The current problem with the money system

Sell items people want/need/use a lot problem solved. Coin for everyone!

Equality ≠ Fairness. You want everyone to get equal sum of money (more or less equal, the 50/50 shenanigans are not hiding this). But the fair way is the current way, the ones who attracts most players to their plots (by any means) get the biggest payout, and that is fair.

I agree about selling plots, if it’s allowed to be done easy by mechanics it will be downhill to land speculation.

Concept of greed is not tied to game, or mechanics, but to people. People are greedy. No game mechanics or lack of them will change that.

Because people always want more, and most of them… us… want to have more than others, it’s in our nature. Be it more in-game money, RL money, prestige points, be it damage numbers (why do you think creatures HP and your damage grow in most games exponentially?), be it virtually anything, the size of the pool, the inches of TV, inches of… you know what. Changing money trade into item trade would only make people want more items instead of more money, greed would not go away.

True, but the community, and the Devs, want to promote goodness, community, being nice and helpful. As negative as I am on the forums, it’s only words, and expressing my negative emotions on how I feel about the mechanics and grind of the game.

In the actual game itself, I help people, I sell low and try to request as high as I can afford, I give freely when people ask, I help in chat when people ask questions about the game, and so on.

I’m generally a nice and helpful person. I just also complain alot and very pessimistic view point.

Anways, the community says they want people to be helpful, to be kind, to promote good and being a nice community. While at the same time, in the game they sell high, buy low, and people complaining about that they just dismiss or say ‘it’s part of the game. Nothing is wrong, get better’.

I just put myself into the shoes of other people, to see the game through their eyes. And while yes, my own feelings and emotions make that view bias, that view does help a lot. Such as the Gem and Power grind wall. The only people that don’t care about it, or have no issue with it, are those that actually climbed it, usually by getting gem tools for free from friends, or making lots of money in questionable ways and buying their way through the grind and not actually doing the grind itself.

But I can picture for myself a new player wanting to get through that grind, and how horribly it is designed. But the community just pushes that view point away. I mean seriously, go look at the thread about it, some of the people are complaining and offering suggestions, but usually it’s the same few people. Meanwhile there are a whole bunch of other people, just saying it’s fine, that they need to play better, that they should just buy the stuff instead, and so on.

Even me and you, going back and forth in most threads. I give my view point, complain about the issues I have, give suggestions I feel are fair and to me balance. And then you dismiss the issue, say my suggestion won’t work, and some of the times might agree with some statements or ideas, but generally just try to brush me off as being wrong, and playing the game the wrong way.

I just wish it wasn’t so black and white. That people say the community wants to do good and be good and helpful. But when you actually look at what goes on in the game, and read the forum threads, very rarely are the people actually supportive in most situations, especially in any kinda debate about new or existing systems.

And I’ll admit even I myself have let my emotions about a topic get to me and against someone even tho I know I am wrong. But generally I catch myself before that point and just stop responding in that thread. But most of the community seems to do negative things, minor things people over look but when you sit down and actually look at it, are very hypocritical.

I’m an Idealist, a visionary, and hopeful person. I want the game to do better, but I see a bunch of issues, and some of those issues influnce people in negative ways. In a community all about sharing and being kind and helpful, money is not a good system to have in the game.

And while yes, my trading for items isn’t a perfect solution, but there needs to be a system that mostly works, without envoking a lot of greed from the majority of players and having greed be the basic core for the entire economy of the game.

1 Like

I don’t agree with a majority of the comments here and I may be outspoken, but if you all have so much money why do I go around to tons of stores and everyone is short changing people for resources that they are to lazy to go get themselves. If you are offering less then 10 for a fibrous leaf and asking people to drop off all there beast drops for 1 a piece you are the ones I am pointing this at. There are very few people who give you a fair price on a basket and then they are selling that item in there shop for 10x the price they are offering to buy it from you for. That’s not inflation that called being a bad merchant. If people in history behaved in this manner the world we currently live in wouldn’t exist.

3 Likes

I agree to some extent, but the problem I see for the new players, and not just me, but others is that you go into a shop looking for tools that you can’t make and see a gold slingbow for 1,000c. Or a Iron Fist for 5,000c. Another store has a gold hammer for 1,500 coin. Those are way out of my price range. Highway robbery is how I see it; especially when I read here of getting a 1k coin a day for foot traffic. You can’t be hard up for coin if you are getting that much a day. Even if it is just 300 a day that is more than I am getting at 20 coins in three days. Having just around 30 hours of play, level 19, I need my coins for warp travel, so can’t afford to pay that kind of price when I’d like to have that iron fist. But I do have a lot of rock that I could make into stone if someone needs them. I’m saving up different colors of rock while I decide what colors I want. Going through wood like crazy in my furnaces as I smelt copper to make tools.
So, how do we, or rather, the developers, make it fair? And not just the footfall, where those who live near a hub can get a lot of traffic and those who live far away won’t get any. I will make a bet that most new players don’t know about footfall. I didn’t. I didn’t know that I would get coins from players walking past my base. If I had, would I have built closer to a hub city? Maybe, every little bit helps when you start out. But to be honest, I wouldn’t want to live that close. I’m a country girl who loves to live out in the country, have my hills around me, not rows and rows of houses or tall buildings.
Can I build a small base, put down a couple plots, a beacon and get coins that way to help me get money to buy the tools I need until I can make them on my own?

