The current problem with the money system

Money isn’t pointless tho. To play the way the game advertises, to have total freedom and play how YOU want to play, you need money to make up for short comings. If your just a hunter, not a gatherer or crafter, you need money to buy your weapons.

If your a gatherer but not crafter, you need to buy your tools.

If your a crafter, but not a gatherer, you need to buy the resources to craft.

If your a builder, but not a gatherer or crafter, you need to buy the blocks you want to use.

Money is tied to every single playstyle, unless you have 3+ alts and are totally self seficient, gathering, mining, hunting, and crafting everything yourself.

But it doesn’t control player actions. And it doesn’t say that 40 bark is going to get anything you want.

I sold sap and made enough for 2 advanced power coils in one day. There is clearly access, no game changes needed.

1 Like

I honestly don’t believe you.

Having went around just yesterday trying to sell a bunch of resources I collected, I don’t believe that you were able to farm enough Sap, to be sold at the common price of 5c-10c, to get a 2 items costing about 13-15k each.

Lets say you found someone buying sap at 10c, and 2 adv coil at 13k each. You’d need 2600 Sap. Sap isn’t a constant drop, you can be farming trees for hours and barely get a few hundred sap. Not to mention how time consuming it is to cut down trees, even if you’re one hitting them. You’d have to deforest an entire region, yourself, to get that much sap, and find people willing to dump that much total money into buying sap.

Something a casual player, or someone with very little time to play the game, would be able to do.

I think it could be possible, I managed close to 500 in an hour maybe, 2 max, early on when I came upon a big fortress in middle of nowhere with req basket buying at 15 each.

Lack of time to play is no fault of the game or the developers. Other games exist that require less time. If you can’t enjoy a game because you feel you can’t invest the time, well…

Lots of things in life require time.

EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOUR POSTS essentially boils down to “it’s not fair!”

Try actually playing the game instead of complaining on these forums every 5 minutes. You clearly have time to post so much, so use that time to play, and you might get some where.

2 Likes

i make like 200 sap in 5 min… u dont have to farm for hours to get 10k sap >.<
Maybe it could be useful to bring an axe or even better a skilled lumberjack with an axe when u want to cut down a tree. u can also try with ur totem. Total freedom.

edit: k, took me 5 min to only come up with like 115 sap… but my lumberjack is low lvl :stuck_out_tongue: theres much room to improve on this. plus i blame rng

Is sap drop better on higher lvl worlds?

1 Like

I believe it does. You can check the resource tab on worlds in game to see if they are. I wouldn’t be surprised if they are higher on a Tier 5 world compared to a Tier 3 or 4.

1 Like

I’ve been here since launch, but thanks for the summary. It’s probably really useful for people who weren’t or haven’t thought it through that much.

That being said, I feel like I didn’t get across either of the points I was trying to make.

1: The player who has their build in the advantageous spot is generating coin by doing literally nothing. Sure, they might be running a shop that brings people in, but if they wanted to run a shop as a way of making money they’d be running a shop regardless of footfall.

2: Two players can put in equal amount of effort building an attraction or running a shop, but the person who happens to have it in an advantageous place has some steady coin generation while doing absolutely nothing that the other player also didn’t do.

I am positive that adding ‘magic’ money to the game almost entirely irrespective of effort put in is a bad thing for the economy. MMO style games typically add in ways for late-starters to somewhat catch up with the earlier starters (because if you start late and see that you’ll never catch up, you’ll probably not stick with the game). The current implementation of footfall does the opposite, and allows early starters to more easily entrench themselves in the game and arguably stay there with less effort.

2 Likes

If it’s all about the freedom why can’t shipowners buy low and sell high? Do you think YOUR freedom to sell high is somehow more important than THEIR freedom to buy low?

What makes you think that your freedom is somehow special?

1 Like

Because it undermines a core… not mechanic, but idea? belief? princible? in the game. That Shops, and Coins, are meant to be used to skip grinding, and to be able to play certain playstyles.

Honestly, I would say a better way to impliment shops would be removing Coins, and instead letting the shop owners themselves set what item they want, and how much, as payment, and the number of product for that payment. Remove coins from the fact, and say, Have shop owners able to sell 50 refine stone, in exchange for 288 stone.

Or say sell 100 wood for 100 rocks, or 50 sackcloth for 50 glue.

Where people’s resources can be traded for actual things of value, and not for money which is tipically horded, invokes greed, and with Taxes on shops, completely a pain in the ass to balance a shop without making the request basket too high, or the items sold too low.

You’re wrong. They fully endorse the portal hubs.

Did they endorsed it before or after hubs were build by people in early. Also were coins and warp fees introduced after or before portals? I honestly don’t know, and this change perspective a bit.

If I have to sell 100 for 100 this is not freedom. If I can sell 1 for 100… It doesn’t solve problem you have with game.

