The grind

A week ago I couldnt get enough of this game, now I’m not sure I can be bothered any more. With the update it’s way way too grindy. Just looking at what I need now to make diamond hammers and it’s ridiculous. 25 refined Diamonds compared to 15 before, plus a load of other mats that will take me the rest of today to farm, maybe longer. Just for the bonding agent I need a ton of bones and when I go to farm them it’s taking 15 times longer than before because of stamina drain.

I do appreciate the hard work thats been put in by the devs with the latest update, it’s just now stupidly unbalanced.

7 Likes

I sadly must agree.
The grind has just simply gotten way too extreme for me to enjoy the game anymore.
Its not that i want to do everything, its just that the simplest of recipes now require sooo much more, either enormous amounts or with extremely rare items or just several levels of crafting… consumable non-consumables (like every single liquid)…
Im glad i max fuelled most of my beacons, it would take me months to gather enough materials to fuel just a few beacons for barely a month.
I do not have a lot of play time and my time is extremely valuable to me. Going on hunts was great. I didn’t mind mining once i was in a cave but now with the stamina i can’t even mine a single vein of anything without having to stand there and do nothing for like 5 seconds (every 10 seconds)…
The atlases are good for finding hotspots yes, but what use are they if you already know where to find the stuff? (Its almost always in mountains) if youre mining a rare resource, the heat map should show you how much has been depleted. An update maybe every half hour or even an hour. A lot of mining expeditions take around an hour to a few hours which would be perfect to be able to tell if you’ve gotten enough (or all) of the resorces from the area.
The update is amazing overall, but has made the game so imbalanced for me that it’s not worth my time currently. I really still want to play but after so many hours of grinding flowers just so i can make some food so i can join a 188 hunt without being completely useless… I think i have to take a bit of a break until its more balanced.

9 Likes

This is where it would be neat if tool mastery could decrease the stamina depletion of each swing. Max out your tool mastery = no stamina loss?

1 Like

The entire community is adjusting to the recent update still, but some suggestions I have that have made my play time better and more enjoyable all around after the patch:

1. invest a few skill points into base energy and energy regen. Make sure your energy regen is roughly = to your base energy so you are never waiting longer than 2 seconds to fully recharge on energy.
  2. bring snacks to keep high energy. Or, craft/buy starberry stew, loaf, or pie to get the well-fed buff to keep max energy as long as possible.
  3. don’t horde coins- spend them to get what ever you don’t want to be bothered to grind. Either completed tools, or specific components like enriched bonding agent or diamonds. You will no doubt earn back enough coin throughout your gameplay to easily afford replacement and you can sell your own goods on the same market for others playing the grind.
  4. utilize the Atlas for your most important grinding needs. This will cut a massive amount of time off of your search, and you will spend more time happily mining ores and less time searching.
17 Likes

Its not like I dont follow you but Gems and gem tools should be endgame items and deserves some grind, before it where way to easy to get.

I personally think the update is great and I love the grind and now I have a reason to explore the world :slight_smile:

13 Likes

I’m in agreement with @Dulki. I think the grind for endgame stuff like engines and advanced foods is great. It gives something to work towards.

10 Likes

But Gems aren’t the end game. Gem items fall under “Advanced” recipes. We have yet-to-be-defined-to-us “Expert” recipes that will likely take some other mats that can only be mined with gem tools.

My problem is what level should I be to be working towards these gem items? I’m currently 38, I feel like I’m in the ballpark of when I should be doing this, but it is a seriously tedious grind. If gem items are end game, that would mean I shouldn’t be trying to gather them until I’m 50, but I can do that as soon as I can craft myself a gold hammer. I had a few gold hammers before patch; not sure what the recipe looks like now.

I honestly would like to try to play after a full-on reset; no portals to make travel easy, no fully functional atlas’ available from a store to make finding mats easy - remember, you have to at least find one mat to be able to toss it in the atlas. I’m not saying I’ll enjoy the experience, I just think some things that carried over from patch-to-patch made it too easy to get/do other things. I could try that now, I suppose, but it’d be a solo grind. If the game expects us to depend on others who built their chars for a different purpose, I should have to do that from the get-go.

1 Like

If we played a full reset, we would gather materials needed over a longer time, and therefore when the time came to make things it would probably be easier, at least I think so…

2 Likes

Thanks for all your comments.@Havok40k I’ve now put over 100 SPs into energy regen and base, and it’s improved things massively.

