The grind

I’ll be here and long after.

6 Likes

I’m overexegerating to make my Point Clear :stuck_out_tongue:

Gotcha. You know I gotta offer the counter point.
:thinking:

2 Likes

Wow, that was well said…

If I may pile this up on it, we EA players must think more of “What could/should I do now” instead of “What I couldn’t do now” as each update really change things quite a lot (which is a good thing as we achieve 1.0 mechanics!)

The “grind” has been an issue for almost a year now on each updates but I bet the more recent players didn’t feel that it is “grindy” until this update. My point is, let’s try to play around what the current mechanics of the game is instead of comparing it with the previous updates, other games, etc.

3 Likes

Someone had to, else this would be a very boring discussion :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I do, this Game is not really comparable to any other Game, its as if the Devs used every awesome aspect of every other Game on this Planet, put it in a Jar and let it undergoe its own Evolution.
And yes, you are absolutelly right, I’m quite new and for me this change is maybe a bit more hefty as for the Longtime Gamers (who had it worse before) and maybe after the Market has stopped going Apeshit everything is Back to Nice and Cosy.
But i don’t have bought this Game in Pre-Alpha state to let everything just go its way, i want to take part of this and speak up my mind if i see a Point that could kill this great game in an instance :slight_smile:
And having to grind for 2 Straight hours a Day, to get the Most basic tools is one of those cases for me :slight_smile:

2 Likes

yep freaked me out for a week now all machines are pumping something out
and i had to go mine for the resources i tryd to buy them but not in shops yet so ive been all around the world discovering fun things while at it :smile: big role in this game now is helping eachother
i make brews my friend makes spanners ,another food…
so the items get added from friends while you give what they need
if you go grind now you need to learn from experience and maybe try different trees soils rocks on diferent planets once you got your sources ready you good to go :smile:
belief me this game needed this 100procent
is an endgame actually needed in a virtual world?
maybe it needs an endless war for control over the titan ships :smile:
aquatopia has quit some wealth so it offers building players a change to build while being sponsored working together is what gonna build great citys in this game
im actually at the end game but i dont see the end its
boundless

6 Likes

don tell all pro secrets :smile:hehe

1 Like

its true even i caves :smile:
yay

Best part I read here so far.
Exactly my thinking.
Joy and satisfaction is in doing. Achieving sth is just a side effect.
Things needs balancing for sure but I see no point in looking for a system that shapes into “how to beat the game” competition. Instead just chose what to do in game and do it well. Find your place in the universe. Basic human experience in different environment (cat-like body and multiple worlds).

6 Likes

I have no ridiculous storage, and I’m perfectly happy. I just gather stuff as and when I need it. My point about a reset still stands, that it would most likely be easier.

1 Like

I have no problem with the update apart from the fact i have not enough skillpoints for maxing out my char like i want (even with the reset skills) but i am in the “no maximum skillpoints i want to do everything this game has to offer with just one char” camp anyway so…

Hunts are still very much needed for the shards. Yesterday i went on an hunt on Andoween and got 75 shards needed to make daimond tools. Havent looked into it that hard since i still have a massive amount of gem tools from the before patch period when i went on many hunts to get as much gems possible. But i must admit its probably now very grindy for new players. I could build powercoils almost inmediately because i still had the gems needed for it, so i am doing reasonably fine as it is.

Both my chars are maxed out as far as possible (lvl 50) for what i want to do with them. I do thing stuff needs adjusting though. Them orbs are not easy to obtain for instance.

Hi, my GF and me are rather casual players and enjoyed the game so far for having a mix of exploration, crafting and building.

However, since the last update, it seems to us that the grind has increased drastically and takes away a lot of the fun of mining and building.

The energy depletion is way too high. No one needs to eat every 5 mins to continue working in the real world! This is rediculous and requires you to micromanage your inventory and actions with food. BAH!

We also learned about how Compact Coal is more efficient than using regular coal over a month ago. Now it seems like we can’t create Compact Coal anymore!

Even Compact Soft Coal now seems to require Power to make. Power comes from a Compactor Power Coil I assume. To craft this Compacted Ruby is required??? WTF?
Compacted Ruby doesn’t require Power to make? This feels wrong as I am currenlty lvl 24 and haven’t even seen a gem up close.

So I go like … ‘ehm, Ok then let’s explore and find some rubies to mine?’.
I look up ‘Ruby’ on some Boundless website and it seems mining Ruby requires a gold hammer at least.
Same story… I have never seen a Gold seam.

So in short… to be able to just use coal in an efficient way like we were doing for weeks already, it looks to me I now need to:

• Create silver hammer (requires, silver alloy (requires silver and iron bars, bonding agent (requires glue and bone), cloth, stick)
  • Find and mine gold
  • Create gold hammer
  • Find and mine ruby
  • Create Compactor Power Coil
  • Attach to Compactor just to be able to Compact coal again???

