even if they had since gone behind a wall, because from the perspective of the client who ‘shot’ the projectile, they were not yet behind that wall.

Now, the problem we currently have, is that this only works for when a client shoots a projectile at creatures, but when a creature shoots a projectile at a client, everything is currrently 100% server-side, which means the creatures shoot you if ‘they’ see that they shot you, even though client side you had just dodged it, or gone behind a wall before it hit you, and the worse your latency is, the worse the “problem” becomes for that client.

We havn’t yet got a solution for this, as it is not simply a case of doing the same rolling back of state and doing the projectile hit against clients based on individual client states of the world as it is not consistent. Eg, a creature shoots an explosive projectile and it hits the ground… it can’t deal any damage to the ground or explode for up to 500ms, because in that 500ms a client may from his-perspective have failed to dodge the projectile and should have been hit… bad. We could… deal damage to the terrain straight away, but, if during the movement of the projectile it thinks it hit a client, wait 500ms before dealing damage to the client just in-case the client moves out of the way from his future-predictive-perspective. but that means that the higher your latency is, the easier and easier it becomes for you to simply dodge projectiles from creatures and the game is unbalanced worse, it would also make it impossible for creatures to lead-shoot attacks against clients as the result of the interaction is based on 500ms of the state that the server simply cannot have knowledge about, because the client himself hasn’t even decided, nevermind set it to the server yet.

There is no perfect solution to any of this, and it is why any twitch shooter game like say, counter-strike, only works well with sub 100ms and ideally ~30ms latencies as these issues are far, far smaller.

3 Likes