It would fix, hopefully, one of the issues I have, that being A, Greed. And B, Prices being set so far apart from Request Baskets cause of Tax.

Use wood and rocks as an example. They pretty much equal each other in value. So 1 to 1. So if farms too much rocks for example, they can trade it for equal value of wood they might not be able to farm, being a miner.

You won’t see a shop selling 100 wood for 500 rocks, and buying 100 wood for 100 rocks.

With money tho, or common currency in general, (so no just switching coins with something else like Oord shards), is that A, people always want more of it, even if they don’t use it. I mean look at all the excuses of why shops have wildly different values for selling and buying the same items. ‘Profit’.

Money has no value! It’s just a coin, it had no meaning. You can’t eat a coin, you can’t use a coin, you can’t pay for your portal, mine with, cut down trees with, or defend yourself against mobs with coin. And yet, people will do anything and everything to get more of it.

And B, people love to horde money. To have money, just for the sake of having money. Some people, like me, will only seek out and pay the lowest prices, saving every bit of coin we can, becoming so greedy with it, because we have so little. While others make a whole lot of coin and never spend even a small percent of it, cause they don’t need to, and most likely making a lot more than they are spending each day. Hording all that cash and never using it for anything, never giving it back to the economy.

Wanna bet? Or are you saying you want to take the freedom away, and made 1 per 1 mandatory, so no one can charge two or more stones per wood etc. I really didn’t understand if you want to force fixed exchange rate or not.

I don’t care about money, I hoard items, some kinds of them I have in tens of thousands, maybe more, like iron for example iron.

Still you are contradict yourself. You want more footfall, shops to pay you more for your loot, and then you say money has no value… Why do you want it then? Hoard items instead, like I do, it’s fun :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don’t ‘want’ more footfall, I want ‘Balanced’ Footfall. I won’t deny being poor sways my feelings on that, but so does my morals and wanting of fairness. The same with shops.

I actually have a shop now, with portals to a Hub to get players in, and I try to keep my prices fair. Cheap 100c iron tools, and what I can currently afford request baskest. Going to need to up those request basket prices soon, now that I can hopefully get more money to afford it and actually put money in them.

And now, I am arguing against money, because it seems to be more of an issue, than a solution for all the reasons I pointed out. YOU horde items, yes, but you are an exception, not the rule.

It’s like the Dev Suggestion about Buying and Selling Beacons. It has some good potential in some situations. But is highly abusable and negative impacting, not just to the mechanics, but even to the moral reasonings of buying and selling plots as a concept.

As an example I used in that Thread, Without the feature Buying up 3 directions around a player, leaving one direction open, to force the player to pay you to be able to expand, is seen negatively. It’s being a bully, would argued to be griefing, and players would agree about it being morally wrong.

But if it’s a feature, it now becomes an obligation, it’s part of the game, it’s how it’s meant to be played. So the same situation, Buying up 3 directions around a player, leaving one direction open, to force the player to pay you to be able to expand, is seen a being smart. As a Tactic people should be using to make money, it’s no longer morally wrong as it’s sancioned by the Devs, and the Game Mechanics themselves, and doesn’t break the CoC. People like me would still complain about it, but most players wouldn’t care and brush it off cause it doesn’t effect them, and it’s just another part of the game, like the Grind.

To me, Coins, and the concept of money in the game, is the same. In an MMORPG, or most any game with money, Money is a core part of the game and designed around it. Items can only be bought with Money, skills in some MMORPGs need to be bought with money, Mounts and crafting supplies need money, Repairs need money, and so on.

But in Boundless, Money is a stand in, it’s only existance is someone who only collects rocks, can turn that into money first, then into another object they wish after. The example I gave is limited in that people aren’t going to be able exchange say 100k Wood for an Advance Coil. The Advance Coil seller might not want or need wood, and instead need, say Gems to keep making the machine upgrade.

Money allows trading the 100k wood into money to buy the coins easier. But it also brings with it the concept of greed. People only buying low and selling high, just to have even more money. Sure, you COULD use shout to ask people to trade 100k wood for advance coils, but since shops and money are in the game, and a feature people will be using 100% of the time, next to no one is going to be using shout to trade like that.

Even here on the Forums, with a Trading section for that kinda thing, it’s rarely used, and used more for promoting shops, or asking where to go to find items to buy, and the few ‘Trades’ actually happening, are pretty rare.

And why would they, when Coins and Shops are a part of the game.

Sell items people want/need/use a lot problem solved. Coin for everyone!

Equality ≠ Fairness. You want everyone to get equal sum of money (more or less equal, the 50/50 shenanigans are not hiding this). But the fair way is the current way, the ones who attracts most players to their plots (by any means) get the biggest payout, and that is fair.

I agree about selling plots, if it’s allowed to be done easy by mechanics it will be downhill to land speculation.

Concept of greed is not tied to game, or mechanics, but to people. People are greedy. No game mechanics or lack of them will change that.