It doesn’t make sense to me that to properly process resources from a starter world you need to go to other planets and even mine gems.

Way to chase away a casual player base. I am unsure if I want to continue like this. It needs to be fun, but starts to feel like work now.

3 Likes

I think there’s no question that certain things need a bit of tweaking to get the balance right, the developers have said that from the start with the new update, and that’s why they need our feedback on these points.
I personally have never really seen this type of game having an “end game”, this new update has just brought new objectives to work towards if you want to.
I can see that for some players, especially newish to mid level, that some things have become more grindy and to some degree I agree. The requirements to produce items can be a bit overwhelming at first. To balance that out maybe the durability of tools especially need to be dramatically increased to make it worthwhile going to all that trouble in the first place to make them.
What’s the point of mining for hours on end to get the materials to make silver and gold hammers to mine for even more hours to get the gems to make gem hammers that are gone before you’ve even been able to mine enough gems to replace them let alone get extra ones for weapons and power coils etc
I have the durability skill maxed out but it still doesn’t make much difference, I’ve had to go back to mining with iron hammers on off world planets looking for gems, definitely more grindy in that sense, although on the upside I’m getting more coal etc :yum:, but now I can’t compact it yet :neutral_face:

2 Likes

This is a really good thread.

For me personally, I struggled to adapt initially, because I was used to being able to make gem tools. Then, I couldn’t even compact coal (one of the regular sellers in my shop).

All of a sudden I had to make coils first. But before I could make them, I needed new materials, and had to figure out where to find them. And then I managed to place a Spark Cord in between the coil and the machine, and broke one. So I needed a gem spanner to fix it. Except now I needed even more different resources, and leather, and orbs, and…more coils… and…

After a couple of days I got my head around it, and I also found that mining once again felt worthwhile. I maxed out my luck and the number of drops from coal, tech, gem blocks is much higher.

But I’m still a solo player trying to maintain a shop of… one day everything (I keep telling myself)… when I’m competing against other shops who are teams of people with spreadsheets. But this is cool - it’s what keeps the game interesting, because it’s about other people, and not predictable or static NPCs.

Anyway, I digress. What I realise with this update is that it’s a glimpse of what 1.0 can be like, in that I can’t do everything I want to do with one character, and I will probably have to be a bit less solo - but only if I want to achieve certain things (that are only my personal ambitions, not only some kind of hard-coded endgame aims). So now I want to take part in combat and hunting, so I have an alt for that. And I’ve decided that if I really want to make gathering/mining as efficient as possible I’ll use the third character slot for that.

Which will leave my main to focus purely on the building and selling.

It’s a different reality from before the update, but I feel like there’s actually more balance now than previously. Maybe I’ll be annoyed that there aren’t enough Yucca plants, but if that’s the way it stays then that could be cool for gatherers, because it’s something that doesn’t need any skill to harvest, just a bit of time - and prices for selling that will be higher.

So, a bit of a ramble, but I like the new depth and complexity now, even if in the first 48 hours it felt frustrating that suddenly I was less… able… than before.

7 Likes

On another note. before patch i was really struggling to get enough coal. Now i drown in the stuff. And titanium, gem, gold and silver gems now all net you 3 to 5 ore’s when breaking the block, so it seems pretty nice. Probably stripmining daimonds on Andooween will be pretty good now.

@colwynB2K

You can find gold in relative abundance in the deepest depths of the ring and moon worlds. Same for silver. As a mid level player this shouldn’t really be a problem to use the portal network and get to a planet to mine stuff. On Vulpto you can mine in relative safety. If you dig deep in mountain regions just above the lava you might also find ruby gems.

3 Likes

Yeah, I get all my silver from vulpto, gold too. Its a good place to mine as you get the bonus of rubies, which are pretty plentiful!

go to plaza and use the orange portal in our world hub go to vulpto
under ground on that spot dont dig just walk around lava in caves you
gonna see the silver and gold just on walls and floor
same for rubys i sugest you go buy a gold hammer
our make one with the gold you find
also our discord channel can help ya out if ya need quick answers
for locations and stuff
and loads off more info in our info page

in info and webpages list are gem position and altitudes where most find
i found 50rubys yesterday after 2hours most where visible in caves
also good spot to get some orbs

1 Like

Yeah, i illegally use Spoyggs RedRockForum to Cherrypick Items i need.

I use it so much that i decided to Open a Ramenstore down there ;), so i see the positive Points of the Update too.
The stuff @colwynB2K talked about is the Problem i try to communicate for days xD. I have enough Alloys to take a Bath in it, but can’t use it cause i have to find Leaves/Glue and for Glue i would need Coal, Coal that i NEVER used uncompressed, and now i have to… It just doesn’t feel right, its like getting a Candy just to loose it seconds after you got it…

1 Like

I can relate on the compressed coal thing, but iirc they also boosted coal’s burn efficiency so that it’s not so bad using it uncompressed.