1 Like

You can just play the game. Really. Need money? Just get them, their laying on ground Make 26,000 coins p/h as a NEW PLAYER?! - New Video

2 Likes

Footfall money was never intentioned to buy u some tools u should be able to make on ur own. Especially not there to promote this specific laziness. Footfall money is also not ur sole single income source and u shouldnt treat it like that.
Its only an incentive for greater building projects and for portals hubs to pay their portals. Robbery is different from trade in that a purchase needs always ur consent to proceed.

Like i said: people are lazy and when u dont have a portal u dont get people but u dont need footfall, too, because u dont have portals to maintain. Stop claiming that footfall money is the only thing that makes u progress.

@Jirodyne: u dont bring out the goodness of people by restricting them to ur personal advantage. If u have some good to offer people will come. If not they stay away. See offering and purchase proposals as a form of expression of free speech. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and can set prices at their shops according to their conscience and good will. It is not ur right to interfere with that and it wouldnt make a better game if u were able to

2 Likes

:facepunch::+1:

2 Likes

I guess I am totally confused then. I ready posts of people complaining of losing their footfall money and they have shops and losing 1k coin a day. Why do they need to get the footfall money then? Is it greed? portal costs I can see, but does it cost that much that they need 1k coins a day?
I’m not counting on it for food, I have over 400 yams and around 200 starberries although I have used the coins I earned for meat. I bought a silver slingbow for 400c so now I can get some meat on my own. I do want to get some coins for tools but I’m definitely not looking at footfall for that, it can be a help though. I didn’t even know about it until two or three days ago and yes, I will admit that I like the thought of getting some, but I’m not going to count on it. As for building a base outside a city, partly a joke, very slight idea, but I really don’t have the time, I’d rather be out mining and getting the items needed to craft the tools I can use.
I’m slow at gathering supplies, not great at fighting the critters and so see it as a means to help me get started. I have almost 50 hours in and I have finally been able to make a extractor and a workbench. Like I say, I’m slow in moving around. I don’t see the need to rush in one aspect but I do want to be able to have decent tools. I don’t think that the measly 200+ coins I have gotten from footfall is going to buy me much in tools. And I have been making copper ones. Went through two iron hammers my son gave me and six copper hammers and four copper shovels last night that I made, not bought while mining. Going to have to go and make more for tonight.

And I do think it is robbery when a person asks 5,000 coins for a item and on another planet they ask only 1,000c for the same item. Then watch a video and see a player get that same item on another planet for 500c. It falls under the adage of buyer beware, I don’t buy unless I have looked around.
If you and others want to see me as lazy, that is your prerogative, you can ask me if I care what you think in that aspect and the answer is nope. At 63 years of age I quit letting what people think of me bother me anymore in some areas. Mean spirited, hateful, vicious, yes I would hate for people to see me that way.
Enough said. I’m off to make some tools and cut down trees. I need more fuel.

1 Like

hub owner pay u 100 c for every oort stone. 1 oort stone can fuel ur portal to besevrona how much? a handful of seconds?

If u make a purchase basket or shop stand is it then ur duty to travel every ■■■■■■■ shop in the land to adjust ur price to theirs? u are ridiculous

Vote with your wallet then, nobody force you to buy anything, it’s just your free will. You really don’t need to buy anything ever in this game, you can gather everything by yourself :slight_smile: Also what @Shadesmar wrote :wink:

1 Like

Portal hubs existed before full release and the costs to run them were increased before early access started. Just letting you know that the devs have thought about them!

OK, I know that thing at least :slight_smile: I bought game 20 Nov, 2014, and I played it very sporadically.

But what I want to know, was the hubs endorsed/envisioned before players in early access started to build them? I know portals were always part of the game, it’s one of fundaments. But were the hubs also fundaments? Was a portal networks that span over whole universe a part of the original game vision? The network that allow you to travel in mere minutes (if not seconds), from one planet to any other a part of plan? A network that makes warping almost obsolete, was it part of the vision? Also were coins and warp fees introduced after or before portal hubs were built by Early Access people in the Early Access period? I didn’t followed patch notes in EA very much, and did not visit forums at all.

Because I believe that warp fees was supposed to be main money sink. But since you need not to use warps coin economy is what we have now. But if hubs, and networks almost making warps obsolete was planned by devs before… then I’m not sure why the hell there are no money sinks in the game, because I don’t believe tax is enough to balance it.

1 Like

OH ok I see now. You literally meant the creators of the game and not devs. My bad! :sweat_smile:

Me and my girlfriend have no use for money. We have a shop set up where we sell all the things people sell for overpriced, and every dime we get goes right into request baskets to help supplement what we make. For people like us, money has no use other then to help others.

I believe portal hubs was their plan. Their earliest trailers showed hubs of players shopping and running through portals and even little portal hubs. Here is a trailer from a while back showing such. The important part is at 0:51

u can build portals in this game… but who couldve imagined a whole hub of them >.< lol

1 Like

Anyone with 1/2 a lick of imagination.

2 Likes

Definitely some creative people around!

If I had all the resources that the Portal Seeker’s do, I would have a 3 portal hubs on every world. One for shops, one for player homes, and one for cities. Each of them linked together, and to the central main HQ hub.