I’m going to keep going and hope I can get into a rhythm. I really dont want to stop playing, as its one of the best games I’ve played in a long time.

7 Likes

I would not mind a full reset but at far as gems go then atm its endgame :slight_smile: they may tweek the needed items when new oorts come out like blink or darkmatter :slight_smile:

1 Like

For me this massive update was almost a bit overwhelming. So I totally understand that people feel that it is a struggle. But I also think that once we understand how everything works now it will be a lot easier.

So just take it easy and have some patience I guess. The shops should catch up soon and offer more of the new items as well.

4 Likes

Sorry, but i think you are wrong.

The Amount of Items needed to Craft High Tier Tools is crazy (And the Power need for Gemtools WHAT?, You have to have Power, to get Power or use Titanium Tools, which are not worth the Grind). Even the Iron stuff is unobtainable without Grinding at least 1-2 hours for Mass Producing Once (Cause of Glue and Sackclooth). You have to Lumber, Mine and Hunt several hundreds of Blocks where you had to get just 36 Iron and 36 Sticks before.
I play this Game like Junkies do Crack, and i loved it prior the Patch more then Every game i ever played before, but now it just feels as annoying as Creativerse…
The Amount of Grind would be Perfect for Microtransaction Games, but not for Oldschool Games.

1 Like

This is the best incarnation of the game so far. I love that there is so much content, now different roles/specs are more pronounced and we are farther from one char for all purposes than ever before. Sure you can look from different angles, but no one can deny we got much richer experience than before update. Surface resources for example, awesome addition, sure there are new recipes to learn and I find myself not knowing how to craft anything, but I like the challenge :smile:

10 Likes

But is this worth loosing a great Part of your Playerbase?
Its impossible to play Singleplayer at the moment :frowning:

But… its an MMO…

5 Likes

… Yeah and Singleplayer Gameplay is a Feature they use to advertise this Game :slight_smile:

Everyone who is fine with the Grinding Situation right now, should try starting from Scratch, its no wonder that Long time Players with Storages of Doom have no Problem at the Moment xDD

2 Likes

It really depends on what you want to do. Currently I’m doing some building with basically just natural blocks, so beside eating a few starberries and shooting a few spitters that try to kill me I don’t have much use of any skills/crafts. My point being: is game for you (not you specifically but anyone) just grinding until you get every item in game or you have some plan and use some of the skills to acomplish it, if you want to be greatest hunter, run bestest shop, have largest portal network, craft all the items, mine all the mines, gather all there is to gather, build most impressive buildings etc I don’t think you can acomplish all of that no matter what your skill set is.
The biggest issues right now is that player base is smallish and we don’t have all the mechanics in game yet.
It becomes clearer and clearer that this really is meant to be mmorpg with sandbox voxel setting, not I-can-do-it-all type of game. In any mmorpg there’s a limit of what you can do by yourself or at least manyfold less grind if you team up with others (or at least exchange services/goods).
Btw, I’m not dismissing any complaints, and devs need them to check balance of things, so keep going :smiley:
Also I do tend to lean towards solo player mode, but having fun projects with others is sometimes a nice break :wink:

P.S.: it’s late and I kinda don’t have any filters engaged right now so I might have splurted a bunch of unrelated things :rofl:

7 Likes

I think we’re sitting in the same Boat :stuck_out_tongue:

I understand that they try to establish some sort of “Class” system, so that we got Hunter, Builder, Gatherer, i’m rolling with it and made a Hunter Twink and am Thinking about a Gather Twink, and don’t get me wrong, i like that Part of the Patch, the Players had no need to buy or sell anything and now they have to.
But some Parts of the Crafting Process are so out of Control now, that it makes playing the game so incredible annoying.

I’m playing with my Brother and a Roommate of mine. My Brother hunts a lot, i Craft the Sh*t out of our Tables and my Roommate Mines. Before the patch this style was totally fine, We had a need for lets say 9 Iron Hammers a Day and maybe 2-3 Gem hammers a week. We got The Metal for the New Hammers while grinding stuff we needed for Other Projects and the gem Hammers were bought on the Market.
Everything was fine, and we just worked through our Projects. We don’t had to worry that our Production may stop completely cause we don’t have enough Overpriced Gemspanners left.