Because people always want more, and most of them… us… want to have more than others, it’s in our nature. Be it more in-game money, RL money, prestige points, be it damage numbers (why do you think creatures HP and your damage grow in most games exponentially?), be it virtually anything, the size of the pool, the inches of TV, inches of… you know what. Changing money trade into item trade would only make people want more items instead of more money, greed would not go away.

True, but the community, and the Devs, want to promote goodness, community, being nice and helpful. As negative as I am on the forums, it’s only words, and expressing my negative emotions on how I feel about the mechanics and grind of the game.

In the actual game itself, I help people, I sell low and try to request as high as I can afford, I give freely when people ask, I help in chat when people ask questions about the game, and so on.

I’m generally a nice and helpful person. I just also complain alot and very pessimistic view point.

Anways, the community says they want people to be helpful, to be kind, to promote good and being a nice community. While at the same time, in the game they sell high, buy low, and people complaining about that they just dismiss or say ‘it’s part of the game. Nothing is wrong, get better’.

I just put myself into the shoes of other people, to see the game through their eyes. And while yes, my own feelings and emotions make that view bias, that view does help a lot. Such as the Gem and Power grind wall. The only people that don’t care about it, or have no issue with it, are those that actually climbed it, usually by getting gem tools for free from friends, or making lots of money in questionable ways and buying their way through the grind and not actually doing the grind itself.

But I can picture for myself a new player wanting to get through that grind, and how horribly it is designed. But the community just pushes that view point away. I mean seriously, go look at the thread about it, some of the people are complaining and offering suggestions, but usually it’s the same few people. Meanwhile there are a whole bunch of other people, just saying it’s fine, that they need to play better, that they should just buy the stuff instead, and so on.

Even me and you, going back and forth in most threads. I give my view point, complain about the issues I have, give suggestions I feel are fair and to me balance. And then you dismiss the issue, say my suggestion won’t work, and some of the times might agree with some statements or ideas, but generally just try to brush me off as being wrong, and playing the game the wrong way.

I just wish it wasn’t so black and white. That people say the community wants to do good and be good and helpful. But when you actually look at what goes on in the game, and read the forum threads, very rarely are the people actually supportive in most situations, especially in any kinda debate about new or existing systems.

And I’ll admit even I myself have let my emotions about a topic get to me and against someone even tho I know I am wrong. But generally I catch myself before that point and just stop responding in that thread. But most of the community seems to do negative things, minor things people over look but when you sit down and actually look at it, are very hypocritical.

I’m an Idealist, a visionary, and hopeful person. I want the game to do better, but I see a bunch of issues, and some of those issues influnce people in negative ways. In a community all about sharing and being kind and helpful, money is not a good system to have in the game.

And while yes, my trading for items isn’t a perfect solution, but there needs to be a system that mostly works, without envoking a lot of greed from the majority of players and having greed be the basic core for the entire economy of the game.

1 Like

I don’t agree with a majority of the comments here and I may be outspoken, but if you all have so much money why do I go around to tons of stores and everyone is short changing people for resources that they are to lazy to go get themselves. If you are offering less then 10 for a fibrous leaf and asking people to drop off all there beast drops for 1 a piece you are the ones I am pointing this at. There are very few people who give you a fair price on a basket and then they are selling that item in there shop for 10x the price they are offering to buy it from you for. That’s not inflation that called being a bad merchant. If people in history behaved in this manner the world we currently live in wouldn’t exist.

3 Likes

I agree to some extent, but the problem I see for the new players, and not just me, but others is that you go into a shop looking for tools that you can’t make and see a gold slingbow for 1,000c. Or a Iron Fist for 5,000c. Another store has a gold hammer for 1,500 coin. Those are way out of my price range. Highway robbery is how I see it; especially when I read here of getting a 1k coin a day for foot traffic. You can’t be hard up for coin if you are getting that much a day. Even if it is just 300 a day that is more than I am getting at 20 coins in three days. Having just around 30 hours of play, level 19, I need my coins for warp travel, so can’t afford to pay that kind of price when I’d like to have that iron fist. But I do have a lot of rock that I could make into stone if someone needs them. I’m saving up different colors of rock while I decide what colors I want. Going through wood like crazy in my furnaces as I smelt copper to make tools.
So, how do we, or rather, the developers, make it fair? And not just the footfall, where those who live near a hub can get a lot of traffic and those who live far away won’t get any. I will make a bet that most new players don’t know about footfall. I didn’t. I didn’t know that I would get coins from players walking past my base. If I had, would I have built closer to a hub city? Maybe, every little bit helps when you start out. But to be honest, I wouldn’t want to live that close. I’m a country girl who loves to live out in the country, have my hills around me, not rows and rows of houses or tall buildings.
Can I build a small base, put down a couple plots, a beacon and get coins that way to help me get money to buy the tools I need until I can make them on my own?

1 Like