Now the hammers themself are something we have to Grind for. We have to grind 1-2 hours for Leaves to get enough for Mass Production. After that we have to grind 0,5-1 hour for Sap (to grind it we need axes 3 pP a day, that have to be crafted the same way hammers do. Because i’m already totally pissed by the hammers i now use the Totem in this case). Then we have to hunt 0,5-1 hours for Bones.
To get Glue out of Sap+Bone i need Coal or Peat, and because i have to grind for iron too i choose the coal way.
For the Iron+ Coal Grind i need just 15 Minutes, but while i grind for iron i need Hammers AND THIS IS THE PART WHERE THE CAT BITES ITS TAIL. I have to have the Tool i grind for already, to grind for it.
Lets say i fall into Lava just twice… Half a Hammer is gone and using Stone isn’t a solution cause it would double the Time needed (and we already got 2-4 hours for the grind alone, Producing it is also very Time Consuming).

And this is just one Case of Madness, this Problem is present for Every Tool after Stone and Gemtools need Leather which is even crazier to get then Fibrous Leaves.
Next Problem i saw of that sort are Gemspanners… Lets say you build a Workbench, have thrown out Every Diamond you had in stock to craft Coils and are now Producing some Cr** to test the Coils. After some Time they are all broken down and you aren’t able to produce the Spanners needed for their Repair anymore…

TL:DR I really Love this Patch, but in my Oppinion if the Devs don’t change this grinding behaviour drastically, nobody will be left to try the next Patch…

My Solution suggestion: Lower the Leaves needed for Cloth to 1 or 2, raise drop of Bark so you get 4-5 from a medium tree without Luck skilled…And throw the Power need for Gemspanners (or at least Diamond). Tools shouldn’t break completely anymore, but they shouldn’t be usable after durab is down to 0. Then we just need a Repairtable to Repair tools with their corrosponding Metal or Gem and baaaam. Everything is fine again. Ohh yeah and maybe recycleable Sacks :wink: (But don’t really needed with changes in drop or recipe)

6 Likes

Hi, I’m an old-ish player and I’ve started a new pure soloist character specifically to test this update and I would like to say that I’ve reached around level 17 so far yesterday and can’t stop playing! (Slept at 3AM :zipper_mouth_face:)

I would be lying if I say I didn’t have issues along the way. I did and specifically on the sparsity of fibrous leaves but I got over it by moving on a more lustrous area and utilizing Atlas (this Atlas is so helpful and fun!).

I’ve also changed my point of view quite a bit to “Why am I rushing the progression when I can’t achieve it comfortably?”. Right now, I just do my thing and let the resources pile up, and my character level up. It’s really quite misguiding that you can right away craft a ton of item because crafting tree is so accessible which results to you getting overwhelmed with the recipes not knowing that probably now is still not the time yet for them.

My overall experience with the game, character progression and specialization is starting to be more distinct. Surface resources will not only render the surface area for fighting but also for gathering (You’ll encounter more people yay!). Energy mechanics feels good for me too. Gets me on check all the time and I have more than enough food for it to be a problem.

In the end, I still think we need to tweak some numbers up. As some have said, the common items should be really common. Some resources like fibrous leaves could be a problem once we have higher population density and even currently, it’ll take some time if you’re bulk crafting. Bone is another one. Getting my 4 bones for crafting took me around 15 mobs to kill and with my peasant build, it’s quite a chore. (Or probably I’m just very unlucky!?). I have yet to test the scarcity of other items as I progress!

7 Likes

This update is taking the game to where few mmos are brave enough to go, bringing a community toward a macrocosmic interdependence that removes the economical and social monopolies that dictate most mass player systems. Creating a culture of cooperation imitates a more pure, humanistic experience. I, for one, am over the other mmo type grinds that so many have autonomously become accustomed to which are to say 'whoever has the most and hoards the most and has the most skills in every job is king. This accomplishes what exactly? So you can brag about it? Feel good about your prowess. It strokes the ego and is potentially creating personal unfulfillment or emptiness.This way of playing does little for a game economy and social system other than create idols.
This update introduces balance and is counter gaming-culture. I say let it be what it is. Relenquish that empty agenda to dominate, this is a socially constucted motivator. Plenty of fps and paid mmos thrive on this nature. So I challenge the players of this grest game to see the vision and break the mold. This is a direction that social gamers could benefit from.

14